Author Topic: Thanks For the Ride  (Read 11621 times)

Thanks For the Ride
« on: June 14, 2008, 10:21:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
As we stand on the precipice of what could be the final game of the season I just wanted to take a minute to reflect both personally and for this community how special it has been.

I grew up a Celtics fan.  I was lucky enough to see the end of the Havlicek era and go through my teens during the Bird era.  I grew up during a  period of virtually  non-stop success for this franchise, that was a continuation of a dynasty I only knew about through stories and my "Havlicek Stole the Ball" record.  Though I never saw him play, I knew Bob Cousy's retirement speech word for word.

Cowens, Jo Jo, Hondo, Larry, McHale, & the Chief carried on the legacy of this team to my generation.  But then a funny thing happened - or not so funny thing I guess - bad things started happening to this blessed franchise.  We've been stuck at 16 championships since 1986.  Over 20 years without a banner raised. 

The Old Garden went down, the new one went up.  Lenny died. Reggie died. Johnny died. DJ died. RED died.

We lost lotteries.  We lost and lost and lost.

We had glimpses of joy, but never the glory.  Only nostalgia.  The history of this team had become just that - HISTORY. 

The stories of the 60's dynasty, had become stories of the great Larry Bird, but there was no greatness to carry on the tradition, so the stories of the heroes of yore became ancient tales to a new generation.  Larry Legend was just a legend.

Which brings us back to tonight - on the eve of a chance to punctuate the final exclamation of the most improbable turnaround in the history of this sport.

It's truly an unbelievable ride this season has taken us on.  We all know what it has meant to go through this season in our own way.  For some the nostalgia.  For some the competitiveness.  For some the thrill of being there.  For some seeing a team come together so quickly and completely.  For some Beating L.A.. For some the Big 3.  For some PP. You get the idea.  There's a lot to love with these Celtics.

So, I just wanted to say that one more huge part of this ride for me has been becoming somewhat absorbed with CelticsBlog and sharing that absorption with so many others here who are going on the same ride with me. 

It's been pretty intense! And, honestly, I need a break from these playoffs - the intensity (and late games) are killing me. ;D 

Man, I'd love it to end tomorrow!

GO CELTS! Bring it home.

Yup

Re: Thanks For the Ride
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 10:29:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Very nicely said, Redz.  You've summed up a lot of our feelings there.  It's been an unreal year, and being a part of this community has only amplified that.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:30:47 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
this type of thread should wait until after we win.  if we lose im holding redz accountable for jinxing us!  ;)

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 10:36:49 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
On the other hand Dark lord its nice to say

No MORE

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 10:40:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
this type of thread should wait until after we win.  if we lose im holding redz accountable for jinxing us!  ;)

Nahhh...I'm feeling what I'm feeling right now.  Win or lose tomorrow, it's amazing to be sitting one game away from a title TONIGHT.  Right now I have anticipation still.  If they win the championship it will be completely reflection.

But OK, I can handle the burden of the jinx! ;)
Yup

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 10:41:48 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

Nahhh...I'm feeling what I'm feeling right now.  Win or lose tomorrow, it's amazing to be sitting one game away from a title.  Right now I have anticipation still.  If they win the championship it will be completely reflection.

But OK, I can handle the burden of the jinx! ;)

im just messing with u.  i think u wrote how we all feel.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 03:17:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I wrote this in a pre-bed stupor last night. Sitting idle, waiting for Game 5 for 48 hours clearly had me thinking.

Anyhow, just bumping it up, since I'm now fully focused on Game 5!

I'll be getting pumped up by taking my wife and kids to go see Kung Fu Panda.

GO CELTS!
Yup

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 03:37:06 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I wrote this in a pre-bed stupor last night. Sitting idle, waiting for Game 5 for 48 hours clearly had me thinking.

Anyhow, just bumping it up, since I'm now fully focused on Game 5!

I'll be getting pumped up by taking my wife and kids to go see Kung Fu Panda.

GO CELTS!

Ah the pre-bed stupor, often times when our most creative/sentimental feelings come out
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 04:03:22 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Ah the pre-bed stupor, often times when our most creative/sentimental feelings come out

that is *so* true! i was in bed last night, not sleeping, thinking, and i had so many great ideas about an upcoming article i'm writing etc and i woke up this morning and could not remember anything! hopefully they'll come back to me midweek because tonight i wont sleep much win or lose.

regarding your post redz, i've given you a tp for your perfectly delivered summary of my personal feelings. thanks. and a happy father's day to you.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 04:30:24 PM by celticmaestro »

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 04:10:39 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Beautiful.
TPWD! (Tommy Point Well Deserved)

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 04:21:31 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Well Said Red

Happy Father's Day.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 04:35:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Well Said Red

Happy Father's Day.

Thanks...You too
Yup

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 05:36:45 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'm just an echo, but I wanted to say it for myself: Well done, Redz.  Your thoughts are my thoughts - only expressed more eloquently. Thanks.

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 06:20:09 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Beautiful piece Red. TP. T-minus 2 hours & 45 minutes till tip and I've got my tears of joy chillin with the champagne. Hopefully we get a win tonight so I can bring both of them out!

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 06:39:40 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Nice read, Red, touching upon many of my own feelings both memorys and anticipations shared here on this years wonderful ride.

Thanks
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"