Author Topic: Ryan's Top 10 Celtics Teams --- A must read  (Read 1856 times)

Ryan's Top 10 Celtics Teams --- A must read
« on: June 19, 2008, 08:19:39 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Bob Ryan's column today is a must read

Here's the intro which seems to have this site pegged!!!

Top Ten Teams ---- This team is #.....

This was a championship for a Lost Generation of Boston Celtics fans.

These are people for whom Bill Russell, the greatest winner in American team sports, and Bob Cousy, the legendary "Houdini of the Hardwood," are like figures out of King Arthur's tales. These are people for whom John Havlicek, basketball's consummate 'sixth man," and Dave Cowens, the mercurial redheaded center, are as personally relevant as comic book characters. These are people for whom even the great Larry Bird is just some guy wearing short-shorts who pops up occasionally on ESPN Classic.

These are the people who were too young to mourn fallen soldiers Reggie Lewis and Len Bias. These are the people who do not think hard-bodied young women gyrating in the interests of Celtics Green is a sacrilege. These are people who could not imagine entering an arena that did not have a Jumbotron and music and fireworks and who could not possibly imagine that, once upon a time, a portly organist named John Kiley stirred the Boston Garden crowd by playing the "Mexican Hat Dance."

These are the people who were either very sad or very angry when general manager Danny Ainge first traded Antoine Walker, a player their elders generally loathed. These are the people who text instant observations to friends in Singapore. And these are the people who hungered for a Celtics championship they could call their own, one accomplished in their building with their heroes.

Celtics championship No. 17 belongs to them.

and here's the link:
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/06/19/greatest_of_the_green/
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

Re: Ryan's Top 10 Celtics Teams --- A must read
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 09:08:57 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
the game has changed quite a bit. i don't know if it's honestly fair to compare a team now to a team in the 80's. even the rules of the game have changed.

#8: Rookies Russell (25 points, 32 rebounds) and Tom Heinsohn (37 points, 23 rebounds); When are you ever going to see 2 rookies on a team do that in the same game again?

good article none the less though.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:14:15 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Hefty praise for this years team making #2 on the list

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:18:14 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't really buy Ryan's list much at all, but those introductory paragraphs were golden.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
I don't really buy Ryan's list much at all, but those introductory paragraphs were golden.

The funny thing is, anyone on the street can argue about the list of greatest teams  -- it's everyone on this site that has dissected to the nth degree the intro paragraphs. 
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.