Author Topic: Celtics contact Jorge Garbajosa  (Read 11638 times)

Celtics contact Jorge Garbajosa
« on: June 18, 2008, 12:30:17 PM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
According to the Spanish newspaper Marca, Jorge Garbajosa, whose contract was just voided by the Raptors has been contacted by the Celtics for a possible spot on the summer team to test out his surgically repaired ankle. Your thoughts on him as a Celtic and what he would add.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jorge_garbajosa/career_stats.html
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

Re: Celtics contact Jorge Garbajosa
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 12:32:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I didn't think the Celtics were going to have a summer team. 

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:33:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

We're having our own "free agent camp", so maybe the reporter was confused.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:35:17 PM »

Offline Byrdman

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
If Jorge's ankle is healed up (I've read rumors that he won't be able to pass an NBA physical) I definitely would give him a look, I think he could replace PJ without missing a beat.
I need to post more so that I'm no longer characterized as Tony Allen

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 12:36:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This doesn't make much sense.  I understood it as the Raptors worked out a buyout so that Garbajosa could return to Europe.  They made it sound like he did not have any interest in returning to the NBA.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:37:18 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I'd say he's worth a shot, if he's healthy.  This guy breaks a lot of energy heart and hustle to the table.  Pre-injury (I still shiver remembering it) he was a very effective player.

I'd like to see him in Green - bring it on.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:38:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

We're having our own "free agent camp", so maybe the reporter was confused.

If that is the case, he wants to join the Celtics.  If he just wanted to show himself, he would have contacted a team that hasa summer league team so other teams could scout him.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 12:38:34 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Either way, I don't think he's the right signing, or worthwhile one.

He's: 6'9, is 30 or 31, and is an injury liability.

Doesn't sound right to me, but I haven't really watched this player before, or paid any attention to him much.

I think he should stay in Europe.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 12:39:33 PM »

Offline Rizzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8

Maybe playing a joke on poor Jorge???  :D

To be honest, I'm not really sure where he could fit in on this team. We also have to wait and see who stays and who leaves. PJ Brown, Sam Cassell, James Posey, Eddie House and Tony Allen could all be on the way out. Personally, I'd like to see us keep them all, but I really think that PJ Brown and Sam Cassell are gone. PJ will retire on top like the champion he is and Cassell will go to Denver.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 12:41:03 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
ah definitely take him to replace pj i'd love that *if* his ankle holds up. since his rookie year in toronto i thought he could play. i like that.

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 12:43:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
He's a very versatile big man who can stretch the floor and is a great passer, *if* he's healthy.  Either way, I'd have absolutely no problem signing him with the veteran minimum, if he'd like to come here.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 12:47:52 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Isn't Garbajosa the player that tried to challege Al on a fast break dunk and broke his leg? I can only remember him screaming in pain from the floor. As I recall, it was a nice hustle move.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 12:48:25 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
If he can pass the physical, I`m all for it as a replacement for PJ. Great energy guy, smart and versatile.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This doesn't make much sense.  I understood it as the Raptors worked out a buyout so that Garbajosa could return to Europe.  They made it sound like he did not have any interest in returning to the NBA.
The thing is, the Raps and the Spanish basketball federation are locked in a dispute over his insurance. Additionally, the Raptors are unwilling to let him play in the Olympics. I think this is what ultimately caused it.

He'd be great to have because he can play, but there a couple of concerns. First, his health, obviously. They say he's fully healed, but you'll never know until the leg is battle-tested.

Second, he's not a shot blocker. Adding a third 6'9 center is just not going to do it for us. Sure, he'll probably give us more consistency in the rotation, and he can spread the floor because he's a shooter, but I think we need at least 1 long, athletic body on the bench. In this vein of thought, it would be great if we can nab Hardin in the draft. He looks exactly like the type of prospects Danny likes to go for -- solid college career, stand-up guy, can play (as opposed to 'has potential'). He'll fit great behind Perk.

And last, but not least, there are plenty of quality teams in Span where he can likely make more money. I don't see him coming back to the NBA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 12:57:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think this is going to be just one in a long line of rumors and stories of players who will be interested in playing in Green for the next couple of years.

If he's healthy, and from rewatching that vid that's a big if, he could be a nice addition. But after watching this series, adding a Euro player might not be the right thing. They don't appear to have....um....you know.

Besides, the backup point, a backup center and a defensive wing need to be the priorities. Does Jorge even address those needs?