Author Topic: Nathan Jawai  (Read 17796 times)

Re: Nathan Jawai
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 12:11:44 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
If this guy came to this team with the right mindset and was willing to play hard he could be a STEAL. He has the athletic potential to be a good rebounder and defender. He wont be able to contribute much to this team without doing that first. He can catch and dunk with ease so hes a threat on offense. From the videos I saw it seemed like he had some decent post moves but nothing special. Put him with Clifford Ray for a few seasons and he could turn into a low post scorer.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 02:14:12 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
This question is directed at people who have watched Australian basketball.  How is the level of basketball out there compared to college basketball here?

IMHO, Australian basketball (the NBL-which is facing crisis at the moment) is similar to NCAA, althoguh NCAA Div 1 definitely got better athletes and some better teams. FYI, I know a couple of ballers from my HS that plays/will be playing bball for one of the top Div 2 NCAA colleges (Alaska Anchorage), while I'm not 100% sure, but they are not a guarantee to make any NBL teams, although hard to say when they finish their 4 years-so judge yourself. So my guess is that NBL teams are above average in NCAA.

With that said, Jawai while in one of the interviews, he appears to be a suprisingly nice guy (with good attitude) for someone with a meanstreak on the court.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 05:54:07 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 06:54:20 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Hereīs an interview with Jawai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSmcGQaqR3w&eurl=http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/2008_draft_interview_jawai.html

At the 3 minute mark, they ask him "Lakers or Celtics?", and he says Celtics, with a look on his face as if he wants to say "Cīmon, thatīs obvious".  ;D
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 09:21:51 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
In that interview he said he's only been playing for 4 years. That means he has A LOT of room for improvement and he'll need to expand his BB IQ while learning the American game of basketball.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 10:10:54 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
In that interview he said he's only been playing for 4 years. That means he has A LOT of room for improvement and he'll need to expand his BB IQ while learning the American game of basketball.
This means poor fundamentals as well. My impression is that players like this are a disaster waiting to happen, not a lot of room for improvement. I have a problem naming any player at all that came to the NBA with 4 years of experience in organized ball and became a legitimate contributor.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 10:30:14 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
This means poor fundamentals as well. My impression is that players like this are a disaster waiting to happen, not a lot of room for improvement. I have a problem naming any player at all that came to the NBA with 4 years of experience in organized ball and became a legitimate contributor.

Yes, the fact that he has only been playing for 4 years makes him a total project. He will be lacking a lot of the fundamentals that other players developed throughout their entire lives. However, I think we need to consider that Perk wasnt very fundamentally sound when we drafted him. Jawai is probably further along or at least equal to Perk when he was drafted. He might not be able to contribute right away but he could be a talented player for the future.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 10:32:20 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
He kind of reminds me of Saer Sene, the Senegal dude a few years back who people said had potential as a big man, but had started playing basketball really late. He still hasn't contributed yet.

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 10:49:37 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
with Clifford Ray working with the kid daily, I can see the argument for a project big man, but I'm still not sure about this kid - from the highlights it looks like he can be big in the post, but look at the competition, not exactly nba level or even NCAA... I think he'd get eaten alive by the NBA bigs. He seems to have a few post moves, but again we're only watching highlights.  Not many succesful guys have come out of Australia, Bogut and Luc Longley are the only ones who come to mind - the other ones I can think of Antsey and Heal both stunk - Longley and Bogut did both prove themselves in the NCAA system before being drafted to the NBA too... I think the potential reward on Jawaii may be higher than the risk, Danny's too smart to waste a draft pick on a "potential" guy, even at 30 - if he feels the value is there and the kid can play, he's the expert and I'm all for it - In Danny We Trust!
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 11:50:59 AM »

Offline SoberVinBaker

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
I have a problem naming any player at all that came to the NBA with 4 years of experience in organized ball and became a legitimate contributor.

Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 02:23:08 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I have a problem naming any player at all that came to the NBA with 4 years of experience in organized ball and became a legitimate contributor.

Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo

Hakeem Olajuwon started at the age of 17
Andrew Bynum with 15

Fluid, athletic big men are a rare breed. They have natural advantages. Fundamentals come with time. Many players have great fundamentals and never make it to the NBA. In fact, the whole NBA is full of players that lack fundamentals, nowadays.

See it this way:
If he only needed 4 years to work himself into a position where heīs considered a possible first-round pick, he seems to have a good work ethic, talent and ball IQ.

Iīm not saying thatīs the case with Jawai, but itīs too easy to say he isnīt a good pick because he might lack fundamentals, imo.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
More than the lack of fundamentals, I think many are overlooking his size. He'll be an undersized center in the NBA.

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 02:36:21 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
More than the lack of fundamentals, I think many are overlooking his size. He'll be an undersized center in the NBA.

With the lack of big Centers in the NBA, this shouldn't much of a problem. Also, I could see him used as a big PF at times.

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 02:44:36 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

With the lack of big Centers in the NBA, this shouldn't much of a problem. Also, I could see him used as a big PF at times.

How many successful 6'8'' centers are in the NBA today? I've never seen him playing, but if the scouting reports are accurate and he lacks lateral quickness, a jump-shot, perimeter defense and has a terrible off-hand, he'll really have to develop a lot in order to be able to play in the NBA as a PF.

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

How many successful 6'8'' centers are in the NBA today? I've never seen him playing, but if the scouting reports are accurate and he lacks lateral quickness, a jump-shot, perimeter defense and has a terrible off-hand, he'll really have to develop a lot in order to be able to play in the NBA as a PF.

Isn't he 6'10''?