Author Topic: One more reason the Lakers lost  (Read 3898 times)

One more reason the Lakers lost
« on: June 18, 2008, 08:15:13 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I saw this on a Lakers forum, and it cracked me up:

Quote from: Lakers fan
Obviously we lost this series because we are not tough enough. Not being able to close out gap, beat the home crowd (or ignore the noise). They are intimidated by Boston's defense, which is great by the way. Most of them just look at the refs after literally every play, while on Boston's sides they just put the heads down and run back. That's mental softness. And we need to change that in the offseason.

My rating on them (toughest first):

1 Fisher
2 Kobe
3 Sasha
4 Odom

HAHAHAHAHAHA.  When Sasha Vujachic is your third toughest player, and Odom is #4, you know your team is screwed.  That brought a smile to my face. 

Mentally weak.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: One more reason the Lakers lost
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:29:52 AM »

Offline Tenacious D

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 232
When Sasha Vujachic is your third toughest player you know your team is screwed.

Tommy point, Roy. When your "3rd toughest guy" whines to the media about dirty play? Oh my. Im thinking how Ray posterierized Sasha late in the game.
"Celtics Bring Structure And Discipline To A Chaotic World"

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 09:23:35 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Sasha is tough on offense only, he isn't afraid to shoot like a lot of the Lakers were last night, but he is terrified on defense.

Odom is a punk, not tough, not even close. He was an embarrassment at the end of the game, he was just out there to hurt people, and I blame Phil Jackson for not pulling him earlier.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:28:50 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
odom is not tough, he's dirty. awful sportsmanship and just an overall bad character player, seen when he tackled ray allen.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 09:37:47 AM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
I basically agree with the Laker fan's diagnosis of the problem, although I'd add mediocre defense in addition to mental softness, but his list of the "toughest" Lakers reeks of homerism.  I really don't think any one on that team is particularly tough.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 09:40:35 AM »

Offline TerreHaute

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
If Odom would have put the same effort into the first 40 mminutes that he put into the last 8, the Lakers might not have been in the position they were in.

To me, toughness is playing hard even when things go bad, or not letting your teammates cave in, or executing in the end game. There wasn't one player on the Lakers (everyone's beloved Kobe included) who showed any of these things consistently in this series.

With that definition, I would have trouble putting the toughness label on anyone but Derek Fischer on that team. He gets that for how he handles off-court issues as much as on-court issues.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 09:42:58 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I like the LA Times front page:
(picture of Kobe)
"MVP? More Like MIA"

My Laker friend told me he was SO
embarrassed by the Lakers' effort.
Or maybe lack of effort!
He basically said they played like
sissies. I did not argue with him.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 09:46:56 AM »

Offline Oldschoolkid

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Bynum is going to be a problem next year, he is a strong kid, big....with kobe and Gasol, that will be a tough lineup...Bynum is like Orlando's Howard, put 7' Gasol and Kobe....we will have to work them over good!!! The Lakers lost this year basically because they have a worse team than cleveland. a few European shooters, average point guards, Lamar Odom could be great, but he probably won't be. Bad attitude. There are a ton of players like him around, everyone can see the potential, but also can see the problem with him. Funny whoever said the Lakers look at the refs every play.....like spoiled kids. Phil Jackson isn't ever going to be near Red....Phil didn't invent anything, Tex Winter invented the triangle offense, Jordan ran that team..IF Phil was sooo great he would have made that team work better.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 09:52:25 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Beyond toughness, I think another huge reason why LA lost...

Arrogance.

An arrogant coach who sincerely loathes Boston and believes he is significantly better than the Celtics organization as well as an arrogant star and an arrogant fan base.

How sweet it is!
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 09:53:53 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Maybe the Lakers spent just a little
too much time listening to the so-called
experts over at ESPN.

Which reminds me: Thank you, Tim.
You believed in us. So thank you!

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 09:55:40 AM »

Offline cfly34

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
comparing bynum to dwight howard is very misguided...