Author Topic: 2nd round draft pic?  (Read 24844 times)

Re: 2nd round draft pic?
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2008, 06:10:37 PM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Why are we talking about Cummard...he withdrew, save it for next year
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2008, 06:11:08 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
"BYU junior guard Lee Cummard, the Mountain West Conference co-player of the year..."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?id=3444788

Also, have you read that DX article I linked, libermaniac? Because if we're going to talk stats, Cummard has a pretty strong case.

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 06:18:28 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
"BYU junior guard Lee Cummard, the Mountain West Conference co-player of the year..."

Also, have you read that DX article I linked, libermaniac? Because if we're going to talk stats, Cummard has a pretty strong case.

Ya, I guess you have a bit of a point, it's closer than I thought, but Giddens is a better scorer and rebounder, but it is close.  You have to realize, however, that Giddens was once a prized recruit at Kansas.  He's got the pedigree, and the athleticism, just has had character issues (but not under Steve Alford) - hence his slide to the 2nd round.  So, in terms of a gamble, he's got more upside - because if his character issues check out, he's got more talent.  Cummard is a 2nd round talent, because of his talent alone.  A skin and boned guys like that can do nothing but shoot 3's.  There's a role for someone like that in the NBA, but Giddens can be an all-star if his head is on straight.  I would trust Danny to check that out, and if his head IS on straight, he's a steal.

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
If Eddie House decides to walk, how about Chris Lofton out of Tennessee for the #60 pick?  He's undersized and not the most athletic guy in the world, but he hustles and he has one of the smoothest shots in the draft class.  Also, he's used to a breakneck pace on the court, so I doubt there would be any conditioning issues.

Also, let's talk about character:  this guy had cancer before his senior season, and he was battling chemotherapy all year - he still put up respectable numbers.  He never said anything his treatments until after the year was over.  That speaks volumes about his desire and heart.

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2008, 06:33:51 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
Chris Lofton will be long gone before 60!

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2008, 06:49:56 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Chris Lofton will be long gone before 60!

I've yet to find a mock draft that had his name in it.  I know those things are crap more often than not, but I'd think that somebody would have his name up there if he'll go as early as you think.

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2008, 07:05:21 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I'm all for Chris Lofton. Personally, and maybe even biased being from Tennessee myself, I would have him in the first round.

If he is there then yes I'd defiantly take him but I think he will be gone before then.

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2008, 10:56:08 PM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8

Ya, I guess you have a bit of a point, it's closer than I thought, but Giddens is a better scorer and rebounder, but it is close.  You have to realize, however, that Giddens was once a prized recruit at Kansas.  He's got the pedigree, and the athleticism, just has had character issues (but not under Steve Alford) - hence his slide to the 2nd round.  So, in terms of a gamble, he's got more upside - because if his character issues check out, he's got more talent.  Cummard is a 2nd round talent, because of his talent alone.  A skin and boned guys like that can do nothing but shoot 3's.  There's a role for someone like that in the NBA, but Giddens can be an all-star if his head is on straight.  I would trust Danny to check that out, and if his head IS on straight, he's a steal.

As was already pointed out, Cummard and Giddens shared the MWC player of the year. I just see Cummard as a better stylistic fit for the Celtics. He plays very much like James Posey. I think he actually has a little bit better game inside the 3 point line.

And I'm not knocking Giddens by any means. The dude can score and I'd be happy if we got him. As far as Giddens being a prized recruit at Kansas, yes that is true, but Arizona really wanted Cummard, he just chose to go to a school he grew up rooting for.

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2008, 12:39:32 AM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
We should look at

PG - Rudy Mbemba...I like the kid, but might not be the best choice since his game is pretty similar to Rondo
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/RudyMbemba.html

PG/SG - Stanley Burrell...Great defender from Xavier, can shoot the 3. He reminds me of a smaller Posey
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/StanleyBurrell.html

PG - Jaycee Carroll....Eddie House clone..not as quick as Eddie but better off the bounce then House
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/JayceeCarroll.html

SG - Reggie Williams....reminds me of a real poor man's Michael Redd, very smooth and nice with the ball, has pretty good range
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/reggiewilliams.html

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2008, 11:01:09 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
what about a pg from a smaller school, maybe they went unnoticed a little?

Brian Roberts,Dayton,
Mike Green,Butler,
and George Hill, IUPUI all have pgs that are getting good reviews. 

that said, if lofton or jamont gordon are their, you have to strongly consider them. 

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I like the thought of Giddens.

When it's the last pick in the second round your most likely not going to find any real talent. If you can find a first round talent with the 60th pick you take it. He's athletic, can score a bit and rebounds. Sounds like someone Danny would pick.

I also don't believe we need another second round PG. First off a 2nd round rookie PG would get no type of PT on this team, and we already have Pruitt. Pruitt wasn't read to contribute last season, but i expect him to stick around and be ready to contribute by at least his 3rd year. I wouldn't be surprised to see his role grow next season.

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Cummard is better than Giddens. Cummard does everything. All Giddens can do is score, he can't shoot FTs and he isn't a good dude.

Cummard's only issue is that he has a Reggie Miller body type. Other than that he is a LOCK DOWN defender who is long and can shoot from long range and is a very good passer. He should have been the outright Mountain West player of the year (he shared it with Giddens.) He is much better than Plaisted who got all the hype.

Cummard may be a project, but he is no stiff.

Dude, you are dead wrong.  Giddens was in the same conference as Cummard, and was conference player of the year.  As a SG he led the league in points AND REBOUNDS.

if possible, i trade out of the 1st round right now to draft this kid. giddens replaces tony allen right now and is already better. giddens projects as a quality nba defender, high bb iq high flyer. like tony allen but taller and smarter...and better jumpshot i think paul will see a lot of himself in this kid and take him right under his wing. and ray too. in fact i trade the 1st rnder for 2 2nds and draft giddens and jason thompson.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2008, 12:29:22 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
We should look at

PG - Rudy Mbemba...I like the kid, but might not be the best choice since his game is pretty similar to Rondo
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/RudyMbemba.html

(...)

Right now, Mbemba is an athletic small guy who can simultaneously dribble a basketball and run very fast (perhaps faster than Rondo). All his other skills, including passing, courtvision, slashing and defense are poor for a NBA pg - that's why he's not that similar to Rondo. Maybe he can be useful in the future for a fast paced team, but he'll have to improve a lot.

That profile in NBAdraftnet says that:
- he is "tough and active on defense" - well, maybe he's "active", but he doesn't know how to stay in front of his man, including subpar European prospects, neither he knows how to defend with his feet so he uses his hands a lot;
- he has "good vision of the court" - false. In a half court set, he just doesn't know what to do with the ball.
- he's a "solid passer, but not outstanding" - they're being generous listing this as a strength. A pg he's not supposed to be just a "solid passer".
- "prefers attacking the basket to shooting from long distance" - true, just because he can't hit a open shot 8 ft away from the basket. But he's also not good finishing under contact - he's not even good finding his way to to the rim when the paint is crowded because of his poor ball-handling. And his layups are frequently blocked. Dunking in fast-breaks is pretty much his only way to score.

p.s. - Dragic, Ponkrashov and Nando de Colo are 3 international pgs that  probably will be available in the late 2nd round way better than Mbemba.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:39:14 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2008, 11:27:32 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i love this board. where else could we find 4 pages dedicated to the #60, dead last pick in the draft?

and thanks to all the folks here who have dug up videos, links, and such for so many players.

and for gosh sakes, do NOT even think about giving me a TP. i would hate to be accused of begging for one. (which is not to say i dont do it, i just dont like being accused of it.  ;) )
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2008, 12:23:44 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
how about sean james...duquesne/northeastern

shot blocker

or derrick low....or demarcus nelson