Author Topic: HELP, new issue: error messages.  (Read 13164 times)

Re: HELP, new issue: error messages.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
It may be the 90 second thing, especially at work (I work at a big company that has one outward facing web proxy).  But I get it at home too where my IP is my own and I haven't posted all day...

There's def more than one guy here at work that posts...  it's annoying when we collide with each other =P
God bless and good night!

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 02:07:05 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
when i get the error message, which is really frequently, it gives me no error message so i can't pinpoint the reason...

Become Legendary.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 02:28:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
As for the 90 second rule, our software counts several things as a "post":

1) Logging into the website;
2) Making a post;
3) Sending a PM;
3) Attempting to make a repost after getting a warning.

You must wait 90 seconds in between doing any of these things.  Thus, your first post must be made no sooner than 90 seconds after logging in.

I know Bob recently attempted to change the message that is displayed when there is a 90 second violation.  Something may have not worked properly on that end, causing the current error message to be displayed.  On the other hand, it could be something else entirely.

Does anybody ever still get a 90 second error?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 02:35:23 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason

2) Making a post;
3) Sending a PM;

You must wait 90 seconds in between doing any of these things.  Thus, your first post must be made no sooner than 90 seconds after logging in.

I know Bob recently attempted to change the message that is displayed when there is a 90 second violation.  Something may have not worked properly on that end, causing the current error message to be displayed.  On the other hand, it could be something else entirely.

Sorry if I'm being redundant, but I used to get a "90 second" error message description, but now the description is always blank...

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
this is going to come across as a stupid question, but how do I create a new topic?
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
this is going to come across as a stupid question, but how do I create a new topic?

When you are in the forum, right hand side/

'New Topic'

Mark Read  |  Notify  |  New Topic  |  Post new poll     

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 03:30:58 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23

When you are in the forum, right hand side/

'New Topic'

Mark Read  |  Notify  |  New Topic  |  Post new poll     

Thanks! TP for not making a snide comment about my intelligence!
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 07:41:47 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I just got this for the first time when sending a PM.  It is definitely the 90 second warning, the text box just isn't filled in properly.

If you get it, just make sure you wait a full 90 seconds before attempting to post anything.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 11:15:13 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason
I just got this for the first time when sending a PM.  It is definitely the 90 second warning, the text box just isn't filled in properly.

If you get it, just make sure you wait a full 90 seconds before attempting to post anything.

Can you make an exception to the 90 second rule for certain IP addresses?  That is, IP addresses that are proxy servers for companies that have 50,000+ employees, of which there are more than one celtics fan logged in here posting at any given time??

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 11:27:44 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

does an error message reset the 90 second timer as if it were a post?

Become Legendary.

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 11:42:48 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason

does an error message reset the 90 second timer as if it were a post?

Based off what Roy said earlier, yes, which means that when you have two (or more) people on the same IP, they keep locking each other out and resetting each others' timer...quite annoying.

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 06:48:51 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Can you make an exception to the 90 second rule for certain IP addresses?  That is, IP addresses that are proxy servers for companies that have 50,000+ employees, of which there are more than one celtics fan logged in here posting at any given time??

I don't think it's configurable, but when Bob checks in, I'm sure he can answer that definitively.

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 08:51:06 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
The error message you guys are getting is the 90 second warning. I think I mentioned in another post that we would have to see whether SMF would properly display the new 90 second message I created. Clearly, it doesn't. I'll try to make some time today to create a new, shorter message. I'll also be turning the 90 second flood control back to 30 seconds after Draft night. The waiting will all but disappear then.

As for this other thing...

and

Based off what Roy said earlier, yes, which means that when you have two (or more) people on the same IP, they keep locking each other out and resetting each others' timer...quite annoying.
Brick James, this problematic scenario you mentioned here about how people logging into CelticsBlog from a common intranet behind a common firewall step all over each other simply doesn't happen. This website tracks not only a main IP address but also individual machine addresses coming from that IP. The site also uses unique login sessions for each logged in user. Thus, the site keeps the activities of all users separate from one another -- even ones coming through proxy server setups.

So individuals connecting here from intranets from home or work are all tracked individually and all use individual login session authentication. This is not only how CelticsBlog works, it is how ALL login sessions work. How else would more than one person on a LAN or coming from a proxy connection such as what AOL uses that is constantly changing IP addresses during sessions be able to login here at the same time or stay logged in otherwise? How would the site be able to manage your posts properly, track what you've read and what you've not read and so on?

There is nothing wrong with how CelticsBlog is currently running. The site and its database are fine and our enterprise-class server's health is good and we have Tier One level connectivity to the internet. I do know that subscribers with at least one and possibly more ISPs in the Eastern United States have recently experienced severe slow downs in their high-speed services from home and office due to upstream problems encountered by those service providers.

One CelticsBlog member contacted me just a few days ago experiencing this very issue. His home computer was connecting to CB very slowly. However, his laptop which used different upstream connectivity dished up CB just fine. The difference was that for whatever reason, his home computer was having trouble connecting to CB because of the path of upstream service providers it was using whereas the laptop wasn't. Had the home computer used a path like the laptop, he wouldn't have experienced the slow down with it. Anyway, no big deal. Service problems like that are usually very short-lived.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »

Offline Truth Hurts

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16

2) Making a post;
3) Sending a PM;

This is my entire problem. Every single time I leave the site, and return...I have to log in again. I have "Remember me" checked, but it doesn't remember me. SO every time I enter the site, I have to log in again and wait 90 seconds to post. Frustrating.
"Odom drains another 16-footer. It's 24-7, Lakers. They look so possessed on both ends that they've earned at least five sitting ovations from the Lakers' crowd." - Simmons

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 08:55:54 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico

2) Making a post;
3) Sending a PM;

This is my entire problem. Every single time I leave the site, and return...I have to log in again. I have "Remember me" checked, but it doesn't remember me. SO every time I enter the site, I have to log in again and wait 90 seconds to post. Frustrating.
If you are getting logged out of CelticsBlog every time you leave the site, the issue is on your end of things. It might be related to cookies, javascript, firewall settings, proxy service, browser type/configuration, etc.

I recommend you read the two articles stickied in this Using CelticsBlog forum titled, "Connectivity and other usage problems with CelticsBlog" and "Enabling Javascript and Cookies in your web browser." Check your own setup against the recommendations made in those two articles.

Also everyone note that the 90 second flood control has been reset back to 30 seconds since the day after Draft Night. You should no longer have to wait 90 seconds to post now.
Yo no soy para el delicado!