Author Topic: Is Perk going to be OK for game 6  (Read 22411 times)

Re: Is Perk going to be OK for game 6
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2008, 06:30:48 PM »

Offline KeepDWest

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 24
hopefully rondo can have another strong performance at home with double digit assists . . . powe also plays much better at home

people claimed all year that KG was the only reason Perk has played well, if you ask me i think it works both ways . . . KG needs perk because he can't bang, and perk needs KG to free him up on offense

"and when I let them carry me to the cemetary i wanna be buried with a pocketful of clarity" - slug

« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2008, 06:51:30 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i expect the role players like powe, house, posey and rondo will all play very well tomorrow night...i expect guys like dumbo farmar and the rest of the euros for the lakers will be overwhelmed

« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2008, 07:54:24 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
the problem with my dear Scal
is that he easily is the worst rebouder per size around the league
If its true boxing ouit players help
someone have to grab the lose ball.

Based on what?! Do you have some statistics to back that up or are you just bashing Scal? Scal's per 48 boards are about 7 pg. Due to the fact that he doesn't end up with many Offensive board opportunities because they stick him in the corner for a possible three, that's far from the bottom of the league...

Based on every single game i watched last 2 years where scal played
If u need stats sorry but I ont have the time to find them

I am pretty sure those have been posted here before.If my memory is kind of o.k.
As Roy pointed I may be wrong maybe hes NOT the worst but close to the bottom and I am not going to go into a semantics debate.
Peace

Edgar

Let's see. In the 2 total minutes it took me to look up the stats on nba.com, here's some information for you...

His roughly 7 rebounds per 48 put him ahead of about 25 forwards in the nba. Considering where he plays on offense and defense you'd technically want to classify him with the small forwards, but comparing him to ALL forwards takes care of most of that. Here are a few players you might have heard of at the forward spot that he is ahead of:

Tayshaun Prince
Andrei Kirilenko
Shane Battier
Juwan Howard
Paul Pierce
Brian Skinner

Some of these are no doubt SF's, but Scal is a perimeter player. He is ahead of about 1/3rd of the forwards in the league per 48. Not the top by any stretch, but way better than you give the guy credit for.

Maybe you had the TIME to look the stats up, but didn't really want to know the answers?!

LOL
this is the classic Gerald Green debate, I am not jumping on this one EJ
What kind of competition Scal Face this year
What kind of competition the other Fowards u listed face
Most of them are SF Scal is suposed to be a PF

this is ALL the time I had, to read your answer and answer it after 6 hours... ;) busy day at job.
thanks for the effort anyway

P.S. seems like some of the things I pointed here been alreaedy pointed, sorry To those who answer that first. just dont have the time to read all.

Busy work is better than no work at all!  ;D  It would sure be nice if we could get them to pay us to post on this all day! Some time is better than none I suppose. Keep it up.

The problem with that argument is that if the stars are playing against stars, and the backups are playing against backups, it kind of is a wash. I addressed the SF vs. PF issue. Just because he is a "robust" 6'9" guy doesn't make him a PF. He plays within the system like a SF. He doesn't go down on the blocks. Therefore his rebounding numbers which aren't THAT terrible aren't quite as bad as people are making out. Only point from me is that Scal isn't the awful player people make him out to be on here. 3rd tier big man with high Basketball IQ and limited physical skills.

« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2008, 08:14:26 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
well that begs the question, "how valuable is it to have a starting PF/C who plays more like a SF?"

I mean, fine, use the fact he doesn't get down low as an excuse for his poor rebounding, but then who DOES do that work when he's out there?

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2008, 08:39:23 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
well that begs the question, "how valuable is it to have a starting PF/C who plays more like a SF?"

I mean, fine, use the fact he doesn't get down low as an excuse for his poor rebounding, but then who DOES do that work when he's out there?

Why don't you ask KG?! Who does the down low work offensively when HE is out there?! He is one of the greats at his position of all time and he won't get in the post on that end of the floor...

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2008, 08:39:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

This is why he is a roleplayer.  You put him out there when you can handle the paint without him, but need a guy who can defend big men on the perimeter, or someone who can stretch the defense a little bit to create room inside for your other big man.

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2008, 08:49:19 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Have no idea why they put Powe on Gasol and later had PJ Brown on Odom. Powe can cover Odom but not Gasol. P.J. Brown Can cover Gasol in a pinch - not great - but better than KG fouling out. This seems so obvious; but perhaps I am missing something. Start PJ Brown, sub Powe for Garnett or allow him to cover Odom if Garnett moves to Center. You can play Powe on Turiaf; but Mihm was a problem. People questioned Jackson's judgment but was clear he was exploiting Perk's absence.

« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis

Why don't you ask KG?! Who does the down low work offensively when HE is out there?! He is one of the greats at his position of all time and he won't get in the post on that end of the floor...

lol.. he had 7 offensive rebounds last night.

« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2008, 08:54:03 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

lol.. he had 7 offensive rebounds last night.

Yes, and one basket in the paint after the first quarter. Ever heard of long rebounds from a jump shooting team?!

The point is that ripping Scal because he plays on the perimeter in our offense rings a little hollow when KG spends all his time in the same spots.

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2008, 08:59:54 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
1.  KG is a historically great jump shooter.  This is fact.
2.  You're exaggerating. 

edit: and lol at your point about long rebounds.  I doubt you know that's the case, you're just winging.  KG ALWAYS crashes the glass. And second, why wouldn't those same long rebounds on that same jump shooting team ever find their way to good ol' perimeter playing Scal? 

Edit. no need to go personal
Edgar
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 09:51:13 PM by Edgar »

« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
2.  You're exaggerating. 
edit: and lol at your point about long rebounds.  I doubt you know that's the case, you're just winging.  KG ALWAYS crashes the glass. And second, why wouldn't those same long rebounds on that same jump shooting team ever find their way to good ol' perimeter playing Scal? 

Sounds like someone is bordering on taking this to a personal level. I can play that game just fine, however these moderators don't seem to like when people go there. I'll leave it at that.

The people on here who are saying that Scal SUCKS and has no skills whatsoever are the one's exaggerating. I am stating that he is the 12-13th guy on our squad, comes in and puts in a lot of effort, is at the top of the bottom 3rd in rebounds per whatever minutes pg you want to use (who's attempting to be clever insinuating that using 36 mpg vs 48 mpg somehow changes his rankings?!) and plays high IQ basketball with limited skills. Everyone on here can agree with that assessment if they are being honest. That is what the numbers support.

My comparison to KG was an obvious stretch, but still points out the fact that even HE who is one of the great PF's has some severe weaknesses. Don't you think at 24 million per year he should be perfect?! If that's the standard you are holding this role player to?!

KG sits on the perimeter around the top of the key. Scal is parked in the corner at the three point line. Not a whole lot of long boards end up over there. Quite a few end up where he is. He does indeed go after offensive boards from the key, but once again he does make 24 mil py. I guess not everyone has actually played the game so it may not be common knowledge...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 09:50:52 PM by Edgar »

« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2008, 09:50:19 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
2.  You're exaggerating. 

No need to get personal
Yes EJ sometimes we realize when people do that!!  ;)  ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2008, 09:52:35 PM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
edgar manana ganamos  ;D

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2008, 10:04:49 PM »