Author Topic: Top 28 set?  (Read 15787 times)

Top 28 set?
« on: June 21, 2008, 11:07:59 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
i have been studying all the different Mocks - as i'm sure we all have - and it is starting to seem to me that the Top 28 prospects is pretty set. the order obviously will change quite a bit within the Top 28, but it seems to me that almost all of these guys are going before our pick.

Derrick Rose (PG 6-4 195 Memphis)
Michael Beasley (PF 6-9 230 Kansas State)
O.J. Mayo (G   6-4 195 USC)
Jerryd Bayless (PG 6-3 190 Arizona)
Kevin Love (PF/C 6-9 260 UCLA)
Russell Westbrook (PG 6-3 190 UCLA)
Eric Gordon (SG 6-5 205 Indiana)
Joe Alexander (F 6-8 230 West Virginia)
Brook Lopez (C 7-0 245 Stanford)
Danilo Gallinari (SF 6-9 210 Italy)
D.J. Augustin (PG 5-11 180 Texas)
Anthony Randolph (F 6-11 215 LSU)
Darrell Arthur (F 6-10 215 Kansas)
JaVale McGee (C 7-0 235 Nevada)
DeAndre Jordan (C 7-0 240 Texas A&M)
Marreese Speights (F/C 6-10 240 Florida)
Kosta Koufos (C 7-0 260 Ohio State)
Donte Green (SF 6-8 215 Syracuse)
Brandon Rush (SG 6-7 200 Kansas)
Robin Lopez (C 7-0 255 Stanford)
Chris Douglas-Roberts (SG 6-7 200 Memphis)
Nicolas Batum (SF 6-8 212 France)
Roy Hibbert (C 7-2 265 Georgetown)
Mario Chalmers (PG 6-1 190 Kansas)
Bill Walker (SF 6-6 220 Kansas State)
Alexis Ajinca (PF/C 7-1 240 France)
Jason Thompson (F/C 6-11 250 Rider)
Courtney Lee G 6-5 200 Western Kentucky)

and it seems like if we are going BPA that it will come from this list

Nathan Jawai (C 6-10 270 Australia)
Richard Hendrix (PF 6-9 255 Alabama)
J.J. Hickson (PF 6-9 240 NC State)
DJ White (PF 6-9 250 Indiana)
Ante Tomic (C 7-2 245 Croatia)
DeVon Hardin (C 6-11 250 U of Cal)
Ryan Anderson
Serge Ibaka

it's weird. it is seeming like the it stops right before us where that consensus players are. the only guys on that lower list that seem like they might move up are Hickson and Andreson.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 11:37:26 PM by winsomme »

Re: Top 28 set?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 11:50:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm not sure why you would assume the top 28 picks are set.  Why, because mock drafts predict it?  Last I checked, the guys writing these mocks aren't the ones making the picks.

Secondly, I'm not sure how you chose the 28 players you did.  For instance, Bill Walker -- a player you put firmly in your top 28 -- is listed at #34 on nbadraft.net, and #37 on draftexpress.  Jason Thompson -- another player in your top 28 -- is listed at #34 on draftexpress, and #25 on nbadraft.net.  Courtney Lee is #33 on nbadraft.net, and #22 on draftexpress.  For those three players (and I'm sure a couple of others on your list), there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus that at all as to where they'll go.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 11:57:50 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I'm not sure why you would assume the top 28 picks are set.  Why, because mock drafts predict it?  Last I checked, the guys writing these mocks aren't the ones making the picks.

Secondly, I'm not sure how you chose the 28 players you did.  For instance, Bill Walker -- a player you put firmly in your top 28 -- is listed at #34 on nbadraft.net, and #37 on draftexpress.  Jason Thompson -- another player in your top 28 -- is listed at #34 on draftexpress, and #25 on nbadraft.net.  Courtney Lee is #33 on nbadraft.net, and #22 on draftexpress.  For those three players (and I'm sure a couple of others on your list), there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus that at all as to where they'll go.

just the feeling i am getting from watching the movement on the different mocks and the rumors about promises and who is having good workouts.

Bill Walker seems to have a promise in the first round. that's the impression i am getting.

Courtney Lee is having tremendous workouts according to Ford and Thorpe.

Katz is saying that Thompson is getting a serious look in the teens...etc, etc...

i never said it was a lock, but it is just seeming to me that that is pretty set as far as players that will be gone before our pick...

the other guy  that could move up is Ibaka.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 12:01:06 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think both of those lists are pretty accurate. The 28 listed there seem to be the top tier of the draft. The list we have to choose from seems to be where it drops off but theres still some intriguing prospects. I like Nathan Jawai or Devon Hardin at #30. Too bad its almost all PF's..a position that is way full. It seems as though we'll be forced to go for a legit Center or take a less talented wing.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 12:03:14 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
The Knicks won't take anyone in that top 28...Oh wait no I. Thomas, maybe they will. The Draft will have some surprises I'm sure.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 12:05:54 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I think both of those lists are pretty accurate. The 28 listed there seem to be the top tier of the draft. The list we have to choose from seems to be where it drops off but theres still some intriguing prospects. I like Nathan Jawai or Devon Hardin at #30. Too bad its almost all PF's..a position that is way full. It seems as though we'll be forced to go for a legit Center or take a less talented wing.

yeah, i would love to get an athletic wing player in this draft, but it seems like the best players that will be there are more PF types....

my ideal draft would be Lee or Batum at #30 and Kaun at #60....

but more likely for wings it seems like Mbah a Moute, Forbes, Weems, Weaver guys like that...

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 12:08:49 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Lawson and Budinger dropping out hurt in terms of people dropping to us at #30.

and also Claver and Casspi withdrawing hurt because they were intriguing SF prospects.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 12:22:06 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
If Lawson and Budinger had stayed in the draft we would have had a chance to get Bill Walker or CDR. Now we'll probably be limited to a long list of PF's with a few Center prospects.

Crazy things happen on draft night though. Some players fall so you never know who is gonna be on the board.

I do like Kyle Weaver a lot. He is a 6'6" SG capable of playing the point. He played in a 3 PG offense in college but he was the "quarterback" for the team. He can slash and make things happen. He also has long arms and a lot of defensive potential. He could give us a Wing to bring along. Playing with guys like Pierce, Allen and Posey..what more could you ask for?

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 01:47:47 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

just the feeling i am getting from watching the movement on the different mocks and the rumors about promises and who is having good workouts.

Bill Walker seems to have a promise in the first round. that's the impression i am getting.

Katz is saying that Thompson is getting a serious look in the teens...etc, etc...

i never said it was a lock, but it is just seeming to me that that is pretty set as far as players that will be gone before our pick...

I wouldn't pay to much attention to that.  every year, the GMs get better at playing the game with feeding these 'draft experts' with fake information. 

They want their guy to drop to them. 

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 01:53:10 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
jr giddens is still my guy. kid can do it all well and would fit right in here. like we really need another 6'9 pf on this roster.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 02:15:52 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Actually, I don't really agree that the top 28 are set ... much may still change, and I would not have the exact same list that you have here, (though the majority is pretty accurate).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 02:27:23 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Actually, I don't really agree that the top 28 are set ... much may still change, and I would not have the exact same list that you have here, (though the majority is pretty accurate).

When Detroit goes on the clock, I'll be ready to agree that the top 28 are set.

Until then, anything can (and likely will) happen.

But I'll TP you now for taking the time to come up with the list, winsomme, and I'll take this moment to promise another one if you've got all 28 pegged correctly.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 02:59:51 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I wouldn't pay to much attention to that.  every year, the GMs get better at playing the game with feeding these 'draft experts' with fake information. 

They want their guy to drop to them. 

Exactly.  The mocks are always off.  There is always one or two wild-cards that end up throwing everything off behind them. 

Also, I would not put it past Danny to pull a wildcard out at 30.  I wouldn't be surprised to see someone no one expects be called by the C's.  Maybe Plaisted, Kyle Weaver, Jamont Gordon, or Omer Asik.

Danny has been known to pull good players out of nowhere before, and I wouldnt be surprised to see it this year as well.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 07:05:58 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
i am an iu fan, and while i think eric gordon is overrated, i think dj white is going to be a good one. not sure if we need another guy of that size, but IMHO, he will be a good player in the nba, similar to al horford, though maybe not quite that good.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 08:21:01 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
DJ White intrigues me...

likes to bang underneath, and has a decent / polished low-post game.  the big 10 is a very physical league, and he has the skills that appear to be similar to jason maxiell.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."