Author Topic: Roy Hibbert - can the Celtics reach up to low 20's and draft him?  (Read 25217 times)

Re: Roy Hibbert - can the Celtics reach up to low 20's and draft him?
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2008, 02:46:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Gasol is a low- to mid-post player; that's where he's done the vast majority of his scoring in his career, regardless of whether he's been labeled a center or power forward.  Perk did quite well in limiting Gasol's effectiveness during the series.  In the one game where Perk sat out, the Lakers starting big men scored 39 points on 60% shooting, with 24 rebounds.  Perk makes a huge difference to this team.

Gasol is not strong enough to be effective against Perk under the boards where he had to play. Bynam would have allowed him to take a couple of steps away where he is more comfortable and needs tto rely less on strength - I am not saying Perk did not do well I love the guys game but it isn't as great as people seem to think.

Perk held opposing centers to 47% shooting in the season and 41% in the playoffs. He's a much better defender than you're giving him credit for. He did a fine job on Bynum (when KG was guarding Odom) ad I doubt Hibbert would present a great challenge for him.

As for Hibbert, he's shown very little improvement over the last 2 years. I don't think that's a good sign.

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2008, 02:52:26 PM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
no I am saying you play what is in front of you and your game rises and dips based on the level of the competition. Only the most professional borderline insanely comepetitive people like KG play at a consistantly high level.

You do this until you find you maximum level. We probaby know what Perks is but we don't yet know what Hibberts is.

Perk has also had NBA experience, has been playing as a full time pro since high school and has benefitted from working with Clifford Ray and KG. He is now a proven solid NBA centre.

I am just saying that given the chance and with the dame exposure Hibbert has tools to potentially be better and is worth trading a few places up for. The Cs wouldn't lose to much.

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Hibbert seems like a guy that needs his spot on offense to score.   A player like Perkins can knock him from the spot making it hard to score.

I would not want the Celtics to trade up for him.   Now if somehow he is sitting there, draft him.  

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2008, 05:35:23 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
The only way we can move up is to trade Pruitt, BBD, or Powe with the #30 pick. I dont like the idea of trading any of those guys. I think its best to draft for value. Any position but PF.

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2008, 05:52:48 PM »

Offline carlherrera

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
We would be extremely lucky to get Hibbert at #30 and would definitely move down to draft him. I think our biggest challenge next year (assuming we play LA again) will be to have a big man that can play against Bynum. Unfortunately, Perkins can't play all 48 minutes and our other players are undersized. We need a center and Hibbert would make an excellent back up.

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2008, 05:59:36 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Roy Hibbert is going to be a total bust. He is really SOFT from what I saw of him. He is not an above average defensive or offensive player to me and I don't see much of any potential in the guy besides being 7ft+.

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2008, 06:05:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Hibbert's lack of lateral quickness makes him an awful fit (not just bad, awful fit) for the defensive scheme the Celtics use so I'd pass on him.

That said, I like Hibbert and think he can be successful in this league on another team.

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2008, 03:03:50 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Hibbert's lack of lateral quickness makes him an awful fit (not just bad, awful fit) for the defensive scheme the Celtics use so I'd pass on him.

This is my biggest problem with him.

I also think he is going to have a lot of trouble on offense as well though.  I think he is going to have a lot of trouble scoring in the post in the NBA.  He has OK footwork, but not great, and he does not have the quickness to get his shot off in tight defense.  Basically, in college, he shot over guys.  He won't be able to do that against alot of guys in the NBA.  So I think his only real offense will be from 15 foot jumpers...and I don't think that is enough to make up for his lack of defense.

Oh yeah, and he is a terrible rebounder for a guy his size.

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2008, 08:25:36 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I would certainly not try to move down to get Hibbert.  But I would seriously consider him if he is available at #30.  If Marc Spears is to be believed, he may be.

But it also depends on who else is available.  I would certainly take Alexis Ajinca or Bill Walker ahead of Hibbert.

If the Celtics are willing to relinquish assets to move up into the low 20's, the player they should be targeting is Marreese Speights.

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2008, 12:18:18 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

This is my biggest problem with him.

I also think he is going to have a lot of trouble on offense as well though.  I think he is going to have a lot of trouble scoring in the post in the NBA.  He has OK footwork, but not great, and he does not have the quickness to get his shot off in tight defense.  Basically, in college, he shot over guys.  He won't be able to do that against alot of guys in the NBA.  So I think his only real offense will be from 15 foot jumpers...and I don't think that is enough to make up for his lack of defense.

Oh yeah, and he is a terrible rebounder for a guy his size.

Yeah, his lack of lateral quickness is also my biggest problem with Hibbert. I've said in my first post in this thread that I don't like him, but I didn't care to explain why; because I don't think we have a chance of getting him. Nevertheless,the reason is basically that he'd be a terrible fit for our kind of defense - we need bigs mobile enough to show up at the perimeter, defend the P'n'R and quick enough to not be trapped with screen/rolls plays. But I wouldn't say he is a terrible defender per si: in the right system and playing limited minutes along a versatile defensive big man, allowing him to get the better matchups, he can be a passable defender and a good shot-blocker from the weakside.

He's a very good high post player, way better than a lot of current NBA players and even if he lacks explosiveness, he has enough offensive moves in the post. It's hard to say how good he is in that department because of that offense they play in Georgetown (unfortunately for him, it's not a very popular system in the NBA).

Chris, I agree with you that his rebounding should be better. But I believe we should consider that:
- in the offensive side, he plays too far away from the basket (because that's what the system demands - though I'm not saying he'll be good in another one).
- in the defensive side, they prioritize boxing out, something that makes big men look bad in rebounding. From my own experience, it's easier to teach players to pursuit the ball and go for rebounds, if that's what you want them to do, than to be reliable in boxing out. On the other hand, if they don't have the aggressiveness and the "noise" for the ball, there's nothing that can be done, and maybe that's case with Hibbert. Hard to tell.

Having seen lots of games of him in the season before the last, I believe Hibbert is being underrated in this thread and that he is not a complete stiff. If I had to guess, I'd say he'll have a long and solid career as a backup/bellow average starter in the NBA. If not, he'll be a fantastic player in Europe, with zones hiding his lack of lateral quickness. If I was drafting for a European team, he'd probably be my 5th pick, after Beasley, Rose, Love and Pekovic.

I'm much more worried about guys like Koufos (a complete stiff, lacking both athleticism and skills) or Jordan (a fundamental mess, who'll need to have his game rebuilt from the very beginning - something that demands the right environment, lots of heart and hard work from the player and that basic innate feel for the game - three things that only rarely happen simultaneously).

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2008, 12:22:59 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
The sad story about Hibbert is that he lost millions by staying in college and getting "exposed".  Hibbert's example is why so many kids come out early.  It's a shame, in a perfect world Hibbert would be being talked about with Rose and Beasley and praised for staying in school.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2008, 12:26:50 PM »

Offline grayjonv

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Which one of our competitors would you want Hibebrt to go to? If they Celtics don;t get him I don;t want them to have to face him.

Most mocks show Hibbert going to Utah, but have also seen him going even to Detroit in one.  His potential there  would frighten me.

I would not mind nearly as much if Hibbert goes to the West coast.  A few mocks have him going to Houston or Memphis.  

I would rather Hibbert be a bust in Boston than to shine elsewhere and have to compete against his realized potential for 10+ years.  Worth the gamble at #30 or a slight trade up.  

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2008, 12:29:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The sad story about Hibbert is that he lost millions by staying in college and getting "exposed".  Hibbert's example is why so many kids come out early.  It's a shame, in a perfect world Hibbert would be being talked about with Rose and Beasley and praised for staying in school.
Short term it loses him money but long term it could still make him more. Hibbert is still certain he made the right call a year ago and that he wasn't ready to play in the NBA. His contract after his rookie deal (only first two years guaranteed which is also important if he's struggling) is likely to be the big contract (or one of two big contracts) in his career.

"Sometimes people like to tell me I would have gone higher last year, but I don't think I was mentally or physically ready to go last year," Hibbert said Thursday after working out for the Indiana Pacers. "Obviously my stock was a lot higher last year after that Ohio State game. I feel like this year I'm more ready for the endeavors and the rigors of the NBA season."

Then again maybe he's just trying to save face ....

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2008, 12:36:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Which one of our competitors would you want Hibebrt to go to? If they Celtics don;t get him I don;t want them to have to face him.

Most mocks show Hibbert going to Utah, but have also seen him going even to Detroit in one.  His potential there  would frighten me.

I would not mind nearly as much if Hibbert goes to the West coast.  A few mocks have him going to Houston or Memphis. 

I would rather Hibbert be a bust in Boston than to shine elsewhere and have to compete against his realized potential for 10+ years.  Worth the gamble at #30 or a slight trade up. 

I would have no fear at all facing Hibbert.  Regardless of how good he ends up being, we have one of the best low post defenders in the league in Perkins, would would match up incredibly well against Hibbert.

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2008, 12:45:22 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I think it would be worth packaging this and next year's #1 picks for a potential center in Roy Hibbert.
The mocks show Hibbert going to Utah in the low 20's.

I was hoping the Celtics could have gotten Hibbert last year with the #5 if he did not go back to school.

Hopefully, KG could light a fire under him.
Hibbert to be better than Perkins. Played well against Oden.

oh wow grayjonv, you started this thread too...its official, its a mancrush

When you love life, life loves you right back