Author Topic: Guess what ... the draft is in 8 days!  (Read 11286 times)

Re: Guess what ... the draft is in 8 days!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 02:41:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Enough of the p-word right now. You can't bench Garnett and Perk to develop talent.

No, but they won't be around forever.

I'm perfectly content to go for a Euro at #30. Let him continue to season overseas. Free agency will mean more for our chances to repeat than the draft will this year anyways. 
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I have faith that Danny will make the right choice at #30.

With the C's being so good this year I haven't watched more than 3-4 college games all year.  And that feels great! ;D

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »

Offline GaBerkowitz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
I want to see them draft a wing player.  Legit size (not Powe/Baby) size is not going to be there at 30.  Some names that I like are Bill Walker, Gary Forbes, or Chris Douglas Roberts.  Bring in an experience big if PJ retires, resign posey 1st. house if you can, and allen if he takes minimum money. otherwise im happy with where we are

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 02:47:08 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I haven't paid attention to people like Hardin before.

I agree with the previous post, except I don't know if we should keep Sam I Am...

My gut says don't, but I really don't know if we could find someone better, and for a reasonable, affordable price.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 02:59:41 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
what do you think about the second round?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 03:13:32 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
to my untrained eye, if danny came away with hardin and bryce taylor it will have been a very productive draft.  in any case, i trust him to make the right choice.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
OK, now that I have started thinking about the draft a little more thoroughly, here is my list of guys I want, guys I don't want, and guys I just don't know enough about (I am only including players who might have a small chance of being at 30)...

Guys I want:
Rush
Walker
CDR
Ajinka
Tomic
Batum
Lee (he is my sleeper...I think he could be an Ainge guy)
Plaisted
Ibaka
Thompson
Hickson

Guys I don't want:
Hibbert
Dorsey
DJ White (love him as a player, but I just think he doesnt fill a need)
Ryan Andersen (lack of defense scares me)
Chalmers (again, love him as a player, but we don't need another young PG)
Devon Hardin (guys with a ton of talent, and lots of college experience, but who never were very productive are not the kind of guys I think they should be drafting)

Guys I just don't know enough about to judge:
Nathan Jawai (I like him in theory, but the lack of competition is tough to read)
Erden and Asik (just know nothing about them)
Pekovic (he might be a nice fit...but I don't know if he would ever come over)
Gary Forbes
Kyle Weaver

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 04:14:47 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Well if Detroit really did make a promise to Walker then we have to go big, I think.

Might as well take one of Thompson, JJ Hickson, Ajinca, or Anderson, or if available Serge Ibaka.

And if Utah passes up Hibbert for someone like Ajinca or Ibaka I could see him slipping to 30... It might be a little hard to pass him up there even for people who don't like him. (Like me)

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 04:42:54 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think Robin Lopez would be the perfect pick. Legit 7 footer with shot blocking ability.

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 04:59:15 PM »

Offline ReadyFor17

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • The shortest answer is doing the thing
I love Brandon Rush. NBA body, great length can be a solid contributor next season. Would take Walker as well although he has a pretty significant history of injuries and even had an injury during a recent workout. He has as high a ceiling as anyone that will be available towards the end of the first round. Reminds me a little of Bonzi Wells.

Please no Euros. They're just too much of a question mark and most of them play a finesse game with matador defense. You couldn't sell me on the "potential" of any available Euros. Maybe I'm biased because I just watched three of them lay an egg in the NBA finals. What does it tell you when the big softy Pau Gasol is a top 5 European player? I doubt any Euro they might draft could be anywhere near as good as he is. Pass.

Draft a big rebounder/defender or the BPA - preferably a swingman that can defend or a backup pg. There are no big holes on this team, especially if they can manage to resign Posey and House, but imo stashing a Euro would be a wasted pick - these guys miss more often than they hit. Fortunately it hasn't been Danny's mo to draft foreign players so I don't expect him to start now.
"But man is not made for defeat. Man can be destroyed but not defeated."

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 05:05:07 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
I've said this from day one and I am sticking to it: Kyle Weaver.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 05:11:53 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Was reading Chad's Mock 5.0, and apparently Bill Walker may be sliding... you guys hear anything as to why this may be? Are teams getting impressed by other players, or is Bill Walker not showing to be as good as expected?

I'm glad he's sliding, so that the Celtics have a better shot at getting him... but I'm wondering about the reasons for his slide.

I know it's all speculation at this point, but wondering what you guys are hearing:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080617

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »

Offline ReadyFor17

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • The shortest answer is doing the thing
Was reading Chad's Mock 5.0, and apparently Bill Walker may be sliding... you guys hear anything as to why this may be? Are teams getting impressed by other players, or is Bill Walker not showing to be as good as expected?

I'm glad he's sliding, so that the Celtics have a better shot at getting him... but I'm wondering about the reasons for his slide.

I know it's all speculation at this point, but wondering what you guys are hearing:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080617

Mentioned it in my post above but here's a link:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/16/despite-knee-injury-kansas-states-bill-walker-decides-to-stay/
"But man is not made for defeat. Man can be destroyed but not defeated."

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »

Offline Norcalceltic

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
The crazy thing is, for years The Draft was the day I looked forward to the most for the Celtics. The Draft Lottery was also a huge day for me. But not this year baby!! This year the Draft is the icing on the Cake.

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 08:00:38 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Mentioned it in my post above but here's a link:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/16/despite-knee-injury-kansas-states-bill-walker-decides-to-stay/

Didn't see the "injury during recent workout" thing... thought you were talking about his old knee injury.

Well, it doesn't worry me much, let's go for him still if he's around.