Author Topic: Everything you wanted to say but couldn't for fear of jinxing the team  (Read 1119 times)

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I have been waiting to make this post since about late March when I felt everything was just going perfectly.  There's so many things I wanted to say, but didn't want to, for fear of jinxing the team, but now all those concerns are over, so here goes:

Thank goodness we made it throught the whole season healthy with no major injuries.  Sure we were concerned about Ray's ankles early in the year, Garnett had that abdominal strain, and then once we got to the Finals we had Pierce, Rondo, and Perk all a little dinged up, but that's nothing compared to what could have been.  No season ending surgery for anybody (except Scott Pollard), no real major lingering injuries that could have derailed our championship dreams.  It doesn't take much thought to think of teams whose postseason dreams got ruined because of a major injury to the team's star (Webber/Sacramento, Stoudemire/Phoenix, etc.), but we went the whole season with practically nothing, especially compared to other teams.

Thank goodness we had no major off the court issues.  There's so many off court issues that could hamper a team, and we had practically nothing.  Only thing I can think of is Ray Allen's family issues.  Not to say that's not a big deal, that's a huge deal, but it's not the kind of thing that lingers from city to city with the opposing fans calling you out on it and reporters keep bringing it up.  Our biggest off court issue probably could have been James Posey's DUI and that happened before he was even with the team.  No dog fighting, no rape accusations, no marital infidelity, no unfathered children, no brawls, no failed drug tests, no spygate, no nothing.

Thank goodness everyone got along and knew their role. There may have been a disagreement or two, but that happens to every team.  Sam Cassell may have shot a few too many times, but if your second or third string point guard taking a few ill advised shots is your biggest problem, you're doing pretty good.  No one complained when PJ Brown or Sam Cassell came aboard, even though. that took minutes from Powe, Davis, TAllen, and House.  Did you ever hear anyone complain?  Did Ray Allen ever complain about not getting his shots?  I heard Ray say in a press conference he was confused why he didn't get the ball more at times when he was hot, but he had to be prodded for that answer, he didn't seek out reporters and start venting that he didn't get the ball.  Even when guys like House and TAllen were getting DNP-CD's you still saw them jumping around on the bench, waiving towels, slapping hands, chest bumping guys, and providing emotional energy from the bench.  How many guys would do that when they had their minutes taken from them?  How many guys would act the way Big Baby and Powe did, playing a great game, then maybe having to sit a few.  Did you ever see them sulk?  Soon as their number's were called again they were ready to go and it was like they never missed a beat.  Did anyone really complain about minutes?  Some guys may have said they would like to play more, but everyone wants to play more, no one was complaining to the coach or demanding a trade.  It's a beautiful thing when a team plays together.

I'm glad the Celtics lost 2 in LA so that they could win in Boston.  I said before I was torn about who to cheer for in LA.  I wanted the C's to win so bad, but I figured it wouldn't get any better than having them win it in Boston.  What happnes if I was cheering for a loss in Game 5, and then the C's dropped both Games 6 and 7 at home?  I'd never forgive myself.  It worked out perfectly though, I think that Game 6 blow out was way better than having squeezed out a victory and the championship in Game 5.

And on a personal note, after last night, I'm 7-0 when attending Celtics games this season, including 4-0 on the road.  If I said before last night I was 6-0, well we all know what could have happened, but I'm safe to say it now.  ;D

I know you all got things you wanted to say, but were too scared to say for fear of jinxing the C's, so let's hear it.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class