Author Topic: Does winning the championship mean increased revenues for the Celitcs?  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
We've got players and assistant coaches that we would like to have back.  I'm sure they want to be back.  All it would take is lots and lots of $.  So my questions are:

1)  Will the championship bring additional revenus to the team?  If so, will it be significant?

2)  What are some additional sources of revenue besides ticket sales that are affected by a team's success during the post season?

3)  I live in Atlanta, not Boston.  I'm wondering why TD Banknorth isn't bigger than it is in terms of seating capacity.  Is it always a sell-out?

Do you think the team can afford to take a greater luxury tax hit next year?

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It sure will. 

I guarantee that ticket prices increase.  Secondly, the Celtics will be able to charge more for corporate sponsorships, etc.  I'm not sure when we next have to renegotiate our television deal, but that's another area of increased revenue.  Also, while we don't get money from concessions, etc., I know the team gets a cut of all programs and merchandise sold on site. 

The team turned a profit this year, even when paying a heavy luxury tax.  I read somewhere that every dollar earned after from Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals onward was profit for the team, meaning that despite the heavy investment, this team brought a return. 

I don't think monetary concerns will be a holdup in terms of this team attempting to improve next year.  However, we only have a limited number of exceptions under the salary cap to work with, so I wouldn't expect any major spending sprees.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
It sure will. 

I guarantee that ticket prices increase.  Secondly, the Celtics will be able to charge more for corporate sponsorships, etc.  I'm not sure when we next have to renegotiate our television deal, but that's another area of increased revenue.  Also, while we don't get money from concessions, etc., I know the team gets a cut of all programs and merchandise sold on site. 

The team turned a profit this year, even when paying a heavy luxury tax.  I read somewhere that every dollar earned after from Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals onward was profit for the team, meaning that despite the heavy investment, this team brought a return. 

I don't think monetary concerns will be a holdup in terms of this team attempting to improve next year.  However, we only have a limited number of exceptions under the salary cap to work with, so I wouldn't expect any major spending sprees.

Thank you, Roy Hobbs.  I appreciate your knowledge and information.  I know we don't agree on Rondo, but that's ok (and beneficial) to have a difference in perspective.  Who knows, Danny Ainge might be a regular visitor on this site!  It helps to hear varying perspectives.

Here's what I find puzzling.  I could be wrong but it seems to me that college teams have a wider, more loyal fan base than professional teams.  I mean, around here, for every Atlanta Hawks merchandise you see, you will easily see over a hundred bearing the University of Georgia.  I find that surprising, considering that the NBA is national, as well as local. But UGA is only local.  I bet UGA makes more money off merchandise than the Atlanta Hawks.

I hope this championship brings significant new business opportunities for the Celtics.  Mr. Grouseback has been very generous.  We certainly want him and his partners to make the substantial profit that they deserve.  I have no doubt they will use that money to keep this team competitive for the next few years. 

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I read somewhere that every dollar earned after from Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals onward was profit for the team, meaning that despite the heavy investment, this team brought a return. 

Maybe that's why we saw fans in Doc and Thibodeau's normal seats for Game 6....  ;)

I was told by a Celtics employee last season that the C's had the smallest season ticket base in the NBA.  That's about to change dramatically.  But they're also going to see a huge growth both in sponsorships and luxury box sales.  I really give the ownership credit regarding the price increases for next year -- at least for my seats.  They didn't stick to you the way they could have.  You have to expect an increase, but I think they showed some loyalty to their fans who stuck it out through all the crappy years. 

I'm a big fan of Wyc and Co.  These guys are first class all the way.

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I hate that the C's have to share their merchandising profits with bad teams like Memphis and Atlanta. >:(
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I hate that the C's have to share their merchandising profits with bad teams like Memphis and Atlanta. >:(

Well good teams shared their profits with us when we were in bad times, so I think it is fair.

NF.
#18 is coming...

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White

Well good teams shared their profits with us when we were in bad times, so I think it is fair.

NF.

True enough.  We want all of the teams to be financially successful.  Elsewise, who can we compete with besides the Lakers!

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I guarantee that ticket prices increase. 

True enough, but I think we'll find that the ownership is being fair and reasonable.

Case in point.  After last season's dismal performance, the team offered me an incentive to renew my season tickets and upgrade from half season to full season.  My per-ticket price went from $25 to $20.

My renewal for next year went from the $25 base per ticket to $28.  Considering the money they poured in, the improvement in the product, and the general increase in the cost of everything in this economy, added to the fact that they now have a waiting list and they probably could have upped the ante even more, I'm happy.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

NF.

I think the C's always have had decent merchandising sales. Even in TN, where I live, I have always seen people wearing Celtic gear. Funny though, I never see people wearing Grizzly stuff.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I guarantee that ticket prices increase. 

True enough, but I think we'll find that the ownership is being fair and reasonable.

Case in point.  After last season's dismal performance, the team offered me an incentive to renew my season tickets and upgrade from half season to full season.  My per-ticket price went from $25 to $20.

My renewal for next year went from the $25 base per ticket to $28.  Considering the money they poured in, the improvement in the product, and the general increase in the cost of everything in this economy, added to the fact that they now have a waiting list and they probably could have upped the ante even more, I'm happy.

That's an increase of, what, 12%?  I think that's fairly reasonable.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
$100 tix discounted to $95 and then raised to $105.  Very reasonable.