Author Topic: Roy Hibbert - can the Celtics reach up to low 20's and draft him?  (Read 25297 times)

Re: Roy Hibbert - can the Celtics reach up to low 20's and draft him?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 09:05:25 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
I'd rather get Hasheem Thabeet if we were to draft a tall center
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 09:13:28 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Besides the concerns that people have mentioned, one of my biggest problems is the fact that he can't play lots of minutes at all.  When he plays well, Perk can give you 30-35 or even more - it's performance and foul trouble that limits his time on the court, not endurance.  Hibbert, not so much.

I think Perkins is still the center of the next several years.  He still young and learning, and he's already established himself as a very good (and underrated around the league) defensive center.  The pick would serve much better going to somebody else.

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 09:14:28 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Hibbert is a little stiff, lacks lateral quickness, and his college stats sort of plateaued, leaving a lot of people to question how much upside he really has.  That being said, I don't think he's a sure-fire bust.

He's got better post moves than most centers, especially centers his size.  He has a decent stroke from the outside.  He's a good passer.  He has pretty good instincts defensively.  I do agree with the assessment that he's probably going to be a career backup, but I think he can be a fairly good backup. 

He reminds me of Kevin Duckworth.

Ooh 00 for the Bullets..I just remember having his card and thinking it was cool his last name was sort of like Ducktales...
When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: Roy Hibbert - rather take a shot at an immediate position of need
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 10:26:55 AM »

Offline grayjonv

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Hibbert could at least have the potential to contribute in a position of need since Parrish left town.

Big Baby & Powe might be our PF's of the future.
Rando the PG.

The Celtics then need to focus on finding replacements for Ray Allen and Pierce in the next few years.

Otherwise, would be nice to have a future shooter off the bench and groomed to replace Pierce, but unlikely to find that impact player in the late first round.

Re: Roy Hibbert - rather take a shot at an immediate position of need
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 11:07:25 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Hibbert could at least have the potential to contribute in a position of need since Parrish left town.

Big Baby & Powe might be our PF's of the future.
Rando the PG.

The Celtics then need to focus on finding replacements for Ray Allen and Pierce in the next few years.

Otherwise, would be nice to have a future shooter off the bench and groomed to replace Pierce, but unlikely to find that impact player in the late first round.

And u can always call Gerald Back
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 11:39:31 AM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
If they were to move up I would rather take Robin Lopez from Stanford. The kid is a defensive beast and a great offensive rebounder. His offensive game is still developing but he could play now.

Hibbert
http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/royhibbert.html

Lopez
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/robinlopez.html
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 02:15:45 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
I really like hibbert. If he could somehow shed 10 more pounds he is equivilant the shaq you see today. Which is not that amazing but hibbert has more offensive skills that doesn't involved just dunking and overpowering people

He also doesn't really fit with the celtics defensive system quick uses quickness. However like yesterday when we didn't have perkins he would have been huge making gasol stay away from the post

utah won't let him slip.

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 02:24:40 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I really like hibbert. If he could somehow shed 10 more pounds he is equivilant the shaq you see today. Which is not that amazing but hibbert has more offensive skills that doesn't involved just dunking and overpowering people

He also doesn't really fit with the celtics defensive system quick uses quickness. However like yesterday when we didn't have perkins he would have been huge making gasol stay away from the post

utah won't let him slip.

Yeah. Just like Shaq, except for the fact that he also lacks Shaq's freakish athleticism for a big man and unbelievable hops for a 7'2" 320 pound player. Other than that those 10 extra pounds are the only thing different in their games...

Please!

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 02:09:41 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
If we got Hibbert to be Perks backup for the next 3-4 years I'd be pretty happy with that. There aren't a lot of big men with his skillset so he could be a special player. I've heard he has done well in workouts and if he can get his body ready to play in the NBA then he can contribute. I don't expect him to be a star but I think he'll be a solid center in the League.

I dont see Danny making any moves to move up in the draft. We dont have a lot of trade material and/or value to exchange. The only way Hibbert ends up here is if he slips to us at 30. The same could probably be said for Robin Lopez. He is another player I would like to see us acquire.

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 02:28:05 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I have argued for Hibbert in the "draft" section for a while. Basically, give that WE JUST WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP (sorry, all capitals was hard to resist) I think we should really focus on signing the players we have.

Trading up would mean making changes when we have just proven no changes need be made.  If Hibbert fell to 30 - drafting him would make sense.  But trading up would be a waste.

He has some real upside as an offensive minded back-up - especially on a defensive minded team. But there's no sense in going to the effort to acquire him when, clearly, we already have THE BEST TEAM IN PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL!!!!!!

(I can't help myself with the caps.)

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 03:11:06 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Youth, athleticism, length and potential (defense-wise) are Roy Hibbert's upside. Seven feet and 2 inches, black guy and with quickness in the NBA is  really, really rare to find these years.

I just saw his name drop to the mid-20's in the latest Mock Draft. Earlier he's projected to be picked up by Seattle but for reasons I don't know yet, he slid. He'll be picked up by, hold your breath, San Antonio.  Of course it's just a mock draft but it might turn out to be true.

Remember that LAL will have Bynum (7 footer) next year.  If he plays alongside Gasol(7 footer) and Odom (6'11")  their frontline will be awesome and probably close to being unmatched. I will feel more secured if we snatch Rasheed Wallace in the offseason and add Hibbert from the draft in our lineup. Also, pickup Gerald Green and let him undergo some tutoring from Ray Allen.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 02:22:49 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Youth, athleticism, length and potential (defense-wise) are Roy Hibbert's upside

You can't be serious about the athleticism part.  Have you ever watched him play?  He can't jump, he's stiff, and I'm pretty sure Dick Bavetta could beat him in a race if Dick hopped on one foot.

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Athleticism is Hibberts biggest weakness. He will struggle against quicker bigs but he should have a size advantage on almost anyone on the floor.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Meh...

Roy Hobbs > Roy Hibbert
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I wouldn't take him at 30; maybe in the 2nd round, but certainly not worth a 1st round pick IMHO.

He was overrated in past season(s) because of Georgetown's success, which did have to do with him. However, the publicity he got lives not up, but down to what kind of player he actually will be in the NBA. He's not fast, and he is not athletic. Therefore, I see him as at his peak as a good, solid backup center. However, he may need several years to become that man, so why waste a pick?