Author Topic: Celtics contact Jorge Garbajosa  (Read 11635 times)

Re: Celtics contact Jorge Garbajosa
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 05:02:21 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
He's a solid veteran when healthy, but he's not the same player and he really isn't what we need, in my opinion. He can't defend, and is a combo forward. We need a center, a backup point guard, and potentially a swingman.

No harm in giving Garbo a look, but I don't think he's what we need.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Someone help me out here.

how does adding a 6'9" soft euro help us in any way?
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 06:10:21 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If Jorge's ankle is healed up (I've read rumors that he won't be able to pass an NBA physical) I definitely would give him a look, I think he could replace PJ without missing a beat.

Excuse me? Could replace PJ? Without missing a beat?

In the words of Marc Jackson - "come on Byrdman...YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT!"

Guys....i'm a lifetime Celtics fan born in Toronto.

When we got a franchise here in Toronto I became a Raps fan (but C's 1st, Raps 2nd of course - gotta stay loyal).

So, as someone who has seen plenty of Jorge Garbojosa i can honestly say NO, NO, and NO!

This man (Jorge) will put his country (Spain) before his team and is a selfish man.

I think wanting to play for one's country and risking professional career is the opposite of selfish. He risked his income for the sake of his national team.

Selfish would be the US stars not wanting to play over the last few olympics.

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2008, 07:12:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Jorge's ankle is healed up (I've read rumors that he won't be able to pass an NBA physical) I definitely would give him a look, I think he could replace PJ without missing a beat.

Excuse me? Could replace PJ? Without missing a beat?

In the words of Marc Jackson - "come on Byrdman...YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT!"

Guys....i'm a lifetime Celtics fan born in Toronto.

When we got a franchise here in Toronto I became a Raps fan (but C's 1st, Raps 2nd of course - gotta stay loyal).

So, as someone who has seen plenty of Jorge Garbojosa i can honestly say NO, NO, and NO!

This man (Jorge) will put his country (Spain) before his team and is a selfish man.

I think wanting to play for one's country and risking professional career is the opposite of selfish. He risked his income for the sake of his national team.

Selfish would be the US stars not wanting to play over the last few olympics.
I think this whole argument goes both ways depending on perspective and that both views are probably correct.

It is unselfish to want to play for and represent your country in an amateur tournament and show that your country is the best in the world at basketball. It is quite admirable.

On the other hand, it's also selfish to do so because you are now doing it for your own personal reasons and are shirking the responsibility of doing everything you can to become healed and productive for the team that is paying you $4.5 million per year to play for them. You entered into a contract and should be trying to do everything you can towards the advancement of the team that pays you. Doing otherwise is irresponsible, unloyal to the team you professionally represent.

I think I would have to seriously contemplate wanting to sign him because it would seem quite easy to question where exactly his priorities lie once he signs that contract.

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2008, 07:20:12 PM »

Offline MaxwellSmart

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Let's get him AND Shaun Livingston, then we're all set.

::)

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2008, 12:54:44 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Garbajosa is like James Posey. An intangibles guy who brings very good defense and three point shooting. I'd happily give Posey the trump card in each area but Garbajosa is a player in his own right.

The Raptors missed him hugely last season. He was one of their leaders on the court. He plays with incredible poise. At 6-10 he gave the Raptors a long combo forward who could space the floor. He doesn't look the quickest but he defending most small forwards very well. His team defense is exceptional. Great anticipation, responses and positioning. Very smart. Comes up with a lot of loose balls. Very good passer also.

He's a really nice player.

I like the Posey comparison; definitely the player in our current roster whose game most resembles Garbajosa's - though Posey is a better player. The idea that Garbajosa can't defend or that is a soft player is laughable. If anything, he's too hard (some would call him a dirty player).

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 01:27:53 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
According to the Spanish newspaper Marca, Jorge Garbajosa, whose contract was just voided by the Raptors has been contacted by the Celtics for a possible spot on the summer team to test out his surgically repaired ankle. Your thoughts on him as a Celtic and what he would add.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jorge_garbajosa/career_stats.html

We would be much better served (if we can resign house and posey to a 20% increase) signing another former Raptor, Jose Calderon for the full Mid-Level or for a sign and trade with our first and maybe TA.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2008, 01:33:04 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
According to the Spanish newspaper Marca, Jorge Garbajosa, whose contract was just voided by the Raptors has been contacted by the Celtics for a possible spot on the summer team to test out his surgically repaired ankle. Your thoughts on him as a Celtic and what he would add.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jorge_garbajosa/career_stats.html

We would be much better served (if we can resign house and posey to a 20% increase) signing another former Raptor, Jose Calderon for the full Mid-Level or for a sign and trade with our first and maybe TA.

Calderon is not a former Raptor (they're shopping TJ Ford) and it'll take much more than the full MLE or a first+TA trade to sign him...

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2008, 01:38:02 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
He isn't going to be replacing anybody, if he jumps aboard. What is he, a 6'9" poor defending tissue soft Euro shooter who came off of a serious knee injury not too far back? Why does anybody want this clown? We can do better than Jorge Garbajosa.

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2008, 02:06:43 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Some odd things have been said in this thread about Jorge Garbajosa:

1) "He could replace PJ Brown."
Garbajosa is not a center nor a classic PF and he's never played center in his whole career. He's a combo forward, who probably fits better the 3 in the NBA.

2) "He's soft."
Appalling. Garbajosa is one of the toughest players in the world. That's what made him a top basketball player. He plays hard, he fouls hard, he's physical. He's not even that good in anything else than playing hard. It's pretty much the only reason he was named to the 1st All-Rookie Team: toughness.

3) "He can't defend."
Untrue, once again. He's an average man-to-man defender, but he's an excellent help and team defender. He also provides a lot of hustle.

I'm pretty sure that most contributors to this thread haven't seen Garbajosa playing for a single minute.

With that being said, I don't think that C's will go after him and I'm very suspicious of his health condition.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:19:30 AM by cordobes »

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 03:49:03 AM »

Offline asterix

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
No, No and No again.
When he was healthy he was a soft 3 point shotting PF with no post up game and very little athletic ability.
Now he's been injured for a year and he's 32...

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2008, 04:03:56 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I think he's got skills, obviously, and might fit well in green, but he's truly a bad risk with his injuries and selfish play ... I think we can do far better.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2008, 04:13:56 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think he's got skills, obviously, and might fit well in green, but he's truly a bad risk with his injuries and selfish play ... I think we can do far better.
Selfish play?

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2008, 04:26:04 AM »

Offline Max Power

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Some odd things have been said in this thread about Jorge Garbajosa:

1) "He could replace PJ Brown."
Garbajosa is not a center nor a classic PF and he's never played center in his whole career. He's a combo forward, who probably fits better the 3 in the NBA.

2) "He's soft."
Appalling. Garbajosa is one of the toughest players in the world. That's what made him a top basketball player. He plays hard, he fouls hard, he's physical. He's not even that good in anything else than playing hard. It's pretty much the only reason he was named to the 1st All-Rookie Team: toughness.

3) "He can't defend."
Untrue, once again. He's an average man-to-man defender, but he's an excellent help and team defender. He also provides a lot of hustle.

I'm pretty sure that most contributors to this thread haven't seen Garbajosa playing for a single minute.

With that being said, I don't think that C's will go after him and I'm very suspicious of his health condition.

I'm totally agree with you, I think Garbajosa is a better version of Scals and if he 's healthy will be a good sign.

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2008, 04:45:29 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I'm starting to believe that many in this board are confusing Garbo with Bargs...  two Europeans who play for Toronto... soft? selfish? unathletic (well, maybe after the injuries)? PF/C? This guy is a defensive role-player, not a scorer...

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 04:54:07 AM by cordobes »