Author Topic: Shock of the day, Jemele Hill hates the Celtics.  (Read 31869 times)

Re: Shock of the day, Jemele Hill hates the Celtics.
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 12:11:08 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Not surprised, (knowing her) ... but discouraged ... she should be ashamed of writing this crap for the sole purpose of stirring up the race pot and inciting hatred and intolerance. Somehow I don't think our forefathers had this kind of garbage in mind when they wrote the Bill of Rights and the intents of Freedom of Speech. Leave it to such self-serving hate-mongers to twist the written and spoken word to fit their warped needs and spew their venom for the sake of controversy and selling copy. Sad ... really sad.

"...inciting hatred and intolerance..."

"...hate-mongers..."

"...spew venom..."

You're being a bit dramatic with this aren't you? You can't possibly read that article and get that from it.

FG/.

again
the main problem isnt Jemele writing it but some people publishing it.

and others commenting on it.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2008, 12:13:27 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
She looks like a black male, anyway.

End of thread.

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2008, 12:16:28 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Not surprised, (knowing her) ... but discouraged ... she should be ashamed of writing this crap for the sole purpose of stirring up the race pot and inciting hatred and intolerance. Somehow I don't think our forefathers had this kind of garbage in mind when they wrote the Bill of Rights and the intents of Freedom of Speech. Leave it to such self-serving hate-mongers to twist the written and spoken word to fit their warped needs and spew their venom for the sake of controversy and selling copy. Sad ... really sad.

"...hate-mongers..."

"...spew venom..."

You're being a bit dramatic with this aren't you? You can't possibly read that article and get that from it.

FG/.

While this particular article was fairly muted in its use of race, the fact is mention of race was completely unnecessary.  What possible good was there in bringing up the Charles Stuart murder, other than to draw upon and inflame emotions?  The Hitler stuff...  that was just asinine, and completely inappropriate.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2008, 12:18:25 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Offensive. Comparing liking the Celtics to cheering for Hitler is offensive. It diminishes all the atrocities the Nazis commited when you compare their leader to a sports team. She needs to publicly fired.

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2008, 12:21:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
She couldn't write a piece on why she doesn't like Boston by talking about the past battles between the teams. 

But, instead, we get negative ideas that she attaches to the Celtics. 

Celtics = Hitler
Celtics = ussr dropping nuclear bombs
Celtics = white and racist. 

She was reaching, badly. 

I expect more out of ESPN then to publish this. 

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 12:23:14 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I´ve just finished reading the article and this thread, my first response was directed ather low holocaust-comment, I saw others already mentioned the accomplishments of the Boston Celtics.

"...hate-mongers..."

"...spew venom..."

FG/.

C´mon, that´s exactly her intention.
You may be smart enough to overlook the venom she is spewing, but I can assure you, others are not. Kids are not. All that kids and dumb non-celtic fans will get from this is that Boston has always been a racist city and that it´s bad to root for the Celtics, just as bad as killing 6 million jews because of their origin and religion...

...and kids and people who don´t reflect what they´re reading are exactly her target audience at ESPN.

Offensive. Comparing liking the Celtics to cheering for Hitler is offensive. It diminishes all the atrocities the Nazis commited when you compare their leader to a sports team. She needs to publicly fired.

Exactly
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2008, 12:26:33 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

"...hate-mongers..."

"...spew venom..."

FG/.

You're kidding, right? How can you not get that from it? Guess it's all about perception, but this was way over the line in my book. To each his own, but I'll never be in support of anything that uses race as a point of leverage, or that makes comparisons to Hitler even lightly.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 12:29:16 AM »

Offline mikeford

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 18
As I've said before regarding this pathetic excuse for a sports journalist, I gotta feel bad for any other females trying to break into the business, because Jemele is setting them back about 30 years with every ridiculous piece of dribble she turns out.

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2008, 12:30:26 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Yeah, but she made a comparison to Ron Artest's bad rapping, so that makes things all better, right?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2008, 12:30:54 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
As I've said before regarding this pathetic excuse for a sports journalist, I gotta feel bad for any other females trying to break into the business, because Jemele is setting them back about 30 years with every ridiculous piece of dribble she turns out.

Only if someone's sexist enough to assume all females write the same way.

Presumably men are above that kind of thing?

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2008, 12:32:26 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Who is she, again?

Yeah. Who cares.

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2008, 12:34:19 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70

Yeah, but she made a comparison to Ron Artest's bad rapping, so that makes things all better, right?

None of those jokes worked.

But I'd still argue, for good or bad, comparing something to Hitler (e.g. the soup nazi jokes on Seinfeld, which hit the cultural zeitgeist over a decade ago) is not really that inflammatory anymore.

I mean - if she'd made a joke like "cheering for the Celtics is like cheering for the suicide bombers on Sept 11" I'd understand reactions being a bit more heated.

FG/.

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2008, 12:35:29 AM »

Offline mikeford

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 18

Only if someone's sexist enough to assume all females write the same way.

Presumably men are above that kind of thing?

I think we all know thats not really the case though.

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2008, 12:36:23 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

None of those jokes worked.

But I'd still argue, for good or bad, comparing something to Hitler (e.g. the soup nazi jokes on Seinfeld, which hit the cultural zeitgeist over a decade ago) is not really that inflammatory anymore.

I mean - if she'd made a joke like "cheering for the Celtics is like cheering for the suicide bombers on Sept 11" I'd understand reactions being a bit more heated.

FG/.

Still something you don't want to read on a sports site, especially from a bigot like Jemele Hill.

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2008, 12:38:19 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
il take a quote from harry potter

"Idiotic Woman. Never liked Her"