Author Topic: Kobe / Wife / Kids / Halftime  (Read 11842 times)

Re: Kobe / Wife / Kids / Halftime
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
I personally am getting tired of all this Kobe for husband and father of the year stuff.   He is a jerk and I don't buy it for a moment that he didn't rape that girl in Colorado and I don't doubt it for a minute that he is still stepping out on his wife.   But the NBA has to revamp his image since he is the MVP.   

taking it too far imo. It's not like he bought her off.. it went to trial and she lost.  Calling someone a rapist is not something people should throw around lightly, nor let the color of someone's jersey influence that decision.
Didn't he settle out of court and then apologized to her? If that's the case then he did something wrong or he'd NEVER had apologized and made it go away as fast as he could. And regardless of his guilt he's still a horrible husband and I don't want to see him put on tv as anything that he's not. Just show the guy play ball and leave it at that. I don't buy the good husband stuff.

Putting Kobe as a great husband is like making Jason Kid a worker at a female abuse center.

never said he was a great husband, or a good guy for that matter.  I just don't like throwing the word 'rapist' around. 

Comparing Kobe's rape case to O.J.'s murder trial is absurd. 

And hate to break it to you, not a lot of NBA guys are great husbands.  You think Kobe is the first adulterer in the NBA? c'mon now.

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 07:32:04 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
I personally am getting tired of all this Kobe for husband and father of the year stuff.   He is a jerk and I don't buy it for a moment that he didn't rape that girl in Colorado and I don't doubt it for a minute that he is still stepping out on his wife.   But the NBA has to revamp his image since he is the MVP.   

taking it too far imo. It's not like he bought her off.. it went to trial and she lost.

That's completely wrong.  It did *not* go to trial, and Kobe *did* pay her a monetary settlement (as well as gave an apology and stipulated that there was probable cause to charge him). 

Yes I realize I was wrong there.  The case was dismissed at the request of the accuser. 

My point is, the word "rapist" is very heavy to be throwing around. 

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 07:44:06 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Wow, the whole Kobe thing with his wife and kids is a joke....... it's like Charles Barkley teaching young kids not to gamble..... or Mutombo getting carded ........ or Allen Iverson saying tattoos are bad....... or Gasol winning a tough guy contest........ or Big Baby being a spokesperson for weight watchers

Blah Blah Blah.  Yadda Yadda Yadda.  Dumb and cliche'ish.

Frontierboy, I hope when you become a man you never make a mistake.  If you fail at something and it causes you to cease to have a heart...If you have one now....I feel sorry for you.  The guy is human.    

They guy kissed his children, for heaven's sake.  What the hell did you expect him to do?  

The people who are lambasting Kobe for doing what any proud dad would do came to Paul's defense in game one when the press called what happened to him "scripted".  He and the Celtics' staff did the instinctive thing and took every precaution when he got hurt.  I have no problem with what they did. Although it sure looked strange to see Paul skipping out of the locker room minutes later.  Scripted?  Perhaps.  Was Kobe's thing scripted?  Perhaps.  Why does that matter to anybody?

Get off the guy's back.          

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 08:51:02 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If you are looking for role models in professional sports you are going to have to sort through about 50%+ crap. (probably being generous!) I'm not sure that I blame these guys too much because society has told them their whole life they are better than everyone else because they can play a sport. Their entire world is wrapped around them being superior and no one ever tells them the truth or no to anything. The sad part is that there are really good guys out there that are lumped in with the bad. It's much safer to go by the ideal that they are athletes. Nothing more than that. I don't care what they think politically. I don't care what they do with their time as long as it isn't criminal or publicly immoral. When I have to start screening the news about these guys from my kids then it is a sad state of affairs. It won't be too much longer before we just have to wipe the slate clean. Outrageous money has wrecked everything. It causes "scouting" of elementary age kids by the junior highs, JH kids by the high schools and so on. They never had a chance.

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 11:57:15 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

taking it too far imo. It's not like he bought her off.. it went to trial and she lost.  Calling someone a rapist is not something people should throw around lightly, nor let the color of someone's jersey influence that decision.
Didn't he settle out of court and then apologized to her? If that's the case then he did something wrong or he'd NEVER had apologized and made it go away as fast as he could. And regardless of his guilt he's still a horrible husband and I don't want to see him put on tv as anything that he's not. Just show the guy play ball and leave it at that. I don't buy the good husband stuff.

Putting Kobe as a great husband is like making Jason Kid a worker at a female abuse center.

never said he was a great husband, or a good guy for that matter.  I just don't like throwing the word 'rapist' around. 

Comparing Kobe's rape case to O.J.'s murder trial is absurd. 

And hate to break it to you, not a lot of NBA guys are great husbands.  You think Kobe is the first adulterer in the NBA? c'mon now.
Go back a few post and read what Roy Hobbs posted. To me it's close enough for me to wounder about the guy.
And I've seen interviews with him on tv with his family making himself out to be a great guy. Great guys don't
do what he did to his wife.

Is he evil? I don't know.
Should I have to see him act like Wounder Husband on my tv? No
You got away with it Kobe. Don't try and make me think you're something that you aren't.

What makes me mad is that people don't care that he could have done it. It's ok because he can't put a ball into a basket and make people cheer.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 01:34:55 AM »

Offline pslakerfan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • Beware the beast in '09....Andrew Bynum
One game from winning the NBA finals and this is what you guys are talking about?  Pathetic, really pathetic.  I would expect better from real NBA fans. 

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 02:35:56 AM »

Offline Cooldude5t5

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 36
Well Sunday was Father's Day so it had something to do with that. This is a non-issue, Eddie House's son is on the bench every game interacting with his father. Why dies this even matter?

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 03:24:26 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Kobe is full of crap, I think most of the world realizes that, but I can't fault anyone for trying to be an involved dad, whether his motivations are pure or hypocritical, as long as his kids aren't affected negatively. I think we give this guy way too much attention, myself included, and one of the great things about winning this championship will be not having to look at his arrogant mug any more this season, (hopefully).

The things that really get to me are his comments about being a "team" player and "wanting to reward" his team-mates as an excuse for not scoring as much in this series. Give me a break .... he's just plain been shut down by a better defensive player and team, and has trouble comprehending anyone making him look less than perfect. We all heard his comments at the beginning of the season, (which most Laker fans have completely purged in favor of winning at all costs), and he made it quite clear at that time what his priorities in life were. I honestly can't believe that all of his team-mates have forgotten, and that it would have no affect on their chemistry on the floor.

I guess my main point here is that we have far more than just a better team and better defense ... we also have a true bonding of our players on a higher level of respect, cohesiveness, understanding, affection, chemistry, and brotherhood ... and those are things that Kobe and the Lakers will never be able to attain or manufacture, no matter how much he pretends to be "Mr. Together" and the "Ultimate Family Man" and the "Super-Hero" who's willing to sacrifice everything for the sake of his team. It's all an act, and even the most die-hard Laker fan knows that deep-down.

Acts always come to an end, and sooner or later his true colors will be clearly visible again ... I just hope that next time he doesn't do as much collateral damage as he has in the past.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm sure Kobe is a great dad and loves his kids. But that's all I'll say nice about him.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 04:09:36 PM »

Offline carlherrera

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
i'm sure there are other players in the lakers' team that are actually great parents. why chose kobe who is an adulterer and made his family go through so much pain? I think the league is trying to clean his image but they are coming off as hypocritical which defeats the purpose in the first place.