Author Topic: Gerald Green - What's really going on?  (Read 11718 times)

Gerald Green - What's really going on?
« on: June 21, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Is there something else wrong with this kid other than his lack of D and seeming inability to understand the playbook?

Just asking cause his strengths and proven ability to score (not just dunk) in the NBA should get him a spot on an NBA team - there are a lot of players who contribute less than he could, have zero   potential and get paid more on rosters including the Cs

Pollard
Scalabrine
and even Cassell come to mind

yeah I said it.....

drugs, Vin Bakerism, inability to keep his pants on... there must be something wrong

je ne comprende

even Cassell

Re: Gerald Green - What's really going on?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 01:22:54 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Sam is 100000000000000 times more help than Geraldo in this team
Pollar with his 3? games is 3 times better than GG in this team

Dont make me pick between Scal and GG
Probably Scal will win

And Redz here is your 2nd GG thread on the Off Season  ;)

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 01:28:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Is there something else wrong with this kid other than his lack of D and seeming inability to understand the playbook?

Both Doc and Paul said that Gerald had a problem with his work ethic.  Doc also said that he'd heard that was the problem in Minnesota.

"I think he has a chance to be a very good player in our league, but he has to mature," Rivers said. "Before you can take the next step, you have to understand you need the work and you need to do the work. Gerald does it, just not as consistently as coaches would like him to do".
"He is talented. He has potential. But he's not ready to play in the NBA. And it's not just him. There are a lot of guys like him. In my first year, I was killed for not playing Marcus Banks and, now, four years later, he's still not playing. But I also believe Marcus can play. But, like Gerald, he has to understand there's work to do and he has to commit to it."
"He frustrated [Minnesota coach] Randy [Whitman] quite a bit. The difference between Randy and me was that Randy didn't feel the need to play him. We played him anyway."

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 01:34:08 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Cassell, Pollard and Scal are basketball players. Gerald Green, not so much.

The first time I saw Gerald playing for the C's, I remembered when Kandi was drafted with the 1st pick, then came to Europe to play for Kinder and everybody went: "wow, he doesn't even know how to play...". With Gerald, it was that exact same feeling, as it is with some projected lotto picks in this draft.

Eventually, they'll learn some things, just not enough to make them NBA-caliber players. People are fooling themselves when they believe that Green has potential. He has terrific athleticism, but that's not basketball potential.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 01:37:46 PM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Both Doc and Paul said that Gerald had a problem with his work ethic.  Doc also said that he'd heard that was the problem in Minnesota.

"I think he has a chance to be a very good player in our league, but he has to mature," Rivers said. "Before you can take the next step, you have to understand you need the work and you need to do the work. Gerald does it, just not as consistently as coaches would like him to do".
"He is talented. He has potential. But he's not ready to play in the NBA. And it's not just him. There are a lot of guys like him. In my first year, I was killed for not playing Marcus Banks and, now, four years later, he's still not playing. But I also believe Marcus can play. But, like Gerald, he has to understand there's work to do and he has to commit to it."
"He frustrated [Minnesota coach] Randy [Whitman] quite a bit. The difference between Randy and me was that Randy didn't feel the need to play him. We played him anyway."

Thanks was curious - what a waste of talent.

Sam is 100000000000000 times more help than Geraldo in this team
Pollar with his 3? games is 3 times better than GG in this team

Dont make me pick between Scal and GG
Probably Scal will win

And Redz here is your 2nd GG thread on the Off Season  ;)

Cassell -  afew seasons ago maybe  - this season a waste of time in my opinion... a decent punt maybe but nothing more. C's would have won the play-offs with an empty space where Sam was - in fact his shot selection cost the team a few times

Good cheerleader though
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 01:43:05 PM by Induna »

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 03:07:09 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Just asking cause his strengths and proven ability to score (not just dunk) in the NBA should get him a spot on an NBA team - there are a lot of players who contribute less than he could, have zero   potential and get paid more on rosters including the Cs

Pollard
Scalabrine

yeah I said it.....

drugs, Vin Bakerism, inability to keep his pants on... there must be something wrong

je ne comprende

even Cassell

Why would anyone compare Gerald Green to those 3? Isn't the difference obvious? GG doesn't help a team win.

He had a nice J and can dunk, but he his effect on most teams would be negative and his slow development makes it seem improbable that he will ever be much of an NBA player.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 03:09:41 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

Pollard
Scalabrine

yeah I said it.....

je ne comprende

even Cassell

the problem is you can't fix dumb.... GG would be a really nice player for the Harlem Globetrotters or the AND1 Mixtape tour, but a guy who can't fit into a system, BOTH defensively and offensively, cannot find a place in the league - if he was stellar under team d and coudln't figure out offense, he'd have a place, and vice versa, he could be hidden, but he brings literally nothing to the table besides sexy talent, which can only take you so far.  Think of a player who was labeled "dumb" (basketball wise, dont' get me started) who has been able to make it in the league - guys like Kederick Brown, Keon Clark, Harold Miner are all very similar to him in terms of athletic freak, can't play in the league
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 04:15:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
A player who has the potential to be a rotation player to quality starter will always beat out the better player with no potential.

There's quite a few guys in the D-League who are better than some of these raw kids in the league but because they're not perceived to have potential at the next level teams pass on them in order to keep/sign the potential and develop that.

Green should be in the league next year. He shouldn't play. His team should spend 12 months working on his game. At that point his NBA career should be on the rise or over. Still too early to write him off completely, he's been in the wrong situations for his whole career.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 05:06:44 PM »

Offline Spoon

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Cassell -  afew seasons ago maybe  - this season a waste of time in my opinion... a decent punt maybe but nothing more. C's would have won the play-offs with an empty space where Sam was - in fact his shot selection cost the team a few times

Good cheerleader though
I don't think you understand. Cassell contributes to a team even when he doesn't play. He helped Rondo. So for that reason alone he was valuable compared to what would have been a wasted roster space with Gerald.

Even Scal is worth a roster space over Gerald since he understands the Celtic defense and wouldn't have to be babied.

Sitting on a bench being a 12th man isn't going to help Gerald. He has tried that with two NBA teams and has failed. Obviously practicing with elite players like Paul didn't make him better. Something is wrong his either him or his game. He really needs to try and make it in Europe.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 07:04:14 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
A player who has the potential to be a rotation player to quality starter will always beat out the better player with no potential.

There's quite a few guys in the D-League who are better than some of these raw kids in the league but because they're not perceived to have potential at the next level teams pass on them in order to keep/sign the potential and develop that.
Green should be in the league next year. He shouldn't play. His team should spend 12 months working on his game. At that point his NBA career should be on the rise or over. Still too early to write him off completely, he's been in the wrong situations for his whole career.

I don't get the D-League and how the NBA uses it. If used like baseball, every team would have a farm team to develop players like Gerald. Teams should have their own coaches running the same system and terminology that the big league club uses and players should stay there for a couple of years not months or days.

Now I realize the C's are trying or have gotten a team in Maine? But they still won't have total rights to players on that team. The C's and all other teams should be able to draft players like Brandon Wallace and be allowed to develop them for years. Why let European leagues steal all these players? I know they can pay more but Davis Stern could stop investing money into the black hole known as the WNBA and really make the NBDL a great place for players to show expansion and growth.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 07:22:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Tell this to the Kandiman. Gerald, by the way, is still to beat anyone for a bench spot.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 09:21:13 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Anyone really know what is going on?
If he does need to work on his game and
improve his work ethic, what has he done to
take it to the next level. Anyone know?
Is he still working with John Lucas?

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 09:45:40 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Anyone really know what is going on?
If he does need to work on his game and
improve his work ethic, what has he done to
take it to the next level. Anyone know?
Is he still working with John Lucas?

He needs to be working out with current NBA players. Though I'm trying to convince everyone to trade Ray Allen on another thread, he'd be an ideal mentor for Gerald.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 09:56:43 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i didn't know green was missing a finger. this might explain his streaky shooting.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 11:18:24 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
i didn't know green was missing a finger. this might explain his streaky shooting.
He's not missing his entire finger, just a portion of one of them. It's kind of neat and disgusting (at the same time) to look at.

To the OP: Gerald Green has talent... and still does. He's the poster child of a preps to pros player who needed college basketball. He really should have taken one or two years, if not three or four, to adapt to a structured environment where he would be able to hone on needed skills for the next stage. His finger, IMO, has little if not totally irrelevant to the delivery of his shot. For what it's worth, I believe his shooting ability is perfectly fine, and that his shooting struggles at times was more a function of throwing up shots that weren't in his comfort zone than a bad release.

Fact: Gerald Green is a catch and shoot weapon who really never developed a handle, nor vision to be a facilitator in a 5 on 5 game.

And with destroyed confidence, he has trouble executing the parts of his game which are supposed to come naturally for him. I really hope he gets it together and manages to have a long NBA career, but I have my doubts seeing as where his career has taken him.