Author Topic: Roy Hibbert - can the Celtics reach up to low 20's and draft him?  (Read 25329 times)

Offline grayjonv

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think it would be worth packaging this and next year's #1 picks for a potential center in Roy Hibbert.
The mocks show Hibbert going to Utah in the low 20's.

I was hoping the Celtics could have gotten Hibbert last year with the #5 if he did not go back to school.

Hopefully, KG could light a fire under him.
Hibbert to be better than Perkins. Played well against Oden.

Re: Roy Hibbert - can the Celtics reach up to low 20's and draft him?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 07:22:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
They probably could...they shouldn't though. 

Hibbert does not have much of a future in the NBA.  He is lacking athleticism, and is not skilled enough to make up for it.  He will likely be a bust, and will be a career backup at best.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:24:24 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
We don't have a 1st round pick next year.

Personally, I don't like Hibbert, but I mostly saw him last year, because of Jeff Green.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 07:27:57 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
We can probably get a better player at 30.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 07:32:46 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Not worth 2 first rounders. Don't think he's worth one.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 07:36:30 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
why?  He's a fat stiff.  Not worth it.

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:38:40 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
rather draft a guy who can create his own shot

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 07:48:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
trade up to get brandon rush, not roy hibbert. Perk has proven his value as our center.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 07:49:31 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
He won't make it to 20.  I must have missed the fat part.

Hibbert does not have much of a future in the NBA.  He is lacking athleticism, and is not skilled enough to make up for it.  He will likely be a bust, and will be a career backup at best.

He's 7-2 and at least as athletic as Perk.  If he goes on Perk's conditioning program he'll be far from a bust.  He's got at least as much upside as Perk did when he got drafted.  He also played Oden as tough as anybody did.  

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 07:58:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Hibbert is a little stiff, lacks lateral quickness, and his college stats sort of plateaued, leaving a lot of people to question how much upside he really has.  That being said, I don't think he's a sure-fire bust.

He's got better post moves than most centers, especially centers his size.  He has a decent stroke from the outside.  He's a good passer.  He has pretty good instincts defensively.  I do agree with the assessment that he's probably going to be a career backup, but I think he can be a fairly good backup. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Hibbert is a little stiff, lacks lateral quickness, and his college stats sort of plateaued, leaving a lot of people to question how much upside he really has.  That being said, I don't think he's a sure-fire bust.

He's got better post moves than most centers, especially centers his size.  He has a decent stroke from the outside.  He's a good passer.  He has pretty good instincts defensively.  I do agree with the assessment that he's probably going to be a career backup, but I think he can be a fairly good backup. 

He reminds me of Kevin Duckworth.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 08:11:38 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
He won't make it to 20.  I must have missed the fat part.

He's 7-2 and at least as athletic as Perk.  If he goes on Perk's conditioning program he'll be far from a bust.  He's got at least as much upside as Perk did when he got drafted.  He also played Oden as tough as anybody did.   

nowhere near the upside of Perk.  There's a huge difference between coming out of HS and coming off of 4 years of college.  What you see right now with Hibbert is pretty much what you get.  He's got very little room to grow and his stats trend through college is not a good thing.

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 08:44:28 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
If he had come out last year, he probably was a lottery pick.  Now he is coming off as fool's gold even in the mid 20's.  One of two things are going to turn out to be true (and I don't know which).  Either 2 seasons ago, he had an uncharacteristically good year and he really is a stiff or last year he was uncharacteristically bad and he actually is good and is going to pleasantly surprise someone.

I would take a chance in the 20's that it is the latter.  There just aren't that many big guys that come along.  I think he could outplay PJ Brown right now so if he was on the team, he would probably be playing to take up Perk minutes and helping the team.  I think he could cover Gasol or Turiaf just fine and would hit a few shots.

But I could be wrong, drafting is a crapshoot anyway.

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 08:51:30 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Hibbert is an example of a kid who stayed a year too long in college. He was probably a top ten pick last year.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If he had come out last year, he probably was a lottery pick.  Now he is coming off as fool's gold even in the mid 20's.  One of two things are going to turn out to be true (and I don't know which).  Either 2 seasons ago, he had an uncharacteristically good year and he really is a stiff or last year he was uncharacteristically bad and he actually is good and is going to pleasantly surprise someone.

I would take a chance in the 20's that it is the latter.  There just aren't that many big guys that come along.  I think he could outplay PJ Brown right now so if he was on the team, he would probably be playing to take up Perk minutes and helping the team.  I think he could cover Gasol or Turiaf just fine and would hit a few shots.

But I could be wrong, drafting is a crapshoot anyway.

With the defensive system the C's have, and the way the league has gone in the last couple of years in general, I would much rather take a chance on an athletic big man who is slightly less skilled than an unathletic one who is has slightly better than average (and I am not even sure about that) skills like Hibbert.