Author Topic: Someone talk me off this ledge!  (Read 5689 times)

Someone talk me off this ledge!
« on: June 17, 2008, 01:51:30 AM »

Offline Vegas Green

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I'm trying to think good thoughts.  We are the better team.  We do have the next two games at home.  Defense wins championships and we play much better defense than the Lakers, BUT...there are way too many bad things happening here. 

1.  Our plane gets in to Boston late with mechanical problems.  Not a huge deal, but still
2.  Perkins looks like he is out for the rest of the playoffs.
3.  Ray Allen was still in LA as of Monday night with his ill son.  (One huge bit of good news is that it seems his child is okay.)
4.  Rondo looks like he has lost all confidence
5.  KG had a tough time being aggresive in Game 5, which we need now more than ever with Perk on the shelf.
6.  Doesn't some team have to come back from 3-1 to win a series?

Stop it. Stop it. Stop it!!  Why can't I stop thinking bad thoughts.  Somebody tell me to relax.  Somebody tell me something positive.  PLEASE!!

Re: Someone talk me off this ledge!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 01:53:03 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm trying to think good thoughts.  We are the better team.  We do have the next two games at home.  Defense wins championships and we play much better defense than the Lakers, BUT...there are way too many bad things happening here. 

1.  Our plane gets in to Boston late with mechanical problems.  Not a huge deal, but still
3.  Ray Allen was still in LA as of Monday night with his ill son.  (One huge bit of good news is that it seems his child is okay.)
5.  KG had a tough time being aggresive in Game 5, which we need now more than ever with Perk on the shelf.

Stop it. Stop it. Stop it!!  Why can't I stop thinking bad thoughts.  Somebody tell me to relax.  Somebody tell me something positive.  PLEASE!!

You're rooting for the best team in the NBA. 

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 02:01:08 AM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
OK streaming thoughts: Celtics, back home, enough adversity where they won't be complacent, their biggest problem is over confidence, they play much better when they are the perceived underdog or things aren't all lined up right in row for them. Pierce playing at an all time high, chances of Gasol and Odom both putting together back to back solid games is low. Perk will find a way to be in there. We've now seen that Doc is actually a good coach, will make some kind of adjustment if Perk can't. Rondo is due for one of those, where did that come from? games and he plays better at home. Garden crowd going to be electric. C's defense has Kobe somewhat contained. The Lakers bench basically disappears in Boston. Look for the C's to get more calls. Game 6 for title 17 being played on 6/17 (thanks to a previous post for that!). If some team has to come back from 3-1 it will be a team with great karma and Kobe, for all his improved citizen awards, just doesn't have it. If he wants it, he needs to pull an Earl and make it list, it might begin with something in Colorado... Red will not allow Jackson to overtake him, the ghosts of Celtics past will be out in full force. Russell will talk to KG before the game and KG will have a monster game. Ray Allen will win it for his kid. And Doc for his dad. OK, I hope that's enough! Otherwise, just think about last year and how much better it is to be here!!! We have 2 games AT HOME to win the title, forget everything else and enjoy!
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 02:05:53 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Uhhh... The Lakers aren't that good? That's reason enough for me.

How about this... I'll even wear my lucky Ray Allen shirt for the game and if I end up going to the game, when we win the 'chip I'll find a camera, jump in front of it and tell you "I told you so."

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 02:19:11 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Here's the best reason to not jump (yet):  They have two games left at home and they only need to win one. 

Also: the only team that's beaten them at home is an experienced Detroit team that plays defense and wins games.  Gasol and Odom aren't going to both show up in back to back games especially on the road.  The young guys (Rondo, Perk, Powe) play better at home.  Kevin Garnett can't actually be as bad as Game 5.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 03:21:03 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I'm quite certain the Celtics know
that now is the time to take care
of business.
Since last summer I've felt that we
were destined to bring home Banner 17.
Yes, DESTINED.
Red is working his hokus pokus from
above and Paul will carry this team
all the way, shining as he does so.

So, relax, VG.
Have a couple of beers, sit back and
just enjoy. It doesn't get any better
than this.

OUR TIME IS NOW!

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 03:35:32 AM »

Offline Celtic_E

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
We hung in there in LA despite losing two of our starters to injuries (Rondo to ankle injury and Perkins to shoulder injury). Heck, we even had a chance to steal them all in LA. The Lakers, on the other hand, looked pretty lucky to survive this long and I don't think they have what it takes to beat us 2 games in our homecourt. If the same injury bug bit the Lakers, I don't think they would still be around for Game 6.

We have the better team and the Lakers know it. Now it's time to show the world what the Celtics are made of. Bring home banner 17. Go Celtics!

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 03:37:35 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 03:48:42 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
There's nothing like winning a Championship in Boston.

C's end it Tue. night.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 04:07:34 AM »

Offline Raindog

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1

I know how you feel, I’m right there with you.

But here’s one good omen.  I, Raindog, no longer live in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Let me explain.  During my lifetime living in MA, the only titles won by a sports team were the Celtics 3 1980’s-era championships.  But I was not a fan then, I was too young.  When I started watching, the Celtics were already in their first real stages of a long decline, with the Original Big Three often hurt and evermore aging.  Plus the Patriots got crushed by the Bears in ‘85 and the Sox had 1986.  (But as that confuses my point, I’ll skip it.)

Then I make plans to move.  Before I can even leave, the Pats win in 2002.  Then once I’m gone, they win twice more.  Then the Sox win their first title in 86 years, and then they win again 3 years later.  A year after that, the Celtics stand one game away from their first title in 22 years!

I currently sit over 1,000 miles away from my home state, with no ability to move back until at least a few more months.

Hey, it’s as good as anything.  Logically, the Lakers play ball like the NBA Finals is some international FIBA tournament.  Guess their European players haven’t got the memo yet.  Either that or playing championship level defense causes cancer and the Celtics haven’t got the memo yet.  That should be enough.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 05:11:34 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Just calm down. Of course LA has a chance, but it would take almost a miracle.
KG will most likely have a much better game.
Rondo should bust out. I love his game, but even I was shocked when he passed up that open layup. Not sure if it's his ankle or his confidence that's hurting him right now, but he needs to work all summer on being more selfish.
Perk will do a "Willis Reed" for inspiration. I guess in his absence, we're learning that he really is a pretty good center.
Big Baby will play 40 minutes- 27 points, 17 rebounds. Just throwing that one in to see if anyone is paying attention :)

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 07:52:59 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Boston is 11-1 at home. 

Lakers blew a record lead in LA

They almost lost an elimination game at home, something a Phil Jackson team almost never does. 

Lakers are teetering on the ledge.  Boston plays like a bulldozer at home. 

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 07:54:09 AM »

Offline wildo05

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
A winner is someone who recognizes his God- given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." - Larry Joe Bird

"Anything is Possible!" - KG

"I'm just surprised he wasn't whining about the foul calls." - Glen "Doc" Rivers (6-11-08)

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 07:55:55 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Boston is 11-1 at home. 

They almost lost an elimination game at home, something a Phil Jackson team almost never does. 

But what about Gasol and Odom?  They look like all-stars with Perk not playing.  I bet they have great confidence now that the Celtics are just as soft in the middle as they are.  I'm sorry, but I'm just not optimistic about this game at all. :(
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 08:01:27 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Boston is 11-1 at home. 

But what about Gasol and Odom?  They look like all-stars with Perk not playing.  I bet they have great confidence now that the Celtics are just as soft in the middle as they are.  I'm sorry, but I'm just not optimistic about this game at all. :(

And despite that, the Celtics almost beat the Lakers in LA in an elimination game. 

I still think if the Celtics start KG on Odom tonight instead of Gasol, he will remove Odom as a threat. 

And then, PJ/Powe/Davis all need to take turns pushing Gasol the best they can.  (Unless Perk plays, then Gasol cann be tossed around)