Author Topic: 2nd round draft pic?  (Read 24931 times)

Re: 2nd round draft pic?
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2008, 12:45:53 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Does anybody know more about Pat Calathes? Has anyone seen him play?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Pat-Calathes-1373/

Draftexpress has him at 42, and his profile is interesting.
6'10'' SF who shoots over 40% from beyond the arc.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2008, 02:12:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I watched quite a few of his games.  He has a future in the NBA as a 6'10 shooter off the bench.  Plays hard.  Plays smart.  Just to light to be a starting PF, to slow to be a starting SF. 

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2008, 02:44:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Giddens is a steal at 60 (former McDonald's all american for goodness sake) and he is unlikely to be there, but if he is no brainer...

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2008, 03:26:51 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
We have worked out Martin Zeno from New Mexico, according to RealGM. I guess he will be there at #60.

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2008, 04:41:26 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
We have worked out Martin Zeno from New Mexico, according to RealGM. I guess he will be there at #60.

It's funny how until now we've only worked out guards, especially SGs.

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2008, 12:15:47 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
A couple good posts regarding JR Giddens:

This one touting his superior skills:

http://realgm.com/src_fromtherafters/202/20080620/draft_report_jr_giddens_of_new_mexico/

JR Giddens is one of the best athletes in this draft and uses that athleticism not just on dunks, but to make very pure basketball moves.

He has great confidence with the dribble, and I believe he will be able to create his own shot in the NBA.

He has a great crossover dribble to get himself into the paint. He creates space for himself by being able to stop as quickly as he can start.

And this one vouching for his character "turn-around" over the past year:

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/7200594/0/0/7204064#ID7204064

Really, just watching the difference from last year to this year is pretty amazing.  If you look at the stats it doesn't really add up as much as it does seeing him play.  His overall attitude on the court has gone from "look at me, I should be a lottery pick," to "look at my team, we're playing very well, and I'm gonna help us pull off a W."  He has become a leader on the court and a man off the court.

I honestly believe he will be one of the biggest draft steals this year ... I hope he's our draft steal!

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2008, 12:21:47 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I saw in another thread that we have worked out Zeno from Texas Tech.  He would be able to fill in a Tony Allen role on the roster if we let go of Tony.  His defense is not as good, but he would supply some scoring off the bench if he could somehow make the active roster. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
The key to this pick is if you can "stash" them in Europe somewere. I agree with the post about S. James. This kid would be drafted if he hadn't got shot due to no fault of his own. He has a super long reach and competes for rebounds. He basically came out because he needs the money and is older. He knows he needs to play somewhere for cash and I believe will work at his game to come back completely from the shooting. He could be a significant player in a couple of years after either Baby or Powe is gone (one or the other will leave because of money at some point).
CJ. Giles also has some rocky things in his past. However his coach always said he was something special.

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2008, 12:47:31 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
i haven't seen him in any mock drafts, (i may have missed his name). if Gary Forbes is still around at the 60th pick i think he is somebody who could step in and contribute learning from Ray Allen who will likely be the first of the big  three to have their skills diminish. If we are able to do that, then with the 30th pick we should take a big man(DeVon Hardin), and sign a vet PG through free agency. I've just been shocked to not see Gary Forbes' name on the mock drafts.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 12:55:52 PM by MattG12 »

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2008, 01:17:48 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Forbes had a decent pre draft camp so he shouldnt fall to 60. I've heard almost no mention of Kyle Weaver so maybe he could fall there.

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2008, 01:43:11 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
i haven't seen him in any mock drafts, (i may have missed his name). if Gary Forbes is still around at the 60th pick i think he is somebody who could step in and contribute learning from Ray Allen who will likely be the first of the big  three to have their skills diminish. If we are able to do that, then with the 30th pick we should take a big man(DeVon Hardin), and sign a vet PG through free agency. I've just been shocked to not see Gary Forbes' name on the mock drafts.

nbadraft.net has him going 35th:

http://nbadraft.net/mocks/2008_nba_mock_draft.html

draftexpress has him going 50th:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2008/

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2008, 01:52:06 PM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Does anybody know more about Pat Calathes? Has anyone seen him play?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Pat-Calathes-1373/

Draftexpress has him at 42, and his profile is interesting.
6'10'' SF who shoots over 40% from beyond the arc.

Calathes is a good player from Saint Joes. He was a 5'11" pg in his sophomore and junior years, and the 6'5" guard entering college but grew about five inches after his senior year of HS. This is why he is so effective on the perimeter. He is a great shooter and if he bulks up and continues to work on the post moves he could be a good inside out threat
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2008, 11:12:15 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff

http://realgm.com/src_fromtherafters/202/20080620/draft_report_jr_giddens_of_new_mexico/

JR Giddens is one of the best athletes in this draft and uses that athleticism not just on dunks, but to make very pure basketball moves.

He has great confidence with the dribble, and I believe he will be able to create his own shot in the NBA.

He has a great crossover dribble to get himself into the paint. He creates space for himself by being able to stop as quickly as he can start.

Really, just watching the difference from last year to this year is pretty amazing.  If you look at the stats it doesn't really add up as much as it does seeing him play.  His overall attitude on the court has gone from "look at me, I should be a lottery pick," to "look at my team, we're playing very well, and I'm gonna help us pull off a W."  He has become a leader on the court and a man off the court.

I honestly believe he will be one of the biggest draft steals this year ... I hope he's our draft steal!

At least Giddens is on Ainge's radar:

The C’s also like Kansas point guard Mario Chalmers, and yesterday worked out J.R. Giddens, a big, 6-5 guard who played his last two years at New Mexico after transferring from Kansas.

There's a chance!

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2008, 05:58:48 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

At least Giddens is on Ainge's radar:

The C’s also like Kansas point guard Mario Chalmers, and yesterday worked out J.R. Giddens, a big, 6-5 guard who played his last two years at New Mexico after transferring from Kansas.

There's a chance!

Sometimes that's all you can ask for.  :)

I'm a little it happier.

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2008, 06:54:44 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Giddens is a steal at 60 (former McDonald's all american for goodness sake) and he is unlikely to be there, but if he is no brainer...

excuse me, but in all honestly, is it possible to put the words "steal" in the same sentence as the "60" pick without smiling?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva