Author Topic: Posey opts out of contract?  (Read 6726 times)

Posey opts out of contract?
« on: June 18, 2008, 08:22:47 PM »

Offline Bhay99

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
a celtic fan on the ESPN NBA board said posey opted out of his contract and will become a free agent.

anyone else heard about this...is it true?

Re: Posey opts out of contract?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:39:38 PM »

Offline bigtyc55

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 5
i saw that on there and went through post by post for that thread and did not see any link.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:40:26 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
not right now but it prob will eventually turn out that way. Posey no matter what is not going to opt in another year for 3.5 million dollars thats for sure.So he will opt out, listen to some other offers compared to what the celtics will give him (i'am positive danny is ready to give him a 3 year 14-15 million dollar deal) .

He will do alot of contemplating, i think also because he is a good friend of house , they share the same agent and he was the one to get him to sign with the celtics, if house signs it could be easier for him to stay.

So danny right now stands at 71 million with posey and house not staying. I think he will offer house a fair 2.5 million dollar deal for three years(7.5 million total) and posey deserves no less than 5 million per year for three years(15 million). That would increase our totals to 78.5 million and also with that look for danny to trade his 30th pick if there are takers and try to land gold an early second round pick, which means also less money to guarantee the youngster.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 08:42:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
And thus the business side of basketball starts...Posey gets the star treatment whenever he returns to Beantown for life.  He was awesome.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 08:58:47 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
And thus the business side of basketball starts...Posey gets the star treatment whenever he returns to Beantown for life.  He was awesome.

As long as he doesn't go to LA, then I'm happy. Course, I'd love to have him back here for another year or two.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:00:36 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Posey's agent said he was going to.  I'm not sure if he's formally done so, but it's an inevitability.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 09:03:24 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Posey, we loved you on this team this year, please stay, and don't go to the Fakers, or any other team for that matter.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 09:18:08 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I think it's one or none for House and Posey unless Posey exercises his option. If Posey opts out, it's to get a deal for the full MLE. If we sign Posey to that (which I would), all we have for House is the LLE and I think he'll be looking for more. If House takes the LLE offer (unlikely since I think it would have to be for at least 2 years, and this is his best opportunity ever to cash in), we'd have: Rondo, Ray, House and Pruitt at guard; Pierce, KG, Posey, Powe, Davis and Scalabrine at forward; and Perk at center. 11 guys, help needed at center and maybe still point, and no room to sign anybody unless they agree to the minimum salary. We wouldn't even be able to sign second round picks.

I could handle that scenario, but it would become almost necessary to:
a) keep TA, since he's about the best player we could afford;
b) take a center who will be ready to play now with the 30th pick (fat chance of finding that) and use our second round picks on guys we could stash in Europe for a year or two, since we can't sign them now anyway;
c) look for veterans who will take the minimum - maybe we can get Pollard, Ratliff, and Darrell Armstrong, guys like that. But that's about it.

I really wish we could do some sneaky underhanded negotiations with Posey to get him to exercise that option in exchange for a wink and nod agreement that we'll resign him next summer for 3 years, $20 mil under his early Bird rights (we could go up to $6,059,340 in 09-10, and I think we could do $7 the two following years since we'd have his rights). That would add to 4 years, about $23.5 million, about the best he could hope for by opting out. Of course, wishing we could pull some McHale-like moves doesn't seem to pay off off the court. 

When Posey does opt out, I'd resign him for whatever and offer House the LLE.

If House takes it, we resign TA, go after Pollard, Ratliff, Armstrong, et al., use the 30th pick on a European big who is either ready to come over to the States now or could be stashed, and use the two second round picks on Euros who will definitely stay overseas for another year.

If House doesn't take it, we look for a shooter with the 30th pick, use the LLE to go after another center, and maybe take another center in the second round.

With Posey opting out, I think we'll have to move a lot quicker on making a deal involving Powe or Davis. One has to go this year, as we currently have two guys in the same role taking up an extra roster spot. I think we should deal Davis, personally, even though I love him. I'd make sure whatever deal was made included Scalabrine though, since I want it to bring back a guy who's either a legit shooter, a legit backup point, or a legit backup center.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 09:21:01 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
This is so complicated, and as sad as it is, we will have too many players on our roster and too little money to spend as well. We definitely must buy out people, for sure =/ Or, trade for next year's picks in 2010 or 2011 or something, but that's not good either.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 09:26:13 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
a celtic fan on the ESPN NBA board said posey opted out of his contract and will become a free agent.

anyone else heard about this...is it true?

That guy is not a Celtics fan.  He is a joke and a disgrace to the game of basketball.  That is all.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 09:42:23 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Doesn't he have a player option for next year? Doesn't that make it impossible for him to opt out because he isn't signed unless he picks up his option for this year. As someone who used to post on espn.com, once you find celticsblog there is absolutely no reason to ever be on that board.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Doesn't he have a player option for next year? Doesn't that make it impossible for him to opt out because he isn't signed unless he picks up his option for this year. As someone who used to post on espn.com, once you find celticsblog there is absolutely no reason to ever be on that board.

If he opts out he becomes an unrestricted free agent and is free to sign with any team, for any amount... I believe.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 09:51:56 PM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I think it's one or none for House and Posey unless Posey exercises his option. If Posey opts out, it's to get a deal for the full MLE. If we sign Posey to that (which I would), all we have for House is the LLE and I think he'll be looking for more. If House takes the LLE offer (unlikely since I think it would have to be for at least 2 years, and this is his best opportunity ever to cash in), we'd have: Rondo, Ray, House and Pruitt at guard; Pierce, KG, Posey, Powe, Davis and Scalabrine at forward; and Perk at center. 11 guys, help needed at center and maybe still point, and no room to sign anybody unless they agree to the minimum salary. We wouldn't even be able to sign second round picks.

I could handle that scenario, but it would become almost necessary to:
a) keep TA, since he's about the best player we could afford;
b) take a center who will be ready to play now with the 30th pick (fat chance of finding that) and use our second round picks on guys we could stash in Europe for a year or two, since we can't sign them now anyway;
c) look for veterans who will take the minimum - maybe we can get Pollard, Ratliff, and Darrell Armstrong, guys like that. But that's about it.

I really wish we could do some sneaky underhanded negotiations with Posey to get him to exercise that option in exchange for a wink and nod agreement that we'll resign him next summer for 3 years, $20 mil under his early Bird rights (we could go up to $6,059,340 in 09-10, and I think we could do $7 the two following years since we'd have his rights). That would add to 4 years, about $23.5 million, about the best he could hope for by opting out. Of course, wishing we could pull some McHale-like moves doesn't seem to pay off off the court. 

When Posey does opt out, I'd resign him for whatever and offer House the LLE.

If House takes it, we resign TA, go after Pollard, Ratliff, Armstrong, et al., use the 30th pick on a European big who is either ready to come over to the States now or could be stashed, and use the two second round picks on Euros who will definitely stay overseas for another year.

If House doesn't take it, we look for a shooter with the 30th pick, use the LLE to go after another center, and maybe take another center in the second round.

With Posey opting out, I think we'll have to move a lot quicker on making a deal involving Powe or Davis. One has to go this year, as we currently have two guys in the same role taking up an extra roster spot. I think we should deal Davis, personally, even though I love him. I'd make sure whatever deal was made included Scalabrine though, since I want it to bring back a guy who's either a legit shooter, a legit backup point, or a legit backup center.

We have the Bi-Annual Exception to offer House or another player since we didn't use that this year that's worth more than the $1.5 million House made this championship season. We could give Posey the FULL Mid-Level and resign House at the same or little more than he made last season if Ainge wants to go that direction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Salary_Cap#Bi-annual_exception

Bi-annual exception
The bi-annual exception may be used to sign any free agent to a contract starting at $1.672 million in 2005-06, but cannot be used two years in a row (and if the $1 million exception from the previous CBA was used in 2004-05, the bi-annual exception cannot be used in 2005-06). Like the mid-level exception, the $1 million exception can also be split among more than one player, and can be used to sign players for up to two years, with raises limited to 8% per year. This exception was referred to as the "$1 million exception" in the 1999 CBA, although it was only valued at $1 million for the first year of the agreement.

An example of the $1 million exception was when the Los Angeles Lakers signed Karl Malone to a contract before the 2003-04 season.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 09:56:15 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I think Posey will be back. On his Myspace, he posted a bulletin saying:

I just want to take the time out and thank all my fans and the ones that were there by the Celtics the whole way. We really appreciate the support and love you guys showed us. We will try to do it again next year.

Stay Blessed

Poz

Hopefully that means he will sign back here. And yes it really is him so don't try to say it isn't his page.

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 10:02:05 PM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
If he resigns with us, I'll definately add him as a myspace friend! lol. Do you have the link?