Author Topic: Is Perk going to be OK for game 6  (Read 22509 times)

Re: Is Perk going to be OK for game 6
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2008, 04:48:30 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
please dont let ur bias get the better of you cmoney..it seems ur attacks are getting a bit personal both on the player and poster

i hope BBD and scal gets a run.. though it might be a short leash.. we need to wear down gasol.. so we need to keep a rotation on him if perk is not playing

« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2008, 07:50:33 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I am confused why this is even being discussed.  Scal is a bad rebounder...doesn't mean he is a bad player.

Cliff Robinson was one of the worst rebounding big men in the league, but he was still one of the most important players on several very good teams.

Scal plays defense good perimeter defense, and is as good a help defender as anyone on the team, boxes out his man, and moves the ball on offense.  He doesn't do much else, which is why he isn't playing.  But if if they need one of those skills, that is why he is a good roleplayer, because he can give them, without hurting the team too much elsewhere (although not helping either).

The problem with Scal is that the things he can do like play perimeter defense, we don't need because we have Tony and Pose that can do that.  What we need is a big body that can rebound and Scal can't rebound.  And no, he does not box out well.  That's why the other team always gets the rebound when he plays.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2008, 07:54:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am confused why this is even being discussed.  Scal is a bad rebounder...doesn't mean he is a bad player.

Cliff Robinson was one of the worst rebounding big men in the league, but he was still one of the most important players on several very good teams.

Scal plays defense good perimeter defense, and is as good a help defender as anyone on the team, boxes out his man, and moves the ball on offense.  He doesn't do much else, which is why he isn't playing.  But if if they need one of those skills, that is why he is a good roleplayer, because he can give them, without hurting the team too much elsewhere (although not helping either).

The problem with Scal is that the things he can do like play perimeter defense, we don't need because we have Tony and Pose that can do that.  What we need is a big body that can rebound and Scal can't rebound.  And no, he does not box out well.  That's why the other team always gets the rebound when he plays.

He can cover Odom.  He can keep Odom off the boards. 

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2008, 07:58:20 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
I'd rather see the rookie Big Baby than Scal.  He can box out as well, but can also rebound and finish around the rim.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2008, 08:00:04 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
Is it confirmed that Perk won't play?  Is there any chance at all that he might play?  I'd be way more confident if Perk was playing.

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2008, 08:02:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I'd rather see the rookie Big Baby than Scal.  He can box out as well, but can also rebound and finish around the rim.

If they use Davis to push Gasol, yeah, I would like to see that when PJ is on the bench. 

Keep KG on Odom. 

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Is it confirmed that Perk won't play?  Is there any chance at all that he might play?  I'd be way more confident if Perk was playing.

The last I saw was 'game time decision'

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2008, 08:11:49 AM »

Offline chibi

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
The problem with Perkins being out is that Garnett has to guard Gasol.  Perkins made a believer out of me because he denied Gasol good post position and forced him out to around 15 to 18 feet.  I think the question Celtics fans have to ask themselves is who is capable of denying Gasol post position, while at the same time freeing up Garnett to guard Odom.  I'd think that would be Glen Davis.  

As a Laker fan, I'd like to see Scalabrine out there instead.  

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2008, 08:16:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
The problem with Perkins being out is that Garnett has to guard Gasol.  Perkins made a believer out of me because he denied Gasol good post position and forced him out to around 15 to 18 feet.  I think the question Celtics fans have to ask themselves is who is capable of denying Gasol post position, while at the same time freeing up Garnett to guard Odom.  I'd think that would be Glen Davis. 

Why?   PJ has the length, strength and experience to defend Gasol. 

plus, guarding Gasol got KG in trouble.  Gasol was also able to push KG back. 

Also, with Odom covered by either guys that were to slow or to small, he got off.  And that makes the rest of the Lakers offense so much more dangerous.

KG can shut down Odom, or slow down Gasol.   I think shutting down Odom is the way to go.  Let the other big men be physically aggressive.  Use all three of them so even if they pick up fouls, there is still a big body to throw at him.

KG goes on Gasol if it is close down the stretch.

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2008, 08:37:32 AM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
The problem with Perkins being out is that Garnett has to guard Gasol.  Perkins made a believer out of me because he denied Gasol good post position and forced him out to around 15 to 18 feet.  I think the question Celtics fans have to ask themselves is who is capable of denying Gasol post position, while at the same time freeing up Garnett to guard Odom.  I'd think that would be Glen Davis. 

Also, with Odom covered by either guys that were to slow or to small, he got off.  And that makes the rest of the Lakers offense so much more dangerous.

KG can shut down Odom, or slow down Gasol.   I think shutting down Odom is the way to go.  Let the other big men be physically aggressive.  Use all three of them so even if they pick up fouls, there is still a big body to throw at him.

The ease Gasol was able to overpower and back down both KG and Brown surprised me.  KG just got shoved back like he was on skates and Brown got backed down and ended up having to foul repeatadly trying to swipe the ball. 

I had liked brown on him until i saw that, and still like him on Gasol when he is in, but i think if he goes to the power game, BBD is a good option off the bench.  Honestly i like Powe too, but if i was Doc, i'd instruct all my post defenders that if he starts knocking you off the block, look to draw the charge in boston.  That will set the tone and stop him powering down in the post.  All these players draw charges well.

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2008, 08:54:44 AM »

Offline chibi

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5

PJ and Powe did a poor job of denying Gasol good post position.  When Gasol has good position, it is beneficial to the Lakers for a number of reasons. 

1.  Laker spacing improves, resulting in fewer broken plays and low percentage shots.
2.  Gasol is able to crash the boards more effectively.

If the Laker spacing improves, and if Gasol is able to crash the boards effectively, then the Celtics will go small.  Garnett can defend Gasol pretty well, but that means a mismatch is created when Posey has to keep Odom off the glass or out of the paint. 

Why not keep PJ out there on Odom, you ask?  Because that allows Odom to roam a little bit more and protect the interior.  At least Posey can stretch the defense when he's out there.   

And foul trouble hurt your team in the last game; they couldn't play as aggressively as they wanted to down the stretch.