Author Topic: Is Perk going to be OK for game 6  (Read 22513 times)

Re: Is Perk going to be OK for game 6
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 11:46:29 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
aside from powe (too small ) or big baby ( too small and round  ;) )...

can SCAL help perhaps? at this point we need height and energy...a busy body not afraid to give decent fouls behind PJ and KG...

just a thought...

We might get killed on the boards, because Scal doesn't rebound.  BUT, with soft big men like Gasol and Odom, maybe he will have success.

Scali doesn't rebound.  neither does posey.

but Scali does a better job of keeping his man off the boards. 

Great point.  This is one of the most underrated things Scal does.  Although he is a horrible rebounder himself, he is very good at taking his man off the rebound.

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I'd like to see Big Baby get some playing time.  He's a better defender then Powe and his size would help a lot I think.

I think outside of perk, Davis has the best chance of knocking Gasol off his spot. 

And if he is knocked off his spot, as long as his jumpshot isn't hitting over Davis, it might be a good option off the bench if Perk cannot play. 

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 11:48:57 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
aside from powe (too small ) or big baby ( too small and round  ;) )...

can SCAL help perhaps? at this point we need height and energy...a busy body not afraid to give decent fouls behind PJ and KG...

just a thought...

We might get killed on the boards, because Scal doesn't rebound.  BUT, with soft big men like Gasol and Odom, maybe he will have success.

Scali doesn't rebound.  neither does posey.

but Scali does a better job of keeping his man off the boards. 

Great point.  This is one of the most underrated things Scal does.  Although he is a horrible rebounder himself, he is very good at taking his man off the rebound.

They're saving Scals for Game 7 ;)
Yup

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 11:58:13 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
the problem with my dear Scal
is that he easily is the worst rebouder per size around the league
If its true boxing ouit players help
someone have to grab the lose ball.

Based on what?! Do you have some statistics to back that up or are you just bashing Scal? Scal's per 48 boards are about 7 pg. Due to the fact that he doesn't end up with many Offensive board opportunities because they stick him in the corner for a possible three, that's far from the bottom of the league...

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 12:12:42 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Based on what?! Do you have some statistics to back that up or are you just bashing Scal? Scal's per 48 boards are about 7 pg. Due to the fact that he doesn't end up with many Offensive board opportunities because they stick him in the corner for a possible three, that's far from the bottom of the league...

I don't know.  For a power forward or center, it's got to be pretty close to the bottom.  As mentioned by several of us above, Scal keeps his man off the boards, so it's not that huge a deal.  In terms of numbers, though, I would guess that Scal is in the bottom 10% of big men in terms of rebounding.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Based on every single game i watched last 2 years where scal played
If u need stats sorry but I ont have the time to find them

I am pretty sure those have been posted here before.If my memory is kind of o.k.
As Roy pointed I may be wrong maybe hes NOT the worst but close to the bottom and I am not going to go into a semantics debate.
Peace

Edgar
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 12:40:04 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Based on every single game i watched last 2 years where scal played
If u need stats sorry but I ont have the time to find them

I am pretty sure those have been posted here before.If my memory is kind of o.k.
As Roy pointed I may be wrong maybe hes NOT the worst but close to the bottom and I am not going to go into a semantics debate.
Peace

Edgar

Let's see. In the 2 total minutes it took me to look up the stats on nba.com, here's some information for you...

His roughly 7 rebounds per 48 put him ahead of about 25 forwards in the nba. Considering where he plays on offense and defense you'd technically want to classify him with the small forwards, but comparing him to ALL forwards takes care of most of that. Here are a few players you might have heard of at the forward spot that he is ahead of:

Tayshaun Prince
Andrei Kirilenko
Shane Battier
Juwan Howard
Paul Pierce
Brian Skinner

Some of these are no doubt SF's, but Scal is a perimeter player. He is ahead of about 1/3rd of the forwards in the league per 48. Not the top by any stretch, but way better than you give the guy credit for.

Maybe you had the TIME to look the stats up, but didn't really want to know the answers?!

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 01:30:45 PM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15

As far as sticking BBD on Gasol. Horrible idea! His little jump hook would eat BBD alive. He wouldn't have any pressure on it at all. He would outrebound him just like he did Powe last night.

I agree there will times when BBD's height will allow for a play or two to be made, but i guarantee that hook shot of his gets a lot harder when he has BBD's weight pushing against him and he's shooting it from 12 feet out and he wont be backing BBD down like he did others (KG, Brown, Powe) and shooting it from 2 feet out.

I'd rather take a fired up, rebounding machine, but under control offensively BBD any day to guard Gasol for long periods of the game than brown or powe especially.  (No offense to these players, just bad matchups)

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 02:11:44 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

As far as sticking BBD on Gasol. Horrible idea! His little jump hook would eat BBD alive. He wouldn't have any pressure on it at all. He would outrebound him just like he did Powe last night.

I agree there will times when BBD's height will allow for a play or two to be made, but i guarantee that hook shot of his gets a lot harder when he has BBD's weight pushing against him and he's shooting it from 12 feet out and he wont be backing BBD down like he did others (KG, Brown, Powe) and shooting it from 2 feet out.

I'd rather take a fired up, rebounding machine, but under control offensively BBD any day to guard Gasol for long periods of the game than brown or powe especially.  (No offense to these players, just bad matchups)
Gasol is a rhythm player in a extreme fashion. When players bump him off the spot or manage to keep from backing his man down his FG% lowers very quickly. Davis is also quicker than Gasol so he can limit his drives and spin moves in the post.

I'm worried about BBD's lack of height too but the strength and post defense that Davis brings could be more than enough. I think it's worth trying.

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2008, 02:16:19 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
i remember BBD doing a great job on duncan in the regular season.....
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2008, 03:04:29 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
all this Scal talk is pure lunacy.  LUNACY  I SAY

Scal isn't just one of the worst rebounders for his size.. he's literally one of the worst players in the entire NBA.  He.Is.Useless.  If Doc plays him, we will lose, and I will get sad and cry. 

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14

keep grasping at straws EJ.  You say 7/48 like it's a good thing.  (who uses per 48 by the way? per 36 makes more sense as no one plays 48mins).  His per 36 is 5.5 rebounds per game.  That's TERRIBLE for a 6-9 PF.  And don't use offensive rebounding as an excuse.  That doesn't stop guys like Dirk and Okur or even Sheed from putting up respectable rebounding #s.  The guy has a total rebound percentage below 10%.. do you know how bad that is?

Besides that, he also stinks offensively.  Despite barely ever getting touches, he manages nearly 2 turnovers per 36mins.  A TOV% of ~20%.. awful awful awful for such a low usage guy.  It should be down near 10-12%. 

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2008, 03:34:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
all this Scal talk is pure lunacy.  LUNACY  I SAY

Scal isn't just one of the worst rebounders for his size.. he's literally one of the worst players in the entire NBA.  He.Is.Useless.  If Doc plays him, we will lose, and I will get sad and cry. 

They did pretty well with him in the starting lineup earlier in this season.  I think they can handle 10 minutes from him in the finals.

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2008, 03:39:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
While BBD could keep Gasol out of the paint, he gets no respect from the refs, and would have 3 fouls in about 3 minutes. Hopefully Perk can go.

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 03:44:22 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I really hope Perk is ready for game 6. All season I was anti Perk but i have really grown to appreciate the job he does for us. Not having him in the starting lineup really made a huge difference and I think if he played in game 5 the Celtics would have been able to win it. We were having a lot of trouble with rebounding and toughness inside and we really missed his presence.