Author Topic: Gerald Green - What's really going on?  (Read 11692 times)

Re: Gerald Green - What's really going on?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 11:23:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
A player who has the potential to be a rotation player to quality starter will always beat out the better player with no potential.

There's quite a few guys in the D-League who are better than some of these raw kids in the league but because they're not perceived to have potential at the next level teams pass on them in order to keep/sign the potential and develop that.
Green should be in the league next year. He shouldn't play. His team should spend 12 months working on his game. At that point his NBA career should be on the rise or over. Still too early to write him off completely, he's been in the wrong situations for his whole career.

I don't get the D-League and how the NBA uses it. If used like baseball, every team would have a farm team to develop players like Gerald. Teams should have their own coaches running the same system and terminology that the big league club uses and players should stay there for a couple of years not months or days.

Now I realize the C's are trying or have gotten a team in Maine? But they still won't have total rights to players on that team. The C's and all other teams should be able to draft players like Brandon Wallace and be allowed to develop them for years. Why let European leagues steal all these players? I know they can pay more but Davis Stern could stop investing money into the black hole known as the WNBA and really make the NBDL a great place for players to show expansion and growth.
NBA teams look like they're still trying to figure out how best to use the D-League. I'm not wild about it as is, I'm even less wild about a full fledged minor league system. A 15 man roster is enough, if you need more 15 players to play a 5 vs 5 game you're doing something wrong. Let's just keep the best of the best and the rest can find jobs elsewhere.

Plus I'm not sure how good it is for young players to play at such a low level. I'm very upset at all the bad habits and complete lack of development Amir Johnson has seen in two full years down there. There's a couple of others also like Bracey Wright.

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 11:51:03 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I think the four points below sum it up, though they overlap.

1. Gerald is not smart.
2. He does not have the work ethic for the pros.
3. He has a low basketball I.Q.
4. He does not realize the above three.

I don't think anyone was higher on Gerald than me when he was drafted.  I thought we had the steal of the draft.  I was praying he wouldn't fall to the Lakers.  They passed on him, and I was thrilled.  At the time I still had reliable connections with administrators at OSU and they were raving about him.  Maybe a year or two with Eddie Sutton would have made the difference.  Knowing Eddie however, I think he would have had his hands full trying to teach him.

Bottom line, freaky athleticism doesn't equal superstar. They're usually nothing but teasers.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 11:07:59 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
i didn't know green was missing a finger. this might explain his streaky shooting.

did you watch the team last year? that was common knowledge, it was kinda funny in a sick way how he did it - apparantly he was wearing his mother's ring and jumped up and it caught on a nail and his finger ripped off...eww (why he was wearing his mother's ring...I don't know)

from all accounts though, the finger has caused zero problems with his jump shot, it happened when he was little so he adjusted to it pretty easily
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 11:13:30 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Gerald is just a young hot head who thought going to the NBA would be as easy as his flashy high school play. He didnt realize how hard he has to  work to make it in the league.

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 11:14:30 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
a couple interesting pics I came across while trying to find pictures of GG's 9.5 fingers

someone made a wallpaper and added the half finger back...ah photoshop:

again people with photoshop are weird:

and finally, even in the toy world, GG has 10 fingers (McFarlane wouldn't have done this imo)

When you love life, life loves you right back