Author Topic: ESPN Radio: Is Paul Pierce a HOF'er?  (Read 11643 times)

ESPN Radio: Is Paul Pierce a HOF'er?
« on: June 19, 2008, 06:37:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Mike Tirrico and his radio partner today (forgot his name) posed the question, was Paul Piece worthy of the hall of fame?  Tirrico was on the fence, his partner was adamantly opposed to Pierce being HOF worthy. 

The guy's arguments were, in my opinion, foolish. He basically rejected Pierce because Pierce never made the All NBA first or second team, and never finished in the top 10 in MVP votes.  How ironic that this guy is criticizing Pierce for getting enough votes for those dubious honors, which historically go to the guys on winning teams and great TV exposure. 

This play-off run was, among many wonderful things, a coming out party for Captian Pierce.  Main stream media finally noted, "wow, this Pierce fellow is really good. Where has he been hiding all these years?" Or worse, they claim that Pierce has for the first time this year became a great all around player.  As Celtic fans know, Pierce's overall game made a dramatic transformation when Doc Rivers arrived, turning him into a more complete player for the last several years.

Several ESPN analysts chimed in on Pierce. Michelle Tafoye (sp) said that this play-off run turned Pierce into a HOFer.  Greg Anthony said that Pierce was a HOFer in his book, before the play-offs even started. Ditto Jon Barry. Stephen A. Smith said that Pierce is getting in the HOF discussion but has more to prove before being admitted.

Am I just being a homer when I say that Pierce is a shoo-in??

Re: ESPN Radio: Is Paul Pierce a HOF'er?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:49:06 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I still don't say he's a shoe in.  Is Tony Parker a shoe in?  Or Chauncey Billups?  My point is, one great playoff run and Finals MVP award does not a Hall of Famer make.

Now, I know Pierce's career has been more than that, and he's been a great player for 5 years longer than either example I mentioned above, but if you had asked me prior to these playoffs if Pierce was a shoe-in, I'd have said no.  I'm not going to change that for one great playoff. 

But I think he will make it... just needs a few more good years first.  As I mentioned in this thread, next year Pierce is likely to become only the 24th player in NBA history to amass at least 18,000 points, 5,000 rebounds, and 3,000 assists.  That is pretty impressive.  He should easily get to 20,000 points and 4,000 assists while still in the later stages of his prime.  Being as consistently good as he's been for almost 10 years now shouldn't be overlooked by the Hall, but shoe-in... not yet.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:51:35 PM »

Offline celticben

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
First Ballot HOFer.  This post season run to the championship simply cemented his status as one of the game's elite- a leader who at times carried his team to victory  When he hangs them up, Paul will be near the top in every category for the greatest franchise in basketball.  No argument necessary.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i don't know about this one. i think celtics fans or fans of any team overrate their players. if u say that pierce is hof, then you could make the case for half the allstars in their prime in the league today.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Paul is a Hall-of-Famer ... absolutely. I would have been a bit hesitant to say so prior, (although he deserved it in my estimation), but this championship and MVP award should seal the deal.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 06:56:14 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
As much as Steven A. Smith annoys me, he stated my opinion better than I could have myself.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 06:59:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
i don't know about this one. i think celtics fans or fans of any team overrate their players. if u say that pierce is hof, then you could make the case for half the allstars in their prime in the league today.

I disagree.  Pierce is 9th among active players in points scored and 6th among active players in scoring average.  Amongst those who have averaged more points per game, only Shaq and Kobe have titles.

I like Paul's credentials.  I think he deserves enshrinement, although the way the Hall of Fame works, I doubt he gets in on the first ballot.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 07:02:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Yeah, the basketball HOF seems to enshrine a disproportionate number of coaches and "contributors" relative to the other halls of fame.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 07:11:30 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The Truth has been one of the most consistent scorer out there.  I think he's one of the few players (along with Kobe, Lebron, AI, Arenas, and Wade) that when he gets going, theres absolutely nobody that can slow him down, but the difference is hes been doing that longer than any of the examples above (except for AI and maybe Kobe). 

He's got the whole package!  Hes got such body control when taking to the hoop, he doesnt make it pretty like Lebron, but hes extremely effective and is able to draw fouls.  He can also shoot the outside shots and post up if needed, and one of the plays we havent seen that much during the playoffs is the Walker lob pass to Pierce under the hoop.  He's also a good rebounder and good assist.  This season he has impressed everyone with his lock down D.

With all of that said, he still hasnt received enough TV coverage to be considered a hall of famer in my opinion.  For example, when talking about the best players in the league, few would place Michael Redd in that department even though the man has been a great shooter and one of the best scorers for the last 5 years.

However, with Pierce's consistency and no signs of slowing down, I see Pierce putting up great numbers for at least 3 more years.  I think that'll be enough to place him in the Hall of Fame.  Besides, I think we already know that Pierce is amongst one of the best Celtics ever, and thats all that matters.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 07:13:12 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Win another one Paul and make it happen.  :D

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
The Truth has been one of the most consistent scorer out there.  I think he's one of the few players (along with Kobe, Lebron, AI, Arenas, and Wade) that when he gets going, theres absolutely nobody that can slow him down, but the difference is hes been doing that longer than any of the examples above (except for AI and maybe Kobe). 

He's got the whole package!  Hes got such body control when taking to the hoop, he doesnt make it pretty like Lebron, but hes extremely effective and is able to draw fouls.  He can also shoot the outside shots and post up if needed, and one of the plays we havent seen that much during the playoffs is the Walker lob pass to Pierce under the hoop.  He's also a good rebounder and good assist.  This season he has impressed everyone with his lock down D.

With all of that said, he still hasnt received enough TV coverage to be considered a hall of famer in my opinion.  For example, when talking about the best players in the league, few would place Michael Redd in that department even though the man has been a great shooter and one of the best scorers for the last 5 years.

However, with Pierce's consistency and no signs of slowing down, I see Pierce putting up great numbers for at least 3 more years.  I think that'll be enough to place him in the Hall of Fame.  Besides, I think we already know that Pierce is amongst one of the best Celtics ever, and thats all that matters.

Really well-said ... and I agree (TP). Along with all the stats he's piled up, he's definitely the whole package, and that's exactly why Tommy calls Pierce the greatest offensive player in Celtics history.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 07:19:22 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
To me there are 5 unquestionable locks, about 3-5 behind them that are 95% or better to get in early, probably 1st ballot, and then Pierce falls in a group of 3-5 behind them.  So like I said earlier... yes, I think he'll get in, but 1st ballot shoe-in?  Not yet.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
yes
Yup

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 07:22:29 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
To me there are 5 unquestionable locks, about 3-5 behind them that are 95% or better to get in early, probably 1st ballot, and then Pierce falls in a group of 3-5 behind them.  So like I said earlier... yes, I think he'll get in, but 1st ballot shoe-in?  Not yet.

I agree with this also, BT, and meant to say so (TP) ... while I think he'll definitely be inducted, I doubt it will be with the first ballot, and certainly not a "shoe-in".

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 07:27:52 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I know some of us get picky about grammar sometimes, but it is "shoo-in."  As for Pierce, he will end up one of the top scores in Celtics History.  I don't see how he does not get into the hall.