Author Topic: Roy Hibbert - can the Celtics reach up to low 20's and draft him?  (Read 25213 times)

Re: Roy Hibbert - can the Celtics reach up to low 20's and draft him?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2008, 09:55:41 PM »

Offline bostonsportsfan

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 9
I think it would be worth packaging this and next year's #1 picks for a potential center in Roy Hibbert.
The mocks show Hibbert going to Utah in the low 20's.

I was hoping the Celtics could have gotten Hibbert last year with the #5 if he did not go back to school.

Hopefully, KG could light a fire under him.
Hibbert to be better than Perkins. Played well against Oden.

I agree 100% my sentiments exactly im going to give you a TP I wont trade the farm to get this guy but if someone will take a guy like scal off our hand or someone else that wont be 2 painful 2 lose but i dont see how you can pass up a 7 footer that was would have been #1 on my wish list for the 5th pick had he come out last year and we didnt make the ray allen deal. and we can trade someone like a scal, cassell, Pollard Tony Allen maybe even bbd or pruitt along with the 30th pick to go grab this guy. If he turns out to be a stiff which is unlikely with ray and hopefully tibbadeau comming back we just stick him at the end of the bench and take that 1 lump. We still have our core which we didnt mess with. I dont see anything wrong with this idea at all

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 01:15:02 PM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
The people who are dissing Hibbert are like the ones who thought Cassell, Pollard and Scalabrine would be decent for the Cs.

I doubt that Perk could guard Hibbert on account of his strength, height and post moves. Perk would be in foul trouble in no time at all. Perk had a decent playoffs but what if Bynam had been healthy? Perk is quite honestly an slightly short slightly limited back up centre playing with 3 All Stars and benefitting from that. You don't need a great centre with this line up just a decent one.

The truth of the matter is that the C's need a big man and Hibbert is the guy who is close enough for the Cs to trade up for without losing too much. He will bring in rebounds, blocking and decent post moves to compliment KGs propensity for playing away from the hoop.

I would hate to see another Powe/Davis sized undersized but ok guy on the roster or another 2 or 3 which are a dime a dozen.

I'd give up BBD or Powe for a decent centre - you only need one of the 2

Get Hibbert, re-sign Posey, find another more half court orientated PG with a jumper to compliment Rondo and Pruitt and the C's have balance and a future beyond the big 3

or and get Gerald Gmoney Green back or the highlight reel.

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2008, 01:21:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I doubt that Perk could guard Hibbert on account of his strength, height and post moves. Perk would be in foul trouble in no time at all. Perk had a decent playoffs but what if Bynam had been healthy?

Whoa whoa whoa whoa...  Perk contained Pau Gasol, who is a *much* more skilled player than Hibbert.  Also, Perk outplayed Bynum in both games they played against each other this season, and played very good defense all year long. 

Also, what makes you think that Hibbert will improve our rebounding?  I'm okay with drafting Hibbert, but his rebounding numbers in college were always pretty poor.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2008, 01:30:51 PM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
Wouldn't rush to sound off about Perk on Gasol without Bynam on the floor - Gasol had to play in an area not really suited to his game and still did pretty well. Also the Perk v Bynam games were before the Gasol trade which means Bynam was paying against KG and Perk with little help - quite clearly outmatched - the dynamic changes completely

Hibbert also got about 7 rebounds a game in 3 seasons on about 25 minutes playing time - that's not to be frowned upon ad to that 2 blocks per game.

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2008, 01:37:07 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Remember this guys,  1st round draft picks are slotted salary wise and are guaranteed money, meaning if we move up, it will give us less money to use in the off-season which I believe is more important for this team.  To be honest, I think you may see Ainge basically sell this pick, and if not, I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if he moved up in the draft.
do it

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2008, 01:37:36 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
I know we will trade up, using our #30 and something else or two early seconds we get for #30 and something else, in other words: We will "buy a pick". But I don't think we'll use it for Hibbert. But if Danny does, I know Hibbert will help.

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2008, 01:43:38 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
I doubt that Perk could guard Hibbert on account of his strength, height and post moves. Perk would be in foul trouble in no time at all. Perk had a decent playoffs but what if Bynam had been healthy?

Whoa whoa whoa whoa...  Perk contained Pau Gasol, who is a *much* more skilled player than Hibbert.  Also, Perk outplayed Bynum in both games they played against each other this season, and played very good defense all year long. 

Also, what makes you think that Hibbert will improve our rebounding?  I'm okay with drafting Hibbert, but his rebounding numbers in college were always pretty poor.

No they weren't.

Per 40 minutes, Brook Lopez grabbed 10.6 rebounds per game. He is considered the best center prospect in this draft, and rebounding is talked about as a strength of his.

Per 40, Hibbert grabbed 9.7 rebounds per game to go along with 3.3 blocks. He won't play 40 minutes per game, nor could he, but the point is that he is minute-for-minute just as statistically productive as most of the top rated centers in the draft.

In addition, he's more polished and fundamentally sound than all of them, more NBA-ready than most of them, and by far the best passing center in this class.

As a Georgetown fan, I had to defend the big fella. ;D
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2008, 01:47:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Wouldn't rush to sound off about Perk on Gasol without Bynam on the floor - Gasol had to play in an area not really suited to his game and still did pretty well. Also the Perk v Bynam games were before the Gasol trade which means Bynam was paying against KG and Perk with little help - quite clearly outmatched - the dynamic changes completely

Gasol is a low- to mid-post player; that's where he's done the vast majority of his scoring in his career, regardless of whether he's been labeled a center or power forward.  Perk did quite well in limiting Gasol's effectiveness during the series.  In the one game where Perk sat out, the Lakers starting big men scored 39 points on 60% shooting, with 24 rebounds.  Perk makes a huge difference to this team.

Hibbert also got about 7 rebounds a game in 3 seasons on about 25 minutes playing time - that's not to be frowned upon ad to that 2 blocks per game.

Hibbert averaged 8.76 rebounds per 36 minutes against college kids, when he was the tallest guy on the court.

Perk averaged 8.96 rebounds per 36 minutes against professionals, when he was competing for rebounds with KG.

If we substitute Hibbert for Perk, our rebounding and defense would be poorer.  Again, I'm not saying don't draft the kid, but I wouldn't expect too much.

I don't get it.  Perk was just the starting center on a championship team, and he was a key element to our defense.  He held opposing centers to 41% shooting in the playoffs, and had a positive differential on the boards, as well.  Why do people continue to doubt him?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2008, 01:53:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Roy is very skilled with lots of upside but only on the right team.  I think this is the right kind of team for him.  He's not very tough, but banging with KG, Baby, Powe, and in particular Perk in practice will toughen him right up and allow him to grow and become the player he was meant to be in the right environment.  But I agree with Roy, Perk would bully Hibbert right now.

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2008, 01:57:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Remember this guys,  1st round draft picks are slotted salary wise and are guaranteed money, meaning if we move up, it will give us less money to use in the off-season which I believe is more important for this team.  To be honest, I think you may see Ainge basically sell this pick, and if not, I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if he moved up in the draft.

Nope, it doesn't work quite that way, unless for some reason we dip into the MLE to give him some sort of contract. The team has the ability to sign any rookie without affecting their chances on using their exceptions on other players.

The only thing that it should affect is the owner's willingness to spend, but that's out of our hands and it's completely up to them if they spend or not.

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2008, 01:58:47 PM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
Gasol is a low- to mid-post player; that's where he's done the vast majority of his scoring in his career, regardless of whether he's been labeled a center or power forward.  Perk did quite well in limiting Gasol's effectiveness during the series.  In the one game where Perk sat out, the Lakers starting big men scored 39 points on 60% shooting, with 24 rebounds.  Perk makes a huge difference to this team.

Gasol is not strong enough to be effective against Perk under the boards where he had to play. Bynam would have allowed him to take a couple of steps away where he is more comfortable and needs tto rely less on strength - I am not saying Perk did not do well I love the guys game but it isn't as great as people seem to think.

Hibbert averaged 8.76 rebounds per 36 minutes against college kids, when he was the tallest guy on the court.

Perk averaged 8.96 rebounds per 36 minutes against professionals, when he was competing for rebounds with KG.

If we substitute Hibbert for Perk, our rebounding and defense would be poorer.  Again, I'm not saying don't draft the kid, but I wouldn't expect too much.

I don't get it.  Perk was just the starting center on a championship team, and he was a key element to our defense.  He held opposing centers to 41% shooting in the playoffs, and had a positive differential on the boards, as well.  Why do people continue to doubt him?
[/quote]

You play what is in front of you - you can't blame Hibbert for that. I also did not say that substituting Perk would make the D however Perk was on the same team with rubbish D last season and just ended up in foul trouble all the time. I can't speak or anyone else but I do not doubt Perk. I think he needs help and that there may be better options out there inclluding possibly Hibbert. To be fair most of the centres in the NBA would have done as well as Perk did on this team.

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2008, 02:23:37 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Not worth it considering Perk is coming on as one of the top defensive big men in the game...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2008, 02:29:52 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Gasol is not strong enough to be effective against Perk under the boards where he had to play. Bynam would have allowed him to take a couple of steps away where he is more comfortable and needs tto rely less on strength - I am not saying Perk did not do well I love the guys game but it isn't as great as people seem to think.

You play what is in front of you - you can't blame Hibbert for that. I also did not say that substituting Perk would make the D however Perk was on the same team with rubbish D last season and just ended up in foul trouble all the time. I can't speak or anyone else but I do not doubt Perk. I think he needs help and that there may be better options out there inclluding possibly Hibbert. To be fair most of the centres in the NBA would have done as well as Perk did on this team.
[/quote]

Perk destroyed Bynum this year.

The only guy I saw constantly give Perk a problem was Big Z because of his ability to shoot over everyone. 

Perk would keep Hibert from getting to his spot on offense and keep him off the glass. 

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2008, 02:41:43 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
He could even fall to number 30. I wouldn't trade up to draft him, though. Rather have Leon Powe over him.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2008, 02:43:23 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Perk destroyed Bynum this year.

The only guy I saw constantly give Perk a problem was Big Z because of his ability to shoot over everyone. 

Perk would keep Hibert from getting to his spot on offense and keep him off the glass. 
[/quote]

Are you saying that if Hibbert were playing against junior high players then he should have averaged 5 pts a game? That a player should be excused for playing down to his competition?! One of two things is a fact. Either he isn't skilled enough to play better against the college talent, or he plays down to his competition. Either way that doesn't result in a positive thing.