Author Topic: Is Perk going to be OK for game 6  (Read 22419 times)

Re: Is Perk going to be OK for game 6
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 10:42:17 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
aside from powe (too small ) or big baby ( too small and round  ;) )...

can SCAL help perhaps? at this point we need height and energy...a busy body not afraid to give decent fouls behind PJ and KG...

just a thought...

Frankly, I think this isn't a bad idea.  Scal doesn't do much offensively, but he plays good defense and keeps his man off the boards.  In the past, he's shut down KG (last year) and Big Al (this season), and I see no reason he couldn't help on Gasol or Odom a bit.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 10:50:31 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 10:43:05 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

can SCAL help perhaps? at this point we need height and energy...a busy body not afraid to give decent fouls behind PJ and KG...

just a thought...

We might get killed on the boards, because Scal doesn't rebound.  BUT, with soft big men like Gasol and Odom, maybe he will have success.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 10:48:45 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

just a thought...

Frankly, I think this isn't a bad idea.  Scal doesn't do much offensively, but he plays good defense and keeps his man off the boards.  In the past, he's shut down KG (last year) and Big Al (this season), and I see know reason he couldn't help on Gasol or Odom a bit.

I'm not crazy about Scal, but I agree he might be able to help ... Big Baby, too. Use a "Big Guy" rotation to wear out Gasol, (Davis, Powe, PJ, and Scal). They could waste a few fouls on him and tire him out, without us getting into too much trouble, and they actually wouldn't have to produce a lot of offense. The cool thing is that very often in such circumastances, when you don't expect much from players, they give you more than you hoped for anyway.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 10:49:02 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

just a thought...

Frankly, I think this isn't a bad idea.  Scal doesn't do much offensively, but he plays good defense and keeps his man off the boards.  In the past, he's shut down KG (last year) and Big Al (this season), and I see know reason he couldn't help on Gasol or Odom a bit.

I agree.  He is the definition of a pesky defender for a big man.  He gets right up on them when they are out of the post, and has been able to nearly take them out of the game. 

Personally, I think the best example of this was in the Dallas game where he started, and really bothered Dirk throughout the game. 

My guess is that if they put him on Odom, Lamar would try to clock him after 5 minutes.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 10:54:04 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

just a thought...

We might get killed on the boards, because Scal doesn't rebound.  BUT, with soft big men like Gasol and Odom, maybe he will have success.

Scali doesn't rebound.  neither does posey.

but Scali does a better job of keeping his man off the boards. 

Playing scali some time (10 minutes) on Odom is not a bad idea. 

As for Perkins, if the Doctor says it will be ok, I have no doubt Perkins can play through the pain. 

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Not having Perk in there just documented all of us Perk supporters comments of how much a role he plays in the success of this team. If he was in there last night healthy this thing is over. They got way too many second chance points. He also is the person who needs to cover Gasol as has been pointed out here. I fear the dislocation as well, because if it is just a strain, cortizone injections would have him out there. I had rotator cuff surgery last summer and before they did the MRI they gave me an injection and in spite of the tear (which we didn't know was there yet) I felt better than I had in years! It felt 100%. Perk would be playing even with pain if he could.

As far as sticking BBD on Gasol. Horrible idea! His little jump hook would eat BBD alive. He wouldn't have any pressure on it at all. He would outrebound him just like he did Powe last night.

We just need to run them out of the building. Plain and simple. Play tough D on Kobe and we will be fine.

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 10:57:58 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
the problem with my dear Scal
is that he easily is the worst rebouder per size around the league
If its true boxing ouit players help
someone have to grab the lose ball.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 11:02:08 AM »

Offline radiodavidm

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 6

just a thought...
Scal doesn't have the quickness that BBD has, though his length might make him a good substitution at a couple of key points.  Two Scal "cons" are that he seems to get beat too easily by his man, and he puts up a lot of bricks.

I think Doc's substitutions will be a combination of intuition and response to how each bench player performs and matches up.  As critical as Perk's inside defensive play is, our defensive system is strong enough - and our backup bigs have enough skill and heart - that we will be able to do a better job of shutting down the Lakers inside in Game 6.     

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 11:11:14 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

just a thought...
Scal doesn't have the quickness that BBD has, though his length might make him a good substitution at a couple of key points.  Two Scal "cons" are that he seems to get beat too easily by his man, and he puts up a lot of bricks.

I think Doc's substitutions will be a combination of intuition and response to how each bench player performs and matches up.  As critical as Perk's inside defensive play is, our defensive system is strong enough - and our backup bigs have enough skill and heart - that we will be able to do a better job of shutting down the Lakers inside in Game 6.     

Scali being beat by his man is false.  Look at his defensive Per.  He does a great job defensively as a bench player. 

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

The thing is, Scal doesn't get beat that much.  Opposing power forwards have a PER of 10.4 against him, and only average 14.9 pts per 48 minutes, while shooting 39.6%.  Those are extremely good numbers.  While he gets outrebounded, that's only by 1.5 rebounds for every 48 minutes of play.  That's mostly because he holds his man to 8.9 rebounds per 48 minutes, which is again a very good number.

For comparison's sake, KG's man averages 17.1 points per 48, grabs 10.7 rebounds per 48, and shoots 42.1%.  Those are extremely good numbers, and Scal's production -- in obviously limited minutes -- has surpassed that.  It's hard to objectively say that he's a poor defender.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 11:37:24 AM »

Offline Oldschoolkid

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
First off, can you imagine ANY player from the BIRd era missing a playoff game....? Perk is definitely missed.....Scal...maybe, but i would try big baby first, his desire can beat his size, when it comes to rebounding, position and desire leads the way over size...how else do you think rodman ever did it...? He was 6' 8" at best. Perk plays a some great games, but then shows his immaturity right after that.....he is on the verge of greatness, and then not at all....! He better find it within him to be there, I know the shoulder is a major part of the game, and he did have surgery on it 2 years ago...but he also has the healing power of a 23 year old, which is major......! We'll see...!

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 11:40:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
First off, can you imagine ANY player from the BIRd era missing a playoff game....? Perk is definitely missed.....Scal...maybe, but i would try big baby first, his desire can beat his size, when it comes to rebounding, position and desire leads the way over size...how else do you think rodman ever did it...? He was 6' 8" at best. Perk plays a some great games, but then shows his immaturity right after that.....he is on the verge of greatness, and then not at all....! He better find it within him to be there, I know the shoulder is a major part of the game, and he did have surgery on it 2 years ago...but he also has the healing power of a 23 year old, which is major......! We'll see...!

Kareem missed a game

Didn't Isaih miss games. 

When guys are injured, they miss games. 

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 11:43:53 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
First off, can you imagine ANY player from the BIRd era missing a playoff game....?

Well, in 1987 McHale and Parish missed two playoff games, and Danny missed three.  In 1985, Larry missed one.  It happens.

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 11:44:57 AM »

Offline celtpinoy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
  • BEAT LA
good that you guys also feel that SCAL could be an option for GAME 6

am sure with the limited minutes (just like Tony Allen)...he would think twice..thrice even....before throwing up a brick....

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 11:45:08 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I'd like to see Big Baby get some playing time.  He's a better defender then Powe and his size would help a lot I think.
do it