Author Topic: What Rondo Needs to Do  (Read 5059 times)

Re: What Rondo Needs to Do
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 09:00:16 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The Lakers figured out how to take Rondo completely out of the game.  When they put Kobe on him, it is almost like they have a man advantage on defense.  The two first quarters of the last two games are a direct result of this.  We just can't let that happen again.  Being at home just might shake him loose but I am not optimistic; he is pretty spooked at this point.  I say give him 5 minutes of game time in the first quarter.  If he hasn't hit a couple of shots and forced the Lakers to readjust, put someone else in.  You can put Rondo back in when Kobe is on the bench and then put him back in at the end of the 4th quarter for the garbage time we are going to have with a big lead (and only if we have a really big lead).

I think Rondo will shake this off and have a fine career but we can't play around at this point.

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 09:01:03 PM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
Stop playing like an idiot for a start. That would help. What was he thinking out there? Oh my I'm in 15 feet of space with nobody near me so I'm just going to stand out here 21 feet from the rim and take a longer shot for no reason whatsoever. What the heck is that? There's nobody on the Lakers team forcing him to take that shot, absolutely nobody. He could have taken an 18 footer, a 15 footer, a 12 footer, or he could have taken a chance and cut to the basket for a layup or he could have caught the ball and driven to the layup. Instead he takes a 21 footer because why exactly?

Shooting is an issue for him, why is beating himself? That's all he's doing. Beating himself over and over by standing stagnantly in the wrong spots on the floor whenever Kobe doubles off of him.

Get your head in the game Rondo

Rondo is a set shooter not a guy who can dribbler in a little and then be set to shoot.
If you think about it not many players in the league can quickly dribble up and nail the jumper in like one motion. maybe ray allen, maybe kobe

u know for me i still really hate the way rondo shoots. Way too many things going on before the ball is actually released usually = bad shots

Rondo i think has tried his recent shooting style this year, it doesn't look bad but its not a shot for him in my eyes. Guys like barbosa , even pj brown have uguly shots but they have a nice chance of going in cuz the shot motion is forward. Rondo has to change his form to shoot finishing forward then fading away .

Somebody has to teach him this simple technique, doc is a moron what can you say

Is shooting a basketball similar to serving in tennis?  When a young tennis player is making his way up the rankings, we already know what kind of serve they have.  A tennis player that starts out with a weak serve, usually will not develop a killer serve.  Maybe basketball is the same way.  Somebody like Ray Allen came into the college with great mechanics.  The thing that improves is consistency and percentage, not the basic mechanics.  If such is the case, if Rondo's mechanics are faulty, it might mean that he'll be struggling with his shot for a very long time.

I'm wondering, and I'm asking.  Because we've seen statistics of other young PGs in the NBA who have improved their shooting percentages as they continued to play.  However, what we have not looked at is shooting mechanics.  Did those other PGs who have improved their shot start off with good mechanics?  Maybe they basically had good mechanics to start with.  

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 09:05:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
1) attack looking to score.  (the pass will be there if they collapse)

2) Don't set up in the corner for a long jumper.  get closer to where he has a option to shoot or drive.  Also, work the baseline without the ball and get lost under the basket.

3) Be a gnat on defense.  Get some fast breaks going. 

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 09:30:52 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Good analysis. TP for you

The answer is attack at both ends of the floor. Offensively when Bryant roams, defensively against his man at all times. He has been tentative on both ends of the floor and has basically become useless to the Celtics.

If he can't do it, he has to sit.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 11:03:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Just curious, but am I the only one who noticed that the big dropoff in Rondo's game came right around the time he sprained his ankle? Check out his numbers before and after the injury. The dropoff is pretty significant.

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 11:33:15 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Rondo needs to shoot the **** ball. That's it.

Pete

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 06:52:30 AM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
is to sit on the bench.  Doc kept him in the game too long and it did hurt the spacing on the offense.

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 07:38:16 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
yeap, and sam and eddie hurt or defense.

its one of those [dang]ed if you do, [dang]ed if you don't things.

sam alone gave farmer 6 easy poitns on layups, and eddie gave up another 2. cannot give up open jumpshots to fisher either...

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion