Author Topic: Celtics contact Jorge Garbajosa  (Read 11727 times)

Re: Celtics contact Jorge Garbajosa
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 01:04:30 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Yup, Nick.

EUROPEANS LACK GOOD DEFENSE, the last time I checked.

Most Europeans that we know are good offensive players (I.E. Dirk Pau ), but seem to be not built for defense. Can't think of anyone else, oh yeah Bargnani, he seems laterally slower, and is mainly in the NBA because he is tall, and shoot the 3 Sometimes.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 01:05:25 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I think this is going to be just one in a long line of rumors and stories of players who will be interested in playing in Green for the next couple of years.

If he's healthy, and from rewatching that vid that's a big if, he could be a nice addition. But after watching this series, adding a Euro player might not be the right thing. They don't appear to have....um....you know.

Besides, the backup point, a backup center and a defensive wing need to be the priorities. Does Jorge even address those needs?

::)

You know, here in europe, we have the same stereotypes about american soccer players...soft  ;)

Some are, some not, and I think Garbajosa is one of the more scrappy players.

To put things in perspective:

Compared to Kobe Bryant, Dirk looks like Robert Parish  ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:17:59 PM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 01:06:23 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Where's the link? I haven't been reading anything NBA-related in Marca for the last couple of weeks because of the Gasol fanaticism, but I went to their site today just to see what was going to be their spin and I haven't found this news. Just checked again and I can't find it. And it's not in the printed edition. 

Anyway, as many others have said he'd be a nice addition if, and only if, he's completely healthy. But everybody is convinced he'll be returning to Europe.

p.s. - I can't believe that a person who has seen a single game from Garbajosa can say he is soft...

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 01:08:10 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
EBWOP: Dang too many people posting and viewing the thread, so it says Contact Admin.

Anyway, people like Andrea Bargnani have potential as offensive players, and wouldn't really help the C's in terms of enforcing good/great defense.

How much would a player like Barnes cost/demand?

Also, what kinds of point guards are available at 30, or in the 2nd round?

Less discussed: Do you all think we should draft a European and stash him/her overseas? In the 2nd round at pick 60.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 01:12:39 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
No harm in bringing Jorge in for a look.

I like Barnes -- he is a scrappy hustle player, who could really develop on the defensive end.  I think Barnes (or possibly Pietrus) are the types of players the Cs should target if Posey moves on.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Yup, Nick.

EUROPEANS LACK GOOD DEFENSE, the last time I checked.

Most Europeans that we know are good offensive players (I.E. Dirk Pau ), but seem to be not built for defense. Can't think of anyone else, oh yeah Bargnani, he seems laterally slower, and is mainly in the NBA because he is tall, and shoot the 3 Sometimes.

You forget an important part:
Defensive players are normally not as exposed as offensive players (especially at a young age), so they won`t get drafted.

And almost every euro player who makes it in the NBA came to the US at a very young age, and even the american defensive players are not that good when they´re younger.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 01:22:18 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I think this rumor is untrue. Nobody in Spain has ever heard of it. There's no reference about Garbajosa joining the C's in Marca. The OP should come up with a link.

Garbajosa, like Pietrus or AK47, is one of the few Europeans in the NBA that indeed plays good defense.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:39:42 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 02:25:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Garbajosa is like James Posey. An intangibles guy who brings very good defense and three point shooting. I'd happily give Posey the trump card in each area but Garbajosa is a player in his own right.

The Raptors missed him hugely last season. He was one of their leaders on the court. He plays with incredible poise. At 6-10 he gave the Raptors a long combo forward who could space the floor. He doesn't look the quickest but he defending most small forwards very well. His team defense is exceptional. Great anticipation, responses and positioning. Very smart. Comes up with a lot of loose balls. Very good passer also.

He's a really nice player.

The Toronto Star had a story a week or so ago saying the Raptors were preparing to buyout Garbajosa. There's a couple of reports saying he can't pass a physical so as a trade asset he's limited. Last comment from Colangelo I've seen on the subject was:
"We're still working on a resolution to the entire Garbo scenario," Toronto's president and general manager Bryan Colangelo said.

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 02:32:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Garbajosa is like James Posey. An intangibles guy who brings very good defense and three point shooting. I'd happily give Posey the trump card in each area but Garbajosa is a player in his own right.

The Raptors missed him hugely last season. He was one of their leaders on the court. He plays with incredible poise. At 6-10 he gave the Raptors a long combo forward who could space the floor. He doesn't look the quickest but he defending most small forwards very well. His team defense is exceptional. Great anticipation, responses and positioning. Very smart. Comes up with a lot of loose balls. Very good passer also.

He's a really nice player.

The Toronto Star had a story a week or so ago saying the Raptors were preparing to buyout Garbajosa. There's a couple of reports saying he can't pass a physical so as a trade asset he's limited. Last comment from Colangelo I've seen on the subject was:
"We're still working on a resolution to the entire Garbo scenario," Toronto's president and general manager Bryan Colangelo said.
There it's all over the news today that the Raptors, the Spanish Basketball Federation and the player have agreed to rescind Garbajosa's contract with the teams. I have no idea what this implies, but I guess we'll wait and see. I think it's more important to concentrate on bringing back Posey, House and Tony, and snatching a good big man in the draft.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 02:37:13 PM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
I think this rumor is untrue. Nobody in Spain has ever heard of it. There's no reference about Garbajosa joining the C's in Marca. The OP should come up with a link.

Garbajosa, like Pietrus or AK47, is one of the few Europeans in the NBA that indeed plays good defense.

Cordobes - I heard this  directly from a journalist for Marca on TVE (Spanish TV). I am trying to get him to send me the link to verify my original post
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 02:51:52 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Cordobes - I heard this  directly from a journalist for Marca on TVE (Spanish TV). I am trying to get him to send me the link to verify my original post

Ah, okay then. The story has not made the Marca website yet. The latest news on the Garbajosa situation there is that Unicaja and Real Madrid are interested in getting him.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 04:21:11 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
If Jorge's ankle is healed up (I've read rumors that he won't be able to pass an NBA physical) I definitely would give him a look, I think he could replace PJ without missing a beat.

Excuse me? Could replace PJ? Without missing a beat?

In the words of Marc Jackson - "come on Byrdman...YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT!"

Guys....i'm a lifetime Celtics fan born in Toronto.

When we got a franchise here in Toronto I became a Raps fan (but C's 1st, Raps 2nd of course - gotta stay loyal).

So, as someone who has seen plenty of Jorge Garbojosa i can honestly say NO, NO, and NO!

This man (Jorge) will put his country (Spain) before his team and is a selfish man.

He is an overrated player because he's a guy who doesn't do one particular thing VERY WELL but doens't do anything poorly.

Here's my scouting report on Jorge Garbojosa (we just call him Garbo):

Knee Problems
Demands PT (or becomes a problem in the locker room, with coaches, etc...)
Terrible moving EAST/WEST
Terrible defender
Terrible mid-range game
No back-to-the-basket game AT ALL
Soft
Poor communication skills
Has no lift
Very inconsistant from downtown (although people will argue he can stretch the floor)

Other than that he's great! lol ;D
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 04:35:44 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I'd sign him. He's better than Scal.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 04:55:50 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
I don't want him. We have Powe and Baby at the backup PF spot, and will likely draft a rookie, and sign another veteran for the backup C spot.

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 05:00:58 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
I think it's pretty obvious he will if this rumor is true just get a look; most likely no signing.

Anyways, just saw this on Yahoo, though it's been up about 3 hours.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AglMCQkZIGc7avNe9lU6pScQmNIF?slug=ap-raptors-garbajosa&prov=ap&type=lgns