Author Topic: Celts legends should have had greater role - a missed opportunity  (Read 4079 times)

Offline fansincecousy

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Fantastic season and championship. If I could change one thing, when the trophy was given to the Celts by Stern at the end of Game 6, I would have invited Russell, Havlicek, Heinsohn, White, Maxwell, Sanders and any other Celtics from the former championship teams to come up and bestow their "legacy good wishes" on the 2008 champs! One or two of them could have made brief remarks about rekindling the Tradition of Celtic Pride, passing the torch to a new generation, etc. Sure, Russell and Havlicek were shown multiple times by the cameras but they were not invited to say anything. It's too bad because these guys were all present in the Garden. They would have been honored and I think the new champs would have felt honored too. It would have been classy and it would have been incredibly moving. They could have stood in symbolically for Red.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:24:06 AM by fansincecousy »

Re: Celts legends should have had greater role - a missed opportunity
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:52:58 PM »

Offline cell_tics

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
The old geezers already got theirs.  ;)

Where was Cooz? 

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:56:54 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
I was wondering where the cooz was too.

This is the current players time. I don't think any of the Legends would have wanted to detract from the current guys moment.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:57:28 PM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
This is about the current Celtics. It is great those guys were at the game and they got some face time. But save the speaches for the guys that just poured their heart out all year. It is their time.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
What are you talking about? I saw Antoine!!! ;)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 11:59:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
disagree, let them bui9ld their own legacies. that they were there looking on and included in the post game is enough.

Let pierce have his moment. larry actually spoke to this when asked, saying he wouldn't have considered being a part of it not only (obviously) because he draws a paycheck from a rival team, but that it would take the focus off what he hopes is a new tradition and new heroes.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 12:00:22 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I know that Bird and McHale are employed by other teams, but I don't think it would of hurt for them to be there for the clincher. I mean Magic I'm sure has other responsibilities, but was still present. Robert Parish should of also been there.

Not a legend, but was that Dana Barros by the bench at the end of the game.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 12:00:29 AM »

Offline cell_tics

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I was wondering where the cooz was too.

This is the current players time. I don't think any of the Legends would have wanted to detract from the current guys moment.

They were around.  Hondo, JoJo, Russell, Tommy.  They had their hats on.  They were on the floor.  

They're part of the family and it's good for them to share in the fun.  They don't need the limelight, they're just showing support and having fun during a great time for the team.

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 12:02:12 AM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Dana was there, yes.

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 12:03:18 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I don't know if I agree. I'm not sure they should have even been in as many pictures as they got in anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love all the old Celtics legends. But this is all about this team and what they have done. We all know what they other guys have done for the team and we should let the young guys have their time in the light.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 12:10:56 AM »

Offline fansincecousy

• Open Roster Spot
Against everyone else, I stand my ground. It is not just about these guys, it is about them joining the fraternity of Celtic Pride. I would not have had the oldsters make long remarks, just very short remarks about how it's the new guys' turn now and how they welcome them into Celtics History. I think it would have increased, not decreased, the glory for the new guys. I think Russell and Havlicek - and they should have been the speakers together - would have been brief and to the point. I think Paul Pierce and KG would have loved it!

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 12:13:41 AM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
What are you talking about? I saw Antoine!!! ;)

Was Toine there for game six?

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 12:13:58 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Russell was right there, and you could hear the whole thing as he spoke to KG, and everyone else was right in the middle of the celebration.

No need to take away from a 10 year journey for pierce, and have 3-4 minute speeches. and i'm quite sure they wouldn't have wanted too. Paul knows and is accepted by all of them, and they wanted this to be his and the teams night.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 12:19:15 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Against everyone else, I stand my ground. It is not just about these guys, it is about them joining the fraternity of Celtic Pride. I would not have had the oldsters make long remarks, just very short remarks about how it's the new guys' turn now and how they welcome them into Celtics History. I think it would have increased, not decreased, the glory for the new guys. I think Russell and Havlicek - and they should have been the speakers together - would have been brief and to the point. I think Paul Pierce and KG would have loved it!
I'd rather have any of those guys give out the trophy rather than that arrogant commissioner. But you KNOW he'd NEVER give up his own tv air time.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 12:22:40 AM »

Offline fansincecousy

• Open Roster Spot
I agree. Stern could have called up Russell and Havlicek and asked them to co-present the trophy with him. That would have worked for me. I get goose bumps thinking about it. The fans would have blown the roof off cheering. Not that they didn't blow the roof off anyway!