Author Topic: Ajinca worked out for Boston?  (Read 8224 times)

Ajinca worked out for Boston?
« on: June 15, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52996/20080615/ajinca_wants_to_come_to_nba_next_season/

In between Ronny Turiaf's love fest of this guy he mentions he had a great workout in Boston recently. I haven't heard anything about that and I assume if he did work out in Boston, it was for the Celtics. I don't even think I've seen this kid's name listed for any work outs for any team.

I've watched this kid for probably three years, and I do like him and I guess he now is interested in coming to the US either next year or the year after. So him not wanting to come over doesn't appear to be an issue.

But, again I haven't seen his name listed and I was wondering if anyone else had any info on this workout? I think he's mildly similar to Yi Jianlian, who Danny would have taken with pick five last year, so does anyone else think there might be legitimate interest in this young French kid?

Re: Ajinca worked out for Boston?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 04:50:32 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Here's a video of his private workout. He has nice shooting form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj1bHmIXtBQ
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 04:58:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Nice workout video. Will be interesting when he bulks up.

Of course, the video was pretty much an Ajinca highlight film and did not show any miscues.

It would be nice to have his height.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 05:08:41 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
needs a left hand, but good touch for a guy that big.  would definitely help this team, even if they had to stash him away somewhere for a year.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 05:42:24 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
He... the only thing Ajinca an Yi have in common is that their bodies are not ready to allow them to play in their original positions in the NBA. Yi can play SF, but Ajinca is an interior player. His body is much more developed than a year ago (when it was scary to see him playing in the Euroleague, let alone the NBA), but nowhere near ready.

Usually, I'm not very high on European big guys with "upside" (Petro, Perovic, Skita, Sene, Darko), but Ajinca is probably the player to go if we're looking for a big to draft'n'stash with the #30 (Ibaka is another one). He looked more confortable  playing in the paint this last season, didn't jack so many long-range shots, and he came second in the vote for best young player in the french league, after Batum. Still a very raw player: we're talking about a 12mpg, 6ppg, 3rpg, 1bpg in a subpar european league (though the stats are a little skewed, as he clearly improved as the season progressed).

Here's a video with the highlights of one of his best games this season:
ttp://www.lnbtv.net/?video=HtvLeMans.wmv

Another one with his season highlights:
http://www.lnbtv.net/lecture_video.php?video=ClipAjinca.wmv&titre=Clip%20Espoirs%20LNB%20-%20Alexis%20Ajin%E7a

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 06:09:47 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Wow he's tall. They say you can't teach height but he needs to put on some bulk for sure. He could learn a thing or two from KG.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 10:55:29 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
My problem with him is that he is sooooo skinny.  He doesn't look like he has gained much weight in the last year, especially in the lower body.  I am worried that he will never be able to play inside in the NBA.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 11:00:56 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Ajinca is exactly the kind of player they should be looking at.  He can be stashed in Europe while he bulks up.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:06:22 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Ajinca is exactly the kind of player they should be looking at.  He can be stashed in Europe while he bulks up.

I agree with this point, but I don't understand why people see him and assume he can bulk up, but they see Tomic (who is supposedly more skilled), and assume he can't.  From what I have seen of Tomic and Ajinka, I think Tomic actually has the better frame to add weight to.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »

Online P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
I think he is definitely a better option than Hardin. But Detroit picks right in front of us, and they will get the better one of them.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 06:57:40 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I agree with this point, but I don't understand why people see him and assume he can bulk up, but they see Tomic (who is supposedly more skilled), and assume he can't.  From what I have seen of Tomic and Ajinka, I think Tomic actually has the better frame to add weight to.

Good question, Chris. I'd say there are a couple of reasons:

1. For starters, and probably the most important reason, Tomic is one year and a half older than Ajinca. If in the next 18 months Ajinca doesn't add some bulk to his body, the hype surrounding him will fade drastically.

2. Tomic has been playing pro basketball for 3 years. He hasn't showed much improvement in his body. Ajinca basically played his 1st season last year and his physical strength clearly improved (though mostly his upper body, I reckon).

3. Ajinca has showed his ability to be dominant in the paint when playing against his peers in youth tournaments, especially in the defensive side. Tomic not so much.

4. Overall, Ajinca is more gifted physically. He is quicker, faster running the floor, jumps higher, has a longer wingspan. Also, I don't agree with your judgment about their frames. 

5. Ajinca averages a shot-block every 8 minutes; Tomic every 46 minutes. Ajinca averages a rebound every 3.5 minutes; Tomic every 4 minutes. Ajinca has a FTA for 7 minutes, making 30% of his points from there; Tomic has a FTA for 11 minutes and only 14% of his total points were from the line. Ajinca tried hard to play in the paint and attack the rim this season and his kind of game is more aggressive and physical. 

6. Tomic improved during this season, as expected; but Ajinca was more impressive. In the last 11 games of the season, he averaged 16mpg; in the first 11 games, 7.5 mpg. Of course that he started from a lower floor - Tomic is already a very good player for European standards.

7. Skill-wise, you are right. But Tomic is a low-post player, that needs to gain position to execute his repertoire of fancy plays. Without the body strength, he will never be able to hold position in the paint in the NBA. Ajinca looks more versatile, he goes for dunks every time he has the chance... he's not as good as Tomic right now, it's not even close, but, and perhaps I'm being unfair (in all honesty, I've only watched one game from Tomic this last season), Tomic is more the prototypical hyper-soft Euro big, while Ajinca at least displays flashes of toughness, despite of his lack of strength. 

So, and while I'm not sold on the idea of drafting an european big (far from it), I'd give a slight advantage to Ajinca, essentially because he's 2 years younger. But I definitely share your doubts and I'm also worried about his chances of ever playing in the NBA. As I've said before, I'd rather see Ainge pick a college winger in the 1st round and then try to get a middle 2nd round pick and draft some other guy (Semir, Asik, Casspi, De Colo, etc.). 

Side note: if an athletic European big is the goal, then the priority will be Ibaka, the Congolese Garnett:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pOqfoxfeOQ&feature=related

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:09:41 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 07:08:12 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
...(to be deleted if possible)

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 07:16:10 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Serge Ibaka is another kid I've liked since I first heard about him, but I don't expect him to be around at 30. And saying his name in the same sentence as Kevin Garnett should be illegal.

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 07:20:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Thanks for that great post Cordobes.  Those are all great points, and it is great to get that kind of analysis from someone who has seen a little more of these guys.

I definitely would like them to look at Ibaka as well, although I get the impression he will be gone before 30, and I think he is too big a risk to actually move up for.

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Nice post, Cordobes.  Have you seen either of the two Turkish kids recently?  I'm talking about Omer Asik and Semih Erden.