Author Topic: Top 28 set?  (Read 15793 times)

Re: Top 28 set?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 08:24:37 AM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
I can't honestly say whether it is the GM's or just the press trying to second guess everything, and make something out of nothing, but surely some are very fickle

while these guys appear to be rocketing up the board
Jason Thompson (F/C 6-11 250 Rider)
Joe Alexander (F 6-8 230 West Virginia)
Ryan Anderson

These guys are free falling
JaVale McGee (C 7-0 235 Nevada)
DeAndre Jordan (C 7-0 240 Texas A&M)
Donte Green (SF 6-8 215 Syracuse)
Bill Walker (SF 6-6 220 Kansas State)

Walker I understand dropping like a rock as he injured the same knee again, which brings him to the category of complete risk.

While McGee and Jordan are falling strictly because people feel they are a year and more likely 2 years from being contributers, never mind starters.

I cant seem to find a reason why Green is falling, might someone have an explanation?

My point is, that guys constantly move up and down the board
depending on flavor of the day, "leaked"  ::) workout reports and rumors. This particular draft seems to change daily on any picks later then 7.

Also, by looking at things that have happened in the past (PP falling to ten, Sam Bowie over Jordan and so on) The chances are at least one or two guys(probably more) will fall and be sitting in the green room, when the second round starts. Leaving us with at the very least, a good player or a very tradable asset.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 09:18:48 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Gary Forbes from U-Mass is an intriguing thought.  He's 6'7" SF who, if the C's put the right team together, could spend some time polishing his game.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I can't honestly say whether it is the GM's or just the press trying to second guess everything, and make something out of nothing, but surely some are very fickle

Ryan Anderson

Walker I understand dropping like a rock as he injured the same knee again, which brings him to the category of complete risk.

While McGee and Jordan are falling strictly because people feel they are a year and more likely 2 years from being contributers, never mind starters.

Sources?  I called you on this yesterday as I could find no legitimate source that had Jordan where you thought he'd be, are you just going on your own insight, or is there a legitimate mock with Jordan in the second round?  I'll bet you 3 TPs that Jordan goes top 15....
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 12:04:48 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
They were talking about Jordan on ESPN today. They said he has the toolbox buy cant find the keys. He is still a big time prospect and probably wont slip past #20 anc could still go in the lottery. Theres no way he falls to the second round.

McGee is falling because teams think he wont be able to contribute for a few years. Thats probably true for Jordan as well.

Walker is falling due to his injury concerns but I wouldnt be surprised if he has a first round promise already.

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 12:34:44 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Ryan Anderson

Sources?  I called you on this yesterday as I could find no legitimate source that had Jordan where you thought he'd be, are you just going on your own insight, or is there a legitimate mock with Jordan in the second round?  I'll bet you 3 TPs that Jordan goes top 15....

I know Chad Ford has mentioned those guys are falling for a little while now.  I think I have seen it elsewhere too. 

It is pretty unlikely that either of them fall to 30, but supposedly Ajinka has leapfrogged both of them.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 12:38:21 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I won't be surprised if Jordan is falling. Despite only seeing him playing about 20 minutes or so, I've just written this in another thread:

"I'm much more worried about guys like Koufos (a complete stiff, lacking both athleticism and skills) or Jordan (a fundamental mess, who'll need to have his game rebuilt from the very beginning - something that demands the right environment, lots of heart and hard work from the player and that basic innate feel for the game - three things that only rarely happen simultaneously)."

I know 15 years old kids who have been playing for 2 years that already have better overall skills than Jordan. He has great athleticism, but that's something guys like Kandi, POB or Petro weren't/aren't missing. Extremely high risk pick.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 12:40:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
i am an iu fan, and while i think eric gordon is overrated, i think dj white is going to be a good one. not sure if we need another guy of that size, but IMHO, he will be a good player in the nba, similar to al horford, though maybe not quite that good.

I like White too.  I don't think he really fits on this team right now, but whoever gets him I think will be very happy with him.  My hope is that another team sees this and picks him in the 20's, pushing a guy who would fit better on the C's down to us.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 02:03:35 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
the wild cards seem like:

Ryan Anderson
JJ Hickson
Serge Ibaka

a lot of reports suggest that these guys are attractive to GMs. the Spurs would be an interesting spot for Anderson, and Hickson could be attractive to a team like the Hornets who need some depth in the front court. their backup big in the playoffs was Ely..

but the Spurs could be the team that grabs one of those Cs if they drop....like McGee or Thompson or Ajinca, and they also need to groom a backup PG and certainly would look at Chalmers if he was there.

and the Hornets definitely need another scorer on the wing because MoPete IMO was inconsistent in the playoffs, so they could easily nab any of the wings that drop like Rush or CDR or Batum or Lee...

i would love to get Batum at #30, but a lot of teams would have to really mess up for that to happen...

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 09:55:57 PM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14

Ryan Anderson

By reading scouting reports, listening to the so called "experts" and there are a couple of mocks that he started top 15, but has dropped into the 20 range.

The point of the post wasn't necessarily to say that we will end up with any of these guys (but, one can always hope) The point was that GM's are notorious for letting guys slide, or drafting for need rather than taking the best available player. This on it's own says, we could end up with a decent player at 30. I certainly wont count on it but, at the same time, it could very easily happen. (This is why I pointed to the bowie over Jordan and 9 other guys over PP)

Fact is that in general teams drafting in the top 20, have needs that can't wait a year or two to develop and have to take this in to consideration while drafting. Do you draft McGee on upside or do you take what is most likely instant help in a D.J. White or a Hickson if you need immediate help.

When I posted the other day, I had just watched a Chad Ford interview with a scout and the scout said "don't be surprised at all if someone like McGee falls through the cracks in to the second round" Because there are a lot of teams out there looking for immediate help in what is being labeled a fairly deep draft.

P.S. Sorry that sometimes I take some time to respond but, I have just had major back surgery and am on heavy doses of morphine and still have days that getting out of bed is basically impossible, or I am on so much morphine that I can watch the paint peel with great excitement lol
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:05:51 PM by sns0274 »
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 10:58:45 PM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
All GMs seem to crave big athletic players since the NBA is a bigger and faster league than college etc.  It's critical that GMs do their homework on players that do drop. Ainge made several crucial errors on dropping players that he had not sufficiently scouted.  The most celebrated being Gerald Green.  He also erred on Pruit who wasn't a first round talent and hardly a capable NBA PG.

While athleticism and size are desirable equally important yardsticks include basketball IQ, determination to succeed and whether the player is fundamentally sound.  These seem to be threshold requirements for first round selections where $$$ is guaranteed.

The "Big Baby's" are out there in the second round as well.  While Davis has size issues he certainly proved to be a quality bench addition.  It may be to our advantage to move DOWN in the draft when desirable talent is lacking.  Such a move could preserve $$$$ since second round selections don't usually have guaranteed money and the pay scale is more friendly to our salary cap. 

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 11:27:30 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
jr giddens is still my guy. kid can do it all well and would fit right in here. like we really need another 6'9 pf on this roster.

Smart man! TP!  I love Giddens.

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 11:32:56 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
IMO the better question is:

Is our draft position set at #30?

That is, Dealer Danny never sleeps.  Just about every championship team I can think of did something in terms of personnel the following year.  Despite how much we all love the Celtics, they are not a perfect roster.

It will be interesting to see if we move up, trade the pick, or a combo of the two.

After hearing Wyc talk with Don Orsillio during the Sox game the other day I can't help but think Mr. Executive of Year will strike (at least) once more.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 10:14:14 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
IMO the better question is:

Is our draft position set at #30?

That is, Dealer Danny never sleeps.  Just about every championship team I can think of did something in terms of personnel the following year.  Despite how much we all love the Celtics, they are not a perfect roster.

It will be interesting to see if we move up, trade the pick, or a combo of the two.

After hearing Wyc talk with Don Orsillio during the Sox game the other day I can't help but think Mr. Executive of Year will strike (at least) once more.

there was another report from Draft Express that Danny is looking to move out the #30 spot due to the not being so enamored of the players likely to be acvailable there.

all the wing players mentioned are interesting prospects, but #30 might be a little high for them.  the Mbah's, Weems, Giddens, etc...all could be great additions to our team. i just wonder how we can get them for the right price...

i have posted many of Weems' dunks in another thread, but here is a pretty sick one by Giddens:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vqUoFxDNzlk&feature=related

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 10:21:38 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 10:24:46 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
All GMs seem to crave big athletic players since the NBA is a bigger and faster league than college etc.  It's critical that GMs do their homework on players that do drop. Ainge made several crucial errors on dropping players that he had not sufficiently scouted.  The most celebrated being Gerald Green.  He also erred on Pruit who wasn't a first round talent and hardly a capable NBA PG.

It's a little early to declare Pruitt to be a bad pick. And it's not like he passed over great talent to take him. How does Gerald Green and one rookie that didn't get into the games become several crucial errors?