Author Topic: Who Will Our Draft Pick Be?  (Read 24341 times)

Re: Who Will Our Draft Pick Be?
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2008, 03:38:07 PM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
I think Pruitt has developed decent from all reports and he is in the future plans for the C's.  I think, as danny has said before, he will take the best talent available.  I like Foster, but after watching a lot of videos of late first round picks, wow, jawai looks like a steal at 30.  Raw, but big body and passionate.  Looks like a perkins clone, but a bit more mobile.  Talk bout wearing you down, having perkins beat you like you stole something for 2 quarters, then this guy coming in off the bench. 

We just have to be careful if we go big to get either someone who can play a true Center or someone athletic enough to help us elsewhere.  We have enough tweener PF's, and powe and BBD have shown enough to both earn there keep there for a long time.  Another C would help keep KG from playing the center position in case of injury.  He prefers to play the PF and it just seems like a waste of his skillset to have him playing the 5 for any prolonged time.

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2008, 03:41:11 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think Pruitt has developed decent from all reports and he is in the future plans for the C's.  I think, as danny has said before, he will take the best talent available.  I like Foster, but after watching a lot of videos of late first round picks, wow, jawai looks like a steal at 30.  Raw, but big body and passionate.  Looks like a perkins clone, but a bit more mobile.  Talk bout wearing you down, having perkins beat you like you stole something for 2 quarters, then this guy coming in off the bench. 

We just have to be careful if we go big to get either someone who can play a true Center or someone athletic enough to help us elsewhere.  We have enough tweener PF's, and powe and BBD have shown enough to both earn there keep there for a long time.  Another C would help keep KG from playing the center position in case of injury.  He prefers to play the PF and it just seems like a waste of his skillset to have him playing the 5 for any prolonged time.

Jawai is intriguing...but I just don't know what to make of him.  Has anyone read anything about his workouts?

In general, power players from lesser leagues where they are bigger and stronger than everyone else are so tough to project.  It is tough to know if they are actually better than everyone, or just stronger...and if it will translate when they are playing against guys who are just as big and strong as they are.

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Courtney lee, hardin, hickson is my guess

the congo dude is athletic but such a big project its not worth it. I mean can you recall the last time a project ever became even a good player??

Rush we have no chance gone in the mid teens

If we had to draft a player because of dire need, we need to get hardin or hickson for upfront help.

But a guy like lee could help us out by next year if we don't resign tony allen. we will be pretty short stacked in the sg position.

danny will make the right choice. I think it will be one of those three above if they are still around

Some projects work out...
Bynum, Perkins, Gerald Gr....nope that's it just Bynum and Perk.

I would take the Congo dude. It's a great time to take a chance on someone like this.  With a great vet crew and a great big man coach.  We don't need this draft pick to step in right away.  Take a chance if the guy falls to you.  The guy plays in Spain, it's not like he's posting up Lions in the bush.   

OH WHERE'S THE NEGATIVE TOMMY POINT BUTTON!

Just playing man, you're absolutely right about Perkins and Bynum...but you could have used, say, Kedrick Brown as an example.

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 04:01:33 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think at that posistion Ainge will go with best player available at whatever posistion even if only to later trade pick.
Things we need to look at:
Posey, if he leaves we need to look at sf drafts
Pruitt, will he be ready to get some playing time at sg/pg next year...don't forget about him, this kid can shoot
backup center, pj did great, is he coming back, pollard can't help us, maybe vet signing
We are going to have 2 backup pf in Powe & Davis, like both of them, wonder if they are both going to be around.  Each one brings something different to the table
Tony Allen ???  Is he going to.........

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 04:31:50 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
AND while Danny might have been a whiner as a player what a great job he and the scouts have done in drafting!
well deserved award he won this year

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 04:44:49 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Jawai is intriguing...but I just don't know what to make of him.  Has anyone read anything about his workouts?

In general, power players from lesser leagues where they are bigger and stronger than everyone else are so tough to project.  It is tough to know if they are actually better than everyone, or just stronger...and if it will translate when they are playing against guys who are just as big and strong as they are.

First of all, I just want to say that I haven't seen Jawai play, so I defer to anyone who has seen him play.  However, I think that he'll be a good NBA player because of his attitude.  His nbadraft.net profile says that he's really intense and he's able to stay focused and play even better when he gets angry.  I think that a player with that type of attitude will do well in the NBA, especially given his physical tools.  Also, he only started playing basketball when he was 16, so his skills will probably come along as he gains experience.

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2008, 04:48:56 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Ibaka (the Congo dude) plays in Spain, but in a lesser division, not in ACB. And in a team that was rather weak. It's not like he's been facing Splitter, Rudy, Gasol, Rubio, etc on a weekly basis.

Jawai... I've never seen him playing, but he was not dominant in the Australian League. And he never got called to the Australian NT. He's also undersized to play center in the NBA.

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2008, 10:15:33 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Ibaka (the Congo dude) plays in Spain, but in a lesser division, not in ACB. And in a team that was rather weak. It's not like he's been facing Splitter, Rudy, Gasol, Rubio, etc on a weekly basis.

Jawai... I've never seen him playing, but he was not dominant in the Australian League. And he never got called to the Australian NT. He's also undersized to play center in the NBA.

He's 6'10" 280lbs.  Of course it would be ideal if he were a couple inches taller, but he's certainly not undersized.  I depends on his wingspan, in part.

In any case, we will start to read and hear all sorts of stuff about who Danny is looking at in the next few days, and I have one thing to say to that: *smokescreen*
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2008, 10:24:53 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Jawai is 6'10". If Perk can play Center so he Jawai. Jawai also has a very long wingspan. He should be fully capable of playing center from a physical standpoint.

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2008, 11:39:36 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

He's 6'10" 280lbs.  Of course it would be ideal if he were a couple inches taller, but he's certainly not undersized.  I depends on his wingspan, in part.

In any case, we will start to read and hear all sorts of stuff about who Danny is looking at in the next few days, and I have one thing to say to that: *smokescreen*

Maybe he's 6'10''.

But in the NBL site he's listed as a 6'8'' (and in film he looks a couple of inches shorter than Anstey).

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=player-profile&id=695
http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/centimeters-to-feet.htm

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2008, 11:55:01 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Danny will find a way to get Beasley and Rose while only giving up Scalabrine, the rights to Tony Allen and a 6 pack of expired Mountain Dew - that's how good he is...

But really, whoever Danny brings in will have been scouted tremendously, or will be a guy who drops unexplicably and has something to prove (hopefully)...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2008, 07:27:36 PM »

Offline stanthompsonismyhero

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • The Boston Three Party!
Alexis Ajinca, Ante Tomic, or Omer Asik, in that order, is who the C's should look at for the pick.  They should take a big they can keep in Europe for a year or two to develop.  No one they add at #30 is going to help retain the title next season, so why not use the pick to build for the future?
Curt Schilling: "It's a stupid idiotic comment to make."

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2008, 10:49:54 PM »

Offline murphman

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
What's the deal with Nikola Pekovic? Is he worth the pick?

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2008, 11:09:17 AM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
What's the deal with Nikola Pekovic? Is he worth the pick?

Well,i'm from Greece and my team Panathinaikos has just bought him!! And I can say he's [dang] good for his age,I mean he has already shown incredible things in Euroleague...but i don't know if he can adapt to the NBA style,he might prove to be like Milicic but,to me,i think he suits more than Darko to the NBA style!!He's a great rebounder(Of & Def) and he has been quite a scorer in his team,despite of the fact that he wasn't playing the whole game!!!well,he's good but I don't tell you about the adaption part!!!

I want us to pick Douglas-Roberts,am I asking too much???  ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:18:15 AM by albas89 »
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2008, 11:15:07 AM »

Offline Celts17Pride

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
George Hill is my guess.