Author Topic: Nathan Jawai  (Read 17727 times)

Nathan Jawai
« on: June 18, 2008, 08:33:22 PM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
The last few weeks I've really been studying up on this years draft, and one guy who I really like, who I think will be around is Nathan Jawai, the Australian big man.

At 6-10, 280+ lbs, he has legit size to play center or power forward.  He has good athleticism, and great hands (which helps him gather rebounds and play in the post).  He has a developing post game this includes a fade away and a decent jump hook, although I think he could work to add some more moves.  He also has a decent mid range shot, that he takes consistently at 8-15 feet.  Defensively, he has good length and strength.  He is often labeled as a big-time shot blocker.

I think he could be a steal at #30.  Of course he is a project, and you can question his competition level.  However, I think he could be a rotation guy in about 2 years, and a starter in 3-4.

Thoughts?

Re: Nathan Jawai
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 12:37:04 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I liked what I rad about him on nbadraft.net, but I haven't seen him pla outside of a few Youtube clips.  Has anyone seen him?

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 12:50:03 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Aside from Bill Walker...He is also one guy Id want on my team, he will be better than Perk was when he comes to the team and slightly inferior to Big Al but he sure does have a good upside in that we can develop this guy while still contend..He can spell Perk for that 10 impt min of the bench.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 12:51:16 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
I liked what I rad about him on nbadraft.net, but I haven't seen him pla outside of a few Youtube clips.  Has anyone seen him?

Indeed I have seen him play live a few times. I also believe he would be a steal at #30, I would probably compare him as a bigger version of Powe. With his size, he dominates Australian competition easily (I know it's different in US but Australia is ranked #2 in FIBA men and women combined if you didn't know), he is also good size for the NBA. He is still young and I see potential in him and he will no doubt be a solid starter one day.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 01:33:57 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
He looks like a bigger version of zach randolph. He looks like he wants to lead the team in scoring and the rest then will come. We need a player to do more of the dirty work and let the other players score. Maybe offensive skills can develop from then on

JJ hickson is a player i rather draft

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 02:43:31 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
If I remember correctly, Ainge actually went to Australia to see him play months ago. The Celtics are supposed to be one of a few teams with a real idea on his ability and skill. Does anyone else remember reading about that?

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 04:58:06 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
He looks like a bigger version of zach randolph. He looks like he wants to lead the team in scoring and the rest then will come. We need a player to do more of the dirty work and let the other players score. Maybe offensive skills can develop from then on

JJ hickson is a player i rather draft

I`ve heard the exact opposite from an australian friend. Character guy, hard worker, unselfish. I`ve already said several times on this board that my friend told me a lot of good things about Jawai, but I haven`t seen him myself, so take it with a grain of salt.

But I also like what I saw from Hickson in videos.  :-\
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 05:08:44 AM »

Offline Mother

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Jawai's athleticism is not all that great - he's a big lumbering guy, not a leaper.  I would say it's average, similar to Perk.

Of course he's a big time shot blocker.  He's playing in Australia and matched up against other big men who either are the same size and can't play a lick, or are 3-4 inches smaller than he.  Don't expect this trend to continue in the NBA.  Actually this brings up another point about his defense.  Nobody really knows his defensive potential because he's not a real hustle guy, and his competition is so inferior.  

His shooting touch is one of the most intruiging aspects of his game, because it means he has the potential to grow into a reliable scorer in the NBA.  He's pretty confident with that midrange jumper, and that's a great sign for his all around game (since most big men are told to focus on boards and D and worry about everything else later).  

About needing someone to do the dirty work, this is untrue.  We already have that player:  Kevin Garnett.  KG would be happy scoring 10 points a game for the next 4 years if we had a strong starting center to body-up the biggest player on the other team (Which KG doesn't want to do)and who could also shoot a bit and finish around the rim.  KG would be more than happy to pass them the ball.  Unfortunately we have Perkins catching those passes from KG.  THANK GOD Kendrick developed the mental patience to use that hesitation up-fake after he catches the ball that's been getting defenders to bite throughout the playoffs.

If Jawai came here, he would be put through the kendrick perkins training/eating program and after he sheds the baby fat we will see what we have for Clifford Ray to work with.  I think if he buys into all the reasons to WANT to play defense, he will be a decent starting center (on the level of Andrew Bogut).  But if he really does want to "lead the team in scoring" (which I don't see any evidence for), and rest on the other end of the floor, then he won't develop enough to be a real impact player in this league.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 08:42:47 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I watched a clip of him on nbadraft.net and he certainly is more athletic than Perk, especially with respect to his jumping. He caught a few nice alleys in that video. The guy we need to go with if he's available is the french center.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 10:21:21 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Jawai is WAY more athletic than Perk. His movement is very fluid for a guy his size. He can dunk with ease and it seemed like he had no problem catching passes and dunking the ball before the defense could react. The level of competition is very different but it looks like he has the potential to succeed over here. He seems to have a solid jumper with good mechanics. He releases high and seems to net most of his shots. He also shows a nice touch around the basket. I saw him make some left handed layups so he should be able to finish with both hands with ease after some work with Clifford Ray.

I dont know much about Jawai's work ethic or attitude but I've read he plays with a mean streak that should help him defend and rebound at the NBA level. He might be a gamble because of the level he is playing at, but he is probably the best center prospect out there.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 10:27:16 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Jawai hasn't been measured officially. He's listed anywhere between 6'9 and 7'0, although he will probably end up being 6'9. From what I hear, he's got gigantic wingspan, but it's still not clear whether he translates to an NBA PF. Either way, I tend to stay clear of guys that are being billed "Baby Shaq". The last one ate himself out of the Italian top league last season.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 10:37:18 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I like what ive seen and read about this kid. I think him and Perk would make a very good combination at the center spot and would be able to fill our center needs. He looks very explosive and is a high leaper who can block shots. The biggest thing that was mentioned about him was his emotion and that would make him fit in greatly on this team. Hed be great but id really like to pick up a legit seven footer for our bench.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 10:54:27 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I like what ive seen and read about this kid. I think him and Perk would make a very good combination at the center spot and would be able to fill our center needs. He looks very explosive and is a high leaper who can block shots. The biggest thing that was mentioned about him was his emotion and that would make him fit in greatly on this team. Hed be great but id really like to pick up a legit seven footer for our bench.

On the other hand, there is also this:

Quote from: DraftExpress
Something that is particularly concerning is the fact that Jawai doesn’t always seem to be playing at full speed. He’s not one of those super active big men who is always around the ball, lacking intensity and also some awareness at times.
Full article is at http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Introducing-Nathan-Jawai--2404/

I wonder how he's going to fit with the team in this particular aspect.

Oh, also: looking at the video that's posted on NbaDraft.net, travelling violation seems to be a highly unpopular call down under. The guy seems to shuffle his feet on every post move with his back to the basket.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 11:07:30 AM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
If his conditioning is right his intensity and awareness wont suffer. When and if the Celtics work him out they will determine if he has what it takes to get himself in that type of shape.

He would only play backup big man minutes for us at first anyway. I think he could keep up the intensity for 20 mins a game tops. Danny will do his homework. If this guy is legit then Danny will make the right move.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 11:08:34 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
This question is directed at people who have watched Australian basketball.  How is the level of basketball out there compared to college basketball here?