Author Topic: Who Will Our Draft Pick Be?  (Read 24338 times)

Re: Who Will Our Draft Pick Be?
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2008, 11:26:19 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The latest buzz is that Ajinca is going in the lottery and that the Celtics are scrambling to trade their pick (or more precisely, the player they select with the pick).

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2008, 11:32:43 AM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
^^ source?

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2008, 11:37:20 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Alexis Ajinca, Ante Tomic, or Omer Asik, in that order, is who the C's should look at for the pick.  They should take a big they can keep in Europe for a year or two to develop.  No one they add at #30 is going to help retain the title next season, so why not use the pick to build for the future?

Idk why you think that the #30 could not contribute in his rookie season.
Powe was a second year player picked at #49, for example. There`s a good chance Danny picks someone who can contribute right away.

Considering his Draft history, he will probably do a trade on Draft Night.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Alexis Ajinca, Ante Tomic, or Omer Asik, in that order, is who the C's should look at for the pick.  They should take a big they can keep in Europe for a year or two to develop.  No one they add at #30 is going to help retain the title next season, so why not use the pick to build for the future?

Powe was a second year player picked at #49, for example. There`s a good chance Danny picks someone who can contribute right away.

You have to look at who is available.  There might be some guys who could contribute right away:

Wings: Walker, Lee, CDR... and then Jordan, Forbes, and Weaver are lesser prospects who could as well, although I am not as confident that any of them are NBA players (I think Jordan has the best chance)

Bigs: White, Dorsey, and Hendrix are the only guys I really see contributing much right away, but White and Hendrix duplicate Big Baby and Powe, and Dorsey I just think will be a bust

So unless Walker, Lee or CDR falls to the C's, or they fall in love with one of those other wings, everyone else is a project.  Guys like Jawai, Hickson, Thompson, and even Hibbert will likely need a couple years of work (either on their bodies...Hibbert...or their games) before really contributing.  So all things equal, it might make more sense to draft a talented international guy, who you could keep off the books (and from eating roster space) for another year or two, while they develop.

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I would seriously consider trading up to get Bill Walker, if he cant fall to us at #30. He is a top notch athlete who could learn to be great from Ray and Paul. He would be another "piece" of the team for years to come.

Its hard to decide who to trade with the pick to move up but I think it comes down to a choice between BBD and Powe. We have a real log jam at the PF spot and we need to break that up.

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2008, 12:04:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I would seriously consider trading up to get Bill Walker, if he cant fall to us at #30. He is a top notch athlete who could learn to be great from Ray and Paul. He would be another "piece" of the team for years to come.

Its hard to decide who to trade with the pick to move up but I think it comes down to a choice between BBD and Powe. We have a real log jam at the PF spot and we need to break that up.

He is one of the guys I would trade up for as well.  I think if he can stay healthy, he could be one of the top 5 players taken in this draft in 3-4 years.

The thing is, he also could concievably see some time at PF as well.  He is a very big guy, who seemed to have a big wingspan.  He played the PF at times in college, and could certainly do it in a smallball lineup, with his strength and athleticism.

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2008, 12:17:16 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

You have to look at who is available.  There might be some guys who could contribute right away:

Wings: Walker, Lee, CDR... and then Jordan, Forbes, and Weaver are lesser prospects who could as well, although I am not as confident that any of them are NBA players (I think Jordan has the best chance)

Bigs: White, Dorsey, and Hendrix are the only guys I really see contributing much right away, but White and Hendrix duplicate Big Baby and Powe, and Dorsey I just think will be a bust

So unless Walker, Lee or CDR falls to the C's, or they fall in love with one of those other wings, everyone else is a project.  Guys like Jawai, Hickson, Thompson, and even Hibbert will likely need a couple years of work (either on their bodies...Hibbert...or their games) before really contributing.  So all things equal, it might make more sense to draft a talented international guy, who you could keep off the books (and from eating roster space) for another year or two, while they develop.

I see your point, and since we´re just talking fantasy draft, it makes sense. However, I want to answer with a friendly "Mock Schmock". :P

Every year, there are players that are drafted in the first round, and are out of the league fours years later, and second round players that will have a long career. From a Celtics POV, the only real constant in all of this tohuwabohu is that Danny picks the right guys (with very few exceptions).

And every year, you have experts giving you a C for your Draft just because you picked a guy at 8 who was projected at 15. But it´s just not that easy.

The point I´m desperately trying to make here is that if there´s a guy who Danny likes, he will draft him...and I am confident he will be able to contribute in 1 or 2 seasons. Thus, the whole "draft a euro to stash overseas" concept won´t have anything to do with Danny´s decision, imo.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2008, 12:23:56 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I see a lot of Pierce in Walker.

The mocks always seem to have Walker going late..so I guess theres some chance he falls to us.

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2008, 12:27:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I see your point, and since we´re just talking fantasy draft, it makes sense. However, I want to answer with a friendly "Mock Schmock". :P

Every year, there are players that are drafted in the first round, and are out of the league fours years later, and second round players that will have a long career. From a Celtics POV, the only real constant in all of this tohuwabohu is that Danny picks the right guys (with very few exceptions).

And every year, you have experts giving you a C for your Draft just because you picked a guy at 8 who was projected at 15. But it´s just not that easy.

The point I´m desperately trying to make here is that if there´s a guy who Danny likes, he will draft him...and I am confident he will be able to contribute in 1 or 2 seasons. Thus, the whole "draft a euro to stash overseas" concept won´t have anything to do with Danny´s decision, imo.

Well, I think it will have everything to do with Danny's decision if he is not blown away with the other options, and is unable to move the pick for value. 

If they are deciding between guys that they are not 100% sold on, then the smart move financially and for the teams future would be to take the one who can develop while someone else is paying them, rather than while the C's are paying them.

I agree that Danny won't pass up on "his guy", simply because he can't stash him for a couple of years.  But all things being equal, I think it certainly comes into play.

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2008, 09:16:06 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Well, I think it will have everything to do with Danny's decision if he is not blown away with the other options, and is unable to move the pick for value. 

If they are deciding between guys that they are not 100% sold on, then the smart move financially and for the teams future would be to take the one who can develop while someone else is paying them, rather than while the C's are paying them.

I agree that Danny won't pass up on "his guy", simply because he can't stash him for a couple of years.  But all things being equal, I think it certainly comes into play.

i find it strange that we aren't hearing reports of Danny working out more guys. i'm not sure what to make of that. he usually likes to workout anybody and everybody.

i wonder what he would do if someone like Batum dropped to us and he hadn't worked him out....would he look to deal the pick to a team that wants Batum to get maybe a future #1....

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2008, 09:18:14 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Once again, I believe the rumor that Walker has a promise from the Pistons at #29 to be true.

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2008, 09:24:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

i find it strange that we aren't hearing reports of Danny working out more guys. i'm not sure what to make of that. he usually likes to workout anybody and everybody.

i wonder what he would do if someone like Batum dropped to us and he hadn't worked him out....would he look to deal the pick to a team that wants Batum to get maybe a future #1....

Just because we don't hear about it, doesn't mean its not happening.

Besides, workouts are overrated.  They pay scouts a lot of money to watch these guys all season long (and Danny does plenty of it himself).

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2008, 09:50:15 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Besides, workouts are overrated.  They pay scouts a lot of money to watch these guys all season long (and Danny does plenty of it himself).

i agree about them being overrated but Danny has always brought in a ton of guys and we usually hear about it....maybe we will get some more reports in the next couple of days.

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2008, 09:53:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

i agree about them being overrated but Danny has always brought in a ton of guys and we usually hear about it....maybe we will get some more reports in the next couple of days.

I think the media hasn't shifted into draft mode yet.  Just like many of the fans, they are still reveling in #17

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2008, 10:00:53 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
i hope we dont "stash a guy overseas" just my 2 cents. seems like a giant waste of a pick when they can be here and learn. the spurs have been doing that and weve watched the entire team basically get old all at the same time this last year. drafting guys, developing them and then trading extra assets for contributing players is what got us where we are. why change that plan now just cause we got 17? there are players in this draft that can help us NOW.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...