Author Topic: Celts legends should have had greater role - a missed opportunity  (Read 4056 times)

Re: Celts legends should have had greater role - a missed opportunity
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 12:37:49 AM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
 Pierce spoke about the players that came before him and carrying on the tradition of Celtic Pride.
 Kevin spoke about the former players being around, at games, at pratices, talking to them about the responsibilites that come with wearing a Celtic uniform.
 The players have already heard all of the speeches in private and they seem to have taken it to heart.  That's the way it should be, private.  Anything else would only be taking the spotlight from what THIS team has accomplished.

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 01:41:29 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I know that Bird and McHale are employed by other teams, but I don't think it would of hurt for them to be there for the clincher. I mean Magic I'm sure has other responsibilities, but was still present. Robert Parish should of also been there.

Not a legend, but was that Dana Barros by the bench at the end of the game.
Isn't Magic still part of the Lakers organiztion, like Kareem? Of course he goes to the games.

Other people mentioned Dana Barros - Dana Barros works for the Celtics. He is in charge of player development. Barros is at almost every Celtics game.

You can't force those other people (Bird, McHale, Parish) to attend. They have obligations preparing for the draft and doing other things for the people who pay their salaries. When they retire, I'm sure we will see them every now and then on big occasions.

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 02:03:03 AM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
there is no way any of those guys would have accepted had they been invited to speak...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 05:26:37 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
With Bird and McHale working for other franchises it wouldn't have been very professional for them to be there rooting for the Celtics especially with one of them trading Garnett to us from his own team. Minnesota fans would have had a fit!

Bird I think is upset with the Celtics. I believe back in the day when he worked for us he said Sherman Douglas was our MVP then Gaston turned around and traded him. He said If there not going to listen to me then I have no place here.

I'm pretty sure though neither of them was upset that we won.

P.S. I think Robert Parrish has some affiliation with us some way or another doesn't he?

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 06:10:55 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
i know hondo, russell, jojo and others were there, but i'm very disappointed that bird/mchale/parrish weren't there. fair enough bird and mchale have duties to other teams, but they are celtic legends and they are friends of danny ainge.

it would have been nice to see them there, especially as bird even called luke walton to wish him luck. sorry but that "there can only be one" commercial doesn't make up for it.

still love larry though.