Author Topic: Where would you rank our Defense...  (Read 1238 times)

Where would you rank our Defense...
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:12:05 PM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Against the recent NBA Champions, say the past 10 years or so. I remember Tracy McGrady saying that this was the best defense he played against since he’s been in the league when the Celtics snapped Houston’s 22-game winning streak in their house.  He debuted in 1997-98 during the finale Chicago Bulls 72-69-62 win 3-peat. Dwayne Wade also said the same thing with his 31% shooting and 13ppg vs the Celtics this season as the TV Analyst during the Finals. He debuted in 2003-04 the year with the Pistons shut down the Shaq-Kobe-Payton-Malone(injured) Lakers the way the Celtics just did and Ben Wallace was still a great enough defender to make the All-Star team.

Re: Where would you rank our Defense...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:30:24 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Pistons under Larry Brown was a great defense.  Held 6 straight opponents under 70 points?

The 2nd Bulls 3 peat with Harper-Jordan-Pippen-Rodman was pretty darn stingy.

This Celtics team was pretty dang good in their own right though...

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Where would you rank our Defense...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 11:33:23 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I don't think the C's played their patent "great" defense throughout the playoffs.

They really only played defense in stretches and period to period.

That's why we lost so many road games cause we let the opposing teams get too comfortable.

If the C's played the defense they played all year long they wouldn't have played so many games (which I didn't mind) and would have coasted to the Championship.