Author Topic: Chance to repeat next year has officially gotten alot harder imo  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
1. Because we don't know what is happening with the posey and thibadeau situations. Maybe losing thibadeau could be ok(hopefully the players and coaching staff have absorbed enough of his coachings, and already built the defensive foundations to move on without him). But we have to resign posey. Losing him will be devastating, just think about who will guard someone like lebron james come playoff time, or make those key steals or dives to change the momentum of an important playoff game??

2. Talking about lebron james, i believe his cavs team are going to get that much better adding one or two key players. Detroit will be that much better adding better players. Atlanta, the lakers, ny knicks, you name it. Ainge might have started a forest fire creating this concept of getting three 5 plus year all stars in the same team dying to win a championship. Michael redd, elton brand, shawn marion, gilbert arenas etc might want to be in this situation for playing in a team with not one but must have two superstars in it. I don't even want to imagine a team that has lebron james, gilbert arenas, ilgauskas for example.

If 1. doesn't happen and 2. does happen its going to be a long long multiple game 7 series next year

Even without posey do you feel we are still good enough to win a championship?? How much better can teams like cavs, lakers, detroit get next year??

Re: Chance to repeat next year has officially gotten alot harder imo
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:50:02 AM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Posey is not as vital as is being suggested. Yes, I want see him resign or extend or whatever, but I don't think it's all over if he doesn't. Cleveland would love to add players, but who are they going to get? The Knicks? Atlanta? The C's are far beyond what we saw in the 1st 2 rounds, remember Allen was in a horrendous slump, they hadn't played together in the playoffs before, and Doc wasn't the Doc he is now. The key is to get home court again. Remember, we are returning our entire starting lineup back! Posey would be nice, but are you telling me Ainge couldn't find a way to replace him? House as well?

I think Detroit is going to have a tough year next season. New coach, is Rasheed back? etc. As I look at it right now, even without Posey, PJ, or House, the C's are the overwhelming favorite in the East. If they can get home court and close out the early rounds as they should, this team has a nice chance to be back in the finals.

Remember, there is the draft, there are players developing, there's big baby, etc. I am extremely hopeful about next season and looking forward to opening night when they hoist #17!
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 01:55:52 AM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
I think its way too early to tell. One day after last year's finals, who thought we'd be here talking about a repeat? With 2, possibly 3 very good nba prospects in the draft, several coaching changes, several all stars on the trading block or possibly opting out of their contracts, its just too early to tell. The cavs honestly dont worry me as much. Other than lebron, they are getting very old very fast. The pistons are more likely to blow it all up than actually improving. The bulls, lakers and magic have more upside, but that is right now...

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:58:49 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm not really worried about Posey, I think there are quite a few players in the MLE range that can fill his role quite nicely. Sure, maybe not as good as him, but not a huge drop off as it has been suggested by many.

I'd keep my eye on Barnes if the Posey thing doesn't pan out. I just hope that his situation gets resolved quickly more than anything. That's what worries me the most, that while he may be in limbo on what to do, we might end up missing out on other opportunities.

Too much credit is going towards Tib's way and our future success. Our defense is here to stay wether Tib is here or not. The groundwork has been done, the fundamentals are in place. We'll do just fine with or without him, I have no doubt about that.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 02:03:14 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
The difficulty of repeating aside, Boston should be a much better and tougher team next year even we do nothing in the offseason. Rondo will be much better, Perk will be better, the whole team will have better chemistry, etc. I really doubt anyone in the East will be able to improve that much more than us. Several teams in the West will likely improve alot. Whether it's enough to beat Boston, we'll have to wait and see.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 02:05:12 AM »

Offline Cooldude5t5

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 36
wow already with the negativity. Believe in Ainge, didn't he show you he has a plan. I don't think the celtics future hangs on the re-signing of Posey. Ainge probably has 20 different scenarios for the off-season and everyone will work out. I love Posey and everything he brought to the team, but he is not a core guy.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 02:08:18 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't think Thibodeau will leave

There's no head coach vacancies and he'd only be moving to an assistant's seat elsehwere. Now I do think he should leave for reasons I've gone into before (I think it would be better for his career) but I don't see him leaving. I wouldn't be too concerned about him leaving.

Even if he does leave it's largely irrelevant. It's the players that do the work. Look at Houston's defense. That's still top of the line without Thib or JVG. It's the players.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 02:12:25 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!  We are FINISHED, and after only 1 championship in 1 years!!!  I told you all this would happen! 

....seriously, title celebration happening here, call me in August when actual signings start happening with the bad/good news.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 02:14:28 AM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
For those who thing we are ok if we lose Big Shot James, I ask: if he signs for LA, how will that work out for us???? Think about it. We need Posey. might as well be talking about losing a key starter

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 02:17:50 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Hmmm... so, the chance to repeat next year has OFFICIALLY gotten a lot harder because... we won this year?

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 03:03:27 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Holy crap ... we just won a Championship! Can't we enjoy it for more than 48 hours before getting onto negativity threads?!? Talk about the glass being half-empty! There will be plenty of time for this "Chicken Little" stuff in the slow months of the off-season ... let's concentrate on this amazing accomplishment for now, in sharing in the joy of this incredible team's success, and leave this discouraging fodder for later ... much later!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *