Author Topic: Tony Allen and #30 to move up a few spots?  (Read 5615 times)

Tony Allen and #30 to move up a few spots?
« on: June 19, 2008, 04:13:07 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I know there is a lot of talk about whether to bring Tony Allen back.  We are thinking about just letting him walk in free agency and getting nothing back in return.  What do you guys think about packaging him with our #30 to move up 5 or 6 spots in the draft and potentially find his replacement/upgrade.  I would do this and try to pick up Chris Douglas-Roberts who is being projected around #25 right now.  I think Douglas-Roberts is a much better all-around player than Tony and could be a premier player in the league if he develops a long range game.  At this point, he would make a great understudy for PP and Ray.  He plays good defense and has an exceptional slashing/midrange game, a rarity for a college player with the college game being basically a 3 point/post game nowadays.

Re: Tony Allen and #30 to move up a few spots?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 04:30:57 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I would do it if and only if CDR is available for sure.

Anyways, Hibbert might be there too at 20 ish, although I'm not a fan of his.

Eh, it would open up a lot more, much better than being at 30.

I think it's tempting to do this, but I 1) doubt anyone will accept and 2) TA is worth more than what people are talking. Defense.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 04:36:41 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
TA himself should be able to get us a 25-30 pick, IMO.

I believe that if he gets consistent minutes he can be a starter in this league.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 04:38:53 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday

I believe that if he gets consistent minutes he can be a starter in this league.

Maybe true, but this move would save money too which could be spent elsewhere.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 04:39:42 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Wait, TA is still signed?

Now I'm just confused.

Anyways, I think he and our 1st round pick could get a 2nd round pick and maybe a 22-27 1st rounder, after thinking. Then, we could maybe trade both 2nd round picks for a future 1st? or future 2nds? I'm probably dreaming.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 04:42:48 PM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
We can't trade Tony before or during the draft, he has not signed his qualifying offer yet, so is not available to be moved.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
None of this seem right to me. The only way that Tony could be traded is a sign and trade after the draft since. It would take a lot of under the table agreements with Tony, his new team and the Celtics. Also essentially everyone is over the cap and the Celtics would have to take salary back. That is difficult to matchup and I have tried.

This isn't to say that it couldn't happen but it seems unlikely and would mean the Celtics would have to be willing to take an unwanted salary.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 04:48:23 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
Yeah, he'd have to sign before the draft if possible and also work detals of the contract out with the other team.  So you guys are right, NOT going to happen.  Just trying to get creative to move up in the draft and get a better talent than we can get at 30.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 03:16:37 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Maybe true, but this move would save money too which could be spent elsewhere.

Yes and No.

We could save money, but we couldn't spend it elsewhere. Signing TA will not hinder our ability to spend on other players since we do not need to touch the MLE.

Can people please stop posting that we will can use TA money on other players. There is a salary cap in the NBA, and we are over it.

Personally, I think this is the wrong time to give up on TA. What kind of contract can he hope for with the mediocre season he had? We can probably get him pretty cheaply right now.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 03:22:05 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
I would try to swing Powe and the #30 pick for some serious talent, probably in the 10-15 range. Powe has got maximum value right now, and I would rather give Big Baby a chance next year. I think Big Baby's sophomore year will be better than Powe's.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 03:41:11 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
No.

We'd have to resign Allen for almost $3M. For that price, no team would touch him. He would have a negative value packaged with the pick.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 04:32:14 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Tony's value is really at an all time low due to injuries and lack of playing time (and consistency).  Keep him with team he can only improve from here.
Here's the plan for Danny, put him up in a quiet guest house on Ray Allen's property.  Have Ray work on basics with him improve his range and work on his noggin.
I was more than ready to give up on GG but Tony Allen could end up being important player for the C's.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 05:25:03 PM »

Offline TheRev72

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
Because Tony Allen can likely be had on the cheap, I really so no excuse to not bring him back.  It's certainly too soon to give up on finding out whether he can make it back to his pre-injury level of play.  He has looked good in some situational spots and he knows the team system.  Backing up Ray Allen, like he did for much of this season, is a great spot for him and for the team.