Author Topic: Looking back, does Ainge do....  (Read 4156 times)

Looking back, does Ainge do....
« on: June 19, 2008, 10:00:29 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
...the KG trade if the Wolves asked for Perkins + Rondo instead of Big Al?

Would you?

And would we be a better team?

I don't think Ainge would have done it and I wouldn't have blamed him but I would have pulled the trigger and signed Cousy to play the PG at the very worst (KG is still KG).

I don't think we'd be the better team though and that's probably why Ainge wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

Perkins and Rondo have shown to be indispensable to a defensive minded ball club.

Re: Looking back, does Ainge do....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:16:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't think that deal was ever on the table.  I probably would have done it at the time, but in hindsight, no.  I'm as big a Big Al fan as anybody, and if it's ever possible, I'd love to see him back on the team.  However, asking him to play center and Bassy to play point on this team just wouldn't have led to the same results.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:19:51 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
we were so successful this year due to defense.  with big al and bassy, rather than perk and rondo, we wouldnt have been anywhere as near as a solid defensive team.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:25:28 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
what would this team have looked like with al jefferson, chris paul, ryan gomes, kendrick perkins and delonte west as its core?

the answer: average at best.

danny rolled the dice and found the right mix of players...his next steps will be critical, as it's just as hard to sustain a winner as it is to put one together.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:29:05 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Ainge definitely makes that trade. Having Al Jefferson as an option would of made us even more dominant. He would of gelled with KG great. We would have signed another pg too. I'm a huge Rondo fan, but anyone could be the point guard if you had Ray and Pierce on the wings and KG and Al down low.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 10:57:36 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
You guys think Big Al/KG tandem would have worked?

It may have made KG play even more on the perimeter and Big Al would have to defend 5's from time to time.....fouling would have been an issue.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 11:00:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

It may have made KG play even more on the perimeter and Big Al would have to defend 5's from time to time.....fouling would have been an issue.

Over the course of the season, I think it would've presented some real issues in the interior.  KG would've drawn some tougher defensive assignments and I have to think he would've got worn down more easier and attracted more foul trouble.  As we all know, Jefferson was a very questionable defender in his time with Boston and I certainly think that we would've strugged much more in the paint on the defensive end. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 11:17:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Al's 1v1 defense versus centers isn't great, but fouling wouldn't be an issue. We wouldn't have gone into the season with Bassy as our starting point. In fact, I might rather start House. We'd still have improved defense from Paul and Ray and KG, probably top 5 or so. Our offense, with Al and the big 3, would be unstoppable.

But you don't mess with what brought you a title.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 11:27:03 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
I think Ainge would have but Perk was not rated that highly last year. Thus, "Sota wouldn't have asked. The idea of Chris Paul for PP scared me...   It will be nice to play NO in the finals next tear.  :P

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:46:08 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
Whose to say Al doesn't become a much better defender with KG and Thibs around?  Pierce did.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 02:29:29 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
Whose to say Al doesn't become a much better defender with KG and Thibs around?  Pierce did.

Pierce was an underrated defender his whole career...he's always had the talent and skill to play high level defense just never the motivation and energy.

Big Al on the other hand has never been a very good one-on-one defender and an average team/help defender.

I do think Big Al would have improved under this new system but losing Rondo's attack mode and defense would have been very hard to make up for IMO.

Plus Perk really plugged up the middle and showed flashes of inside scoring that was downright unstoppable. Other than Yao, Shaq, and maybe DHoward - I don't know anyone who has the beef to keep Perk out of the paint. If he ever developed a consistent half-hook shot he could be a lock for 10 points a game.

Does 10/15/3 blocks get you All-Star consideration in the weak-front court East?

I think so.

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 02:34:14 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
I worry about Perk's durability, especially the shoulder.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 02:41:26 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
what would this team have looked like with al jefferson, chris paul, ryan gomes, kendrick perkins and delonte west as its core?

the answer: average at best.

danny rolled the dice and found the right mix of players...his next steps will be critical, as it's just as hard to sustain a winner as it is to put one together.

Well you're forgetting Brandon Roy, Rondo, and this past yr's #5 pick. Maybe even Monta Ellis, but that could be a reach. Also, Rudy Fernandez and Sergio Rodriguez were available for cash.  Ainge definitely morgaged the future to win now. Kind of like the Heat did a few yrs ago, though they were able to hold on to their young star, while we weren't. The fact that we one the title makes me feel a lot better and will make the sting of watching CP3, Jefferson, and Roy over the next dozen yrs not be so bad.

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 03:13:13 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Well if there was any player in the NBA I could put on this team, It'd be Al Jefferson without even thinking about it. Trading Perk AND Rondo would have sucked because we're losing two of the key guys to the title we got but I think you can worry about a PG and backup center later if you have Allen/Pierce/Garnett/Jefferson.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 03:21:00 AM »

Offline MaxPowers

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
If's & but's....

We might as well wish for the times when we passed over Amir Johnson for Orien Greene. Iam a big supporter of SEIZING THE MOMENT! For those who don't know what Carpe Diem means!!!!
"I'd like to wipe that smirk right off of Damon Jones' face. That's one cocky kid. If I had the opportunity, I'd run right up his chest." Tommy Heinsohn