Author Topic: Kobe / Wife / Kids / Halftime  (Read 11913 times)

Kobe / Wife / Kids / Halftime
« on: June 16, 2008, 04:17:43 PM »

Offline shahpound

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
After Kobe's halftime inteview, before he returned to the lockeroom, he saw his wife and kids in the runway and said hello (all on national TV). I know we have bigger fish to fry right now, but my question is:

Has anyone ever seen a professional athelete in any sport (Golf, Boxing, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Football, Soccer, Tennis, etc.) kiss/hug/interact with his family during a game or match? I was floored.

It was obviously staged by the NBA's "Kobe is a good guy" PR machine, but it was still pretty unusual.

Re: Kobe / Wife / Kids / Halftime
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 04:22:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Well, Doug Christie used to give his wife piggy-back rides to the ladies room each and every halftime, and stand outside the door blowing her kisses until she got back.  But that was probably mostly self-defense on his part, and otherwise I'm drawing a blank.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 04:30:14 PM »

Offline EnP24

• Kristaps Porzingis
I found this whole course of events to be very odd especially after he got that cheerleader fired after having inappropriate relations with her.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 04:31:43 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Eddie & Jalen House?
Yup

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 04:37:42 PM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
Yeah, I completely agree. It's such BS PR junk to make people like him again. I'm not buying it for a second.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 04:37:45 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I personally am getting tired of all this Kobe for husband and father of the year stuff.   He is a jerk and I don't buy it for a moment that he didn't rape that girl in Colorado and I don't doubt it for a minute that he is still stepping out on his wife.   But the NBA has to revamp his image since he is the MVP.   

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »

Offline TruthSerum

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
It is beneath the integrity of the Celtics to deride or question the off-court character/activity of an opposing player or team in the context of this forum.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »

Offline EnP24

• Kristaps Porzingis
It is beneath the integrity of the Celtics to deride or question the off-court character/activity of an opposing player or team in the context of this forum.

It's just unnecessary and so "over the top" that it's laughable. Kobe's off-court problems are a public issue. No one is questioning the fact that he has committed adultery; he's admitted to it.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 04:44:01 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
They were bad to show Jason Kidd's wife and kid at every oppurtune time during the Nets 2002 and 2003 runs.
Probably for the exact same reason.
If you mistreat women like these two have done, Kidd and Bryant, you don't deserve to have your reprutation healed unless you can truly prove you're remorsed over it. Those two haven't as of yet.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »

Offline Mike Honcho

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • Nice.

The Celtics?  Maybe.  Celtics fans?  Absolutely not.  By putting his wife and kids in front of the camera, Kobe put them in the public light (again), which makes them fair game.
Bring back Milt Palacio

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 04:57:05 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
this is absurd. I was able to go to the Lakers/Jazz game 3 in Utah and sat right at the tunnel where the players go at half time. When Utah walked back to its locker room, the wives and kids were all there. Some players said hi, some just walked by. What made Kobe's unique is that he was interviewed and then followed by a camera. Let's criticize when it's warranted and not go after a guy's family for no reason...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 05:05:40 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
this is absurd. I was able to go to the Lakers/Jazz game 3 in Utah and sat right at the tunnel where the players go at half time. When Utah walked back to its locker room, the wives and kids were all there. Some players said hi, some just walked by. What made Kobe's unique is that he was interviewed and then followed by a camera. Let's criticize when it's warranted and not go after a guy's family for no reason...

Nobody is going after anyone's family here. We feel bad for Kobe's family.
They can't help the fact they are associated with him.
We are criticizing the NBA for trying to make someone look like something they are not.

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

We are criticizing the NBA for trying to make someone look like something they are not.

exactly, I mean, they may as well show videos of KG meeting with Obama to be his running mate, it's as realistic as the image they are trying to give us of kobe

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 05:21:20 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

exactly, I mean, they may as well show videos of KG meeting with Obama to be his running mate, it's as realistic as the image they are trying to give us of kobe

He'd get my vote - self edited political comment ;)
Yup

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 05:25:32 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
I personally am getting tired of all this Kobe for husband and father of the year stuff.   He is a jerk and I don't buy it for a moment that he didn't rape that girl in Colorado and I don't doubt it for a minute that he is still stepping out on his wife.   But the NBA has to revamp his image since he is the MVP.   

taking it too far imo. It's not like he bought her off.. it went to trial and she lost.  Calling someone a rapist is not something people should throw around lightly, nor let the color of someone's jersey influence that decision.