Author Topic: Doc mistakes from this game  (Read 17421 times)

Re: Doc mistakes from this game
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2008, 12:51:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I never pulled out the -10, remember, I use my eyes, not stats.  And with my eyes, I saw a guy who was getting pushed around on the boards, and was not in position on defense.

sure, because what's more objective, your eyes or the stats?  All the things you hate Powe for PJ does the exact same thing.. blows rotations and gets lost out there.   On top of that he's a worse rebounder and a big old zero on the offensive end. 

I never claimed it was objective. 

And I don't hate Powe for anything.  I love him as a player.  I just see him as a second year player who is still learning the game...and specifically the defensive rotations.

I also completely disagree about PJ being lost out there.  I think he has some issues with one on one defense, but he is ussually in the right place on the rotations.

« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2008, 12:52:11 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
Powe is a bad matchup against the starting laker big men.  No way around it. 

Could Powe have played against the Laker reserves, yes.  but the linup with Posey out there at PF also worked well in this game against the laker reserves.  And since Pierce and Ray were not sitting in the 2nd half, and the Celtics want Posey or PJ out there, there really wasn't the available minutes for Powe at that point. 

Powe should play 10-12 minutes. Brown is fine but he played 25 minutes last night scoring 4 pts and grabbing 3 boards. Powe could have done at least that if not better.
It's ok if Brown is the first big off the bench and/or gets more minutes than Powe, but his play hasn't warranted Powe getting fewer minutes.....and that's all throughout the playoffs, as far as I'm concerned.

i said Powe could have played against the Laker reserves.  He seems to have an advantage.

but the small team the Celtics used at that point was very successful.  I can't blame them for trying it again.

PJ did play a few to many minutes.  But what other option is there to throw at Gasol without Perk. 

That's what the team needed.  15 minutes of Perk. 

I think we could actually use around 30 minutes of Perk!

« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2008, 12:54:31 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Powe is a bad matchup against the starting laker big men.  No way around it. 

Could Powe have played against the Laker reserves, yes.  but the linup with Posey out there at PF also worked well in this game against the laker reserves.  And since Pierce and Ray were not sitting in the 2nd half, and the Celtics want Posey or PJ out there, there really wasn't the available minutes for Powe at that point. 

Powe should play 10-12 minutes. Brown is fine but he played 25 minutes last night scoring 4 pts and grabbing 3 boards. Powe could have done at least that if not better.
It's ok if Brown is the first big off the bench and/or gets more minutes than Powe, but his play hasn't warranted Powe getting fewer minutes.....and that's all throughout the playoffs, as far as I'm concerned.

i said Powe could have played against the Laker reserves.  He seems to have an advantage.

but the small team the Celtics used at that point was very successful.  I can't blame them for trying it again.

PJ did play a few to many minutes.  But what other option is there to throw at Gasol without Perk. 

That's what the team needed.  15 minutes of Perk. 

I think we could actually use around 30 minutes of Perk!

30 minutes would be nice, but 15 minutes is enough to have the positive effect.

Gasol would have been physically pushed around causing him to shrink as the game goes on.  Odom gets defended by KG.   PJ and Powe go against worn down (mentally and physically) big men. 

« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2008, 12:54:40 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
I think coaching a pro sports team may be a job where one receives the biggest amount of scrutiny possible (outside of political jobs, but I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole)

can you imagine if you were say a record store owner.  Everytime something is misplaced because a customer picked it up and put it elsewhere, you get 100 people telling you how to do your job... I doubt that happens (if anyone here happens to own a record store, and I mean vinyl, not cd's, let me know if this is true)

imagine if you were a firefighter, everytime you fight a fire or do something great, people are all over you because you didn't save their plasma tv or something ridiculous like that

imagine you're a teacher, everytime you say or do anything someone doesn't agree with, there's a school board meeting, its in the papers, etc. etc.

anyways, I think Doc has it a lot harder than most of us on here, and I think he generally handles it well. 

He also makes millions of dollars so sorry if I don't shed a tear for him.

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2008, 12:57:11 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis

30 minutes would be nice, but 15 minutes is enough to have the positive effect.

Gasol would have been physically pushed around causing him to shrink as the game goes on.  Odom gets defended by KG.   PJ and Powe go against worn down (mentally and physically) big men. 

Agreed, just preaching my love for the big fella.  PIAB.  Perk routinely eats Gasol's soul for lunch.  Hopefully he's good for ~20 minutes tomorrow night so we can hang this [dang] banner already.

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2008, 01:12:55 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I didn't think Doc did a particularly good job with the center problem, but KG's foul trouble contributed to that. I thought he should not have started Leon - either go with a real center, PJ Brown, or if you really want to keep him as a bench player, go with the small ball lineup that worked the other night and put Posey in there. Powe didn't make a ton of sense to me. I thought he was absolutely abused in the opening minutes because it wasn't a good situation for him. He's not an outstanding team defender and his one-on-one defense isn't geared for a guy like Odom or even worse Gasol, who's just far too big. That said, I don't understand why he didn't play after the opening minutes. He could have been more effective at later stages and I think they should have used him more than 5 minutes.

I thought Doc handled the point guard situation well and liked his decisions to trust in Tony Allen. Doc did a good job, we were outplayed though, and did miss Perk's presence.

Doc is doing a fantastic job in the Finals, though, and I have complete faith in him handling Game 6. Let's go!
Go Celtics.

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2008, 01:22:34 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
I thought Doc handled the point guard situation well and liked his decisions to trust in Tony Allen. Doc did a good job, we were outplayed though, and did miss Perk's presence.

Though the thought of giving Tony Allen extended burn still scares the crap out of me, I would have liked to see some more of him in the second half.   

« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2008, 04:26:30 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I thought Dic did okay considering that Perk was out and Garnett was in foul trouble. i personally don't think PJ is very good, but they were pretty limited. I might have liked to see Davis take a shot at banging Pau around, but that's just my thought. All things considered being in the game until the very end tells me Doc did a pretty desent job.

I do have one issue that I don't really understand. Please keep in mind that I'm not one of those guys that remember everything at the exact time it happened, but can someone tell me why Doc seems to wait so long bevore calling his first time out in a game? It was apperant to me that the Celtics came out flat and the Lakers were running off to a big lead. It would have seemed to me that a time out before they were down something like 12 points might have been a good idea. Other coaches seem to use time outs to stale the momentum of other teams, but Doc always wants to let them play though it. I could be wrong but I think I would have used a time out when they went up by say 6 or maybe even 8 points.

Powe could have been inside board help in Game 5
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »

Offline grayjonv

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Amazed Powe did not get more time in Game 5 to provide badly needed rebounding and put backs.

Was happy to see Powe given the start, and expected a decent contribution, but amazed was pulled after 5 minutes and not ever reinstalled.

If KG keeps missing the outside shots, which makes offensive rebounds hard to come by without KG on the boards, then the Celtics need a good rebounder.

Celtics can't win with KG missing outside shots.
They need him hitting the shot or on the inside block.