Author Topic: Danny Ainge is a god  (Read 6560 times)

Re: Danny Ainge is a god
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 02:06:49 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I disagree with this point of view.  I think Ainge did a good job sure, but it was his job, this is what he gets paid to do.  I think that the real credit for Ainge's success should go to Doc.  Doc took mid first round picks, and second round picks and molded them into products that other teams were interested in.  He developed the talent that Ainge shopped around, and without Doc, neither the Ray Allen trade or KG trade would have happened, IMO. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 02:16:02 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
I disagree with this point of view.  I think Ainge did a good job sure, but it was his job, this is what he gets paid to do.  I think that the real credit for Ainge's success should go to Doc.  Doc took mid first round picks, and second round picks and molded them into products that other teams were interested in.  He developed the talent that Ainge shopped around, and without Doc, neither the Ray Allen trade or KG trade would have happened, IMO. 

Danny deserves at least as much as credit as doc does, just because, look at the NBA... Look at Lebron, the Knicks, the Heat, the Clippers, teams are destroyed by gm's every year. Danny did the unbelievable. If the NBA's gm's were graded on a curve, D.A. would be the kid everyone hated in class. Cuz what he does and did was and is redonkulous.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 04:33:23 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
part of it all is sheer luck, although that can be said of all winners.

The suns were the first to consider hiring Thibodeau after JVG left Houston, but D'antoni was against it. And they didnt get Garnett because they didnt want to include Amare on the deal. They were in the driver's seat to acquire two of the key pieces to our puzzle and they decided not to.
Can you imagine a Suns team well coached on D, with Garnett and Marion on the line up?

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

So are you saying that no matter who Ainge had drafted, Doc would have been able to mold them into products that other teams were interested in?

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 02:09:30 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

So are you saying that no matter who Ainge had drafted, Doc would have been able to mold them into products that other teams were interested in?

and you have to remember that without ainge, doc wouldn't even be here. yes, you can argue that doc molded these young guys and all. but that's precisely why he got doc in the first place. he knew that doc was a players' coach and that he was perfect for the celtics' youth movement. he could've easily fired doc during the dark days, but he chose to stick with him til the end. and the rest they say is history...

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 03:30:46 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Danny should have won Executive of the Year, and I'll never understand why he didn't ... really big slight if you ask me. I personally can't weigh one person over the rest, however, for while he was the guy that masterminded this whole deal, it was still up to many others, (the coaches, team, etc.), to actually put the plan into action and use the tools to their utmost effectiveness. This was a joint effort all the way around, and Danny deserves as much credit as anyone, and a huge thanks from all of us. His interview with Tommy and Mike was great, and I hope we see more of the same, and some real proper recognition for our GM.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 04:26:50 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Danny should have won Executive of the Year, and I'll never understand why he didn't ... really big slight if you ask me.
Bahku, Danny did win Executive of the Year.

http://www.nba.com/ainge_executive_080514.html

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 08:20:30 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Danny should have won Executive of the Year, and I'll never understand why he didn't ... really big slight if you ask me.
Bahku, Danny did win Executive of the Year.

http://www.nba.com/ainge_executive_080514.html

Yep, it was a travesty that he only got 18 out of 47 votes, but he still won.  It shouldn't have been nearly that close, though (Jeff Bower from New Orleans got 12 votes?  What did he do in the last year?  Draft Julian Wright?)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 08:59:53 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I've noticed that Ainge seems content to be in the background, which makes me like him even more. The only time I've really seen him hunt for camera time is when things had been going poorly. He is a class act and deserves our praise, but my guess is he enjoys watching the guys he put into place get the accolades!

He's definitely the anti-Jerry Jones.

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 09:04:20 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
B-ball god, GM god and baseball god, too

Thank you so much, Danny Boy!