Author Topic: Thanks For the Ride  (Read 11595 times)

Re: Thanks For the Ride
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 07:07:17 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Great piece, Redz ... you are responsible for more of my smiles here than anyone else at CelticsBlog ... and Lord knows I don't do enough smiling these days! I share very similar sentiment, and the best part of winning a Championship for me would be being able to still share it with my folks, who are responsible for my fanhood in the first place. Really enjoyed this read ... TP for you ... and a very Happy Father's Day, indeed ... for you and the "The Little Redhead from the Cape"! (Is anything on this earth greater than being a Dad?!?)  ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 07:35:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Great piece, Redz ... you are responsible for more of my smiles here than anyone else at CelticsBlog ... and Lord knows I don't do enough smiling these days! I share very similar sentiment, and the best part of winning a Championship for me would be being able to still share it with my folks, who are responsible for my fanhood in the first place. Really enjoyed this read ... TP for you ... and a very Happy Father's Day, indeed ... for you and the "The Little Redhead from the Cape"! (Is anything on this earth greater than being a Dad?!?)  ;)

Thanks Bahku.  The Little Redhead has done her best to make Father's Day equal parts joyous and aggravating (but that's her job I suppose) ;)
Yup

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 07:52:30 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Thanks Bahku.  The Little Redhead has done her best to make Father's Day equal parts joyous and aggravating (but that's her job I suppose) ;)

Absolutely ... that's her job, and if she's anything like mine were, she takes her job seriously! My oldest "Baby" (in California), just asked me to walk her down the aisle in August ... man, I don't even want to think about how tough that will be emotionally, though in a good way. She's got a great guy, and that's all I ever asked for my kids ... that they find happiness. It goes so fast, my friend ... treasure those aggravations while you can, for as Michael McDonald wrote in a song about his daughter: "This love was only meant to fly away".

My youngest is 19 and just finished her second year at Northeastern ... she has decided to spend the summer working in Boston, (at her job at Best Buy), so she won't be coming to Maine ... and I'm having a hard time with that one, and being a single Dad and raising her alone, the old "empty nest" thing is now a reality I wish I'd never had to experience. She is my joy and my sunshine, and my world has become a little darker as a result. She doesn't know it affects me so, and I'm not about to let on, but I miss my best friend ... her smile and the sound of her voice ... and the aggravations, all blessings I'd rather not do without. Letting go is a tough one ... truly.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 02:45:00 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
this type of thread should wait until after we win.  if we lose im holding redz accountable for jinxing us!  ;)

thanks redz  ;)

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 03:20:17 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
this type of thread should wait until after we win.  if we lose im holding redz accountable for jinxing us!  ;)

thanks redz  ;)

You should actually TP that, dark_lord.
Think of all those people that will be able
to tell their children that they were there
at the Garden when the Celtics won No. 17  ;)

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 07:25:13 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

thanks redz  ;)

Hey now.  I'll take jinxing credit if they lose the series.  Last night thought, uh-uh. ;D
Yup

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 06:31:18 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

thanks redz  ;)

You should actually TP that, dark_lord.
Think of all those people that will be able
to tell their children that they were there
at the Garden when the Celtics won No. 17  ;)

im one of those people.  i am happy to see them live again and hopefully pull it out at home in front of my very eyes, but i want the title asap, regardless of location.

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
cheers Redz and everyone

lets get this thing done tonight!
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 01:04:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
cheers Redz and everyone

lets get this thing done tonight!

Right back at ya Jeff.  Thanks for this place ;)

You can pretty much take what I said the other night in the OP and multiply by a thousand.  I'm getting giddy.
Yup

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 01:36:48 PM »

Offline radiodavidm

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 6

I disagree.  So often we get so attached to the final outcome  that we stop appreciating how we got there, and all the great things along the way.  Yes, we need to take it home, and best to do it tonight.  But how much sweeter it is when you appreciate where we already ARE.  This is quite different from jinxing us by taking it for GRANTED that we will win.  In fact it is almost the opposite, because it is a statement of appreciation for what has already happened, rather than being purely fixated on tthe final goal.

There have been several points during these playoffs - especially during those rare moments when it was a little uncertain that we are going to make it to the next round - where I have just taken a moment to thank the Celts, thank the universe, thank whatever divine forces I relate to, for where we are now. 

I agree with Redz - these playoffs have been a roller coaster ride.  I find that I'm able to enjoy it a lot more when I stop being worried and fixated on the final outcome and more appreciative of all the great things the Celts have already done.  It is an honor to be connected to this team, and nothing that comes in the next few days should be able to take that away. 

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24

I disagree.  So often we get so attached to the final outcome  that we stop appreciating how we got there, and all the great things along the way.  Yes, we need to take it home, and best to do it tonight.  But how much sweeter it is when you appreciate where we already ARE.  This is quite different from jinxing us by taking it for GRANTED that we will win.  In fact it is almost the opposite, because it is a statement of appreciation for what has already happened, rather than being purely fixated on tthe final goal.

There have been several points during these playoffs - especially during those rare moments when it was a little uncertain that we are going to make it to the next round - where I have just taken a moment to thank the Celts, thank the universe, thank whatever divine forces I relate to, for where we are now. 

I agree with Redz - these playoffs have been a roller coaster ride.  I find that I'm able to enjoy it a lot more when I stop being worried and fixated on the final outcome and more appreciative of all the great things the Celts have already done.  It is an honor to be connected to this team, and nothing that comes in the next few days should be able to take that away. 

I sure hope this roller coaster get's off at the top as opposed to the bottom.  :'(

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 01:45:53 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Yup, that's where I was coming from.   
Yup

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 04:16:50 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

you aparently didnt read my other post following the one you quoted:

im just messing with u.  i think u wrote how we all feel.

the smiley face indicates sarcasm. plus redz and i have a good relationship with one another in the forums and thru pm's.

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 04:35:43 PM »

Offline radiodavidm

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 6

you aparently didnt read my other post following the one you quoted:

im just messing with u.  i think u wrote how we all feel.

the smiley face indicates sarcasm. plus redz and i have a good relationship with one another in the forums and thru pm's.
Fair enough, and absolutely no slight intended on your post.  I think I might have initially missed your second post (quoted above) but even so, it was clear to me that your first one was tongue in cheek.  It just offered me a chance to put into words something that I feel strongly about, that has been helpful when I'm getting too stressed out about whether we win or not. Namely that it's been an incredible journey!

TP for you for your troubles!

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 05:27:19 PM »

Offline TruthSerum

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
I thought I'd be satisfied after the Cleveland series -- there's always next year -- but it was clear that the Celtics were going for the gold all along, and they deserve nothing less. Just to witness their excellence of play & character is cause for much gratitude. God bless the Celtics.