Author Topic: Dick Bavetta to referee Game 5?... Hope not. -Simmons archive  (Read 3217 times)

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500
This is from an article that Bill Simmons wrote way back in 2002 right before the NBA Playoffs. It's written right after the infamous Lakers comeback in game 6 against the Kings. Pretty interesting stuff, especially the last paragraph on Bavetta. I dont want to believe that the NBA is rigged but sometimes I have a hard time believing otherwise...

Question: What was the most disturbing subplot of the playoffs?
Answer: The officiating, also the most disturbing subplot of the past four playoffs. If you examine the last four NBA playoff campaigns, during every situation where the league definitively "needed" one of the two teams involved to win -- either to A) change the momentum of a series so it didn't end prematurely, B) keep an attractive, big-market team alive in a series, or C) advance an attractive, big-market team to another round -- the officiating appeared to be slanted towards the team that needed that game. I use the phrase "appeared to be," because reviewing an official's performance is purely subjective. Maybe I'm dead-wrong.

These were just the games that jump out in my mind (again, I could be wrong):

1999, Knicks-Pacers, Game 3 ... LJ sinks a game-winning four-pointer (called a continuation foul by referee Jess Kersey even though LJ was fouled a full second before he released the ball).

1999, Knicks-Pacers, Game 6 ... Knicks last chance to close out Indy before the series shifts back to Indiana for Game 7 ... they get every call.

1999, Spurs-Knicks, Game 3 ... down 2-0, the Knicks get every call in their first home game and win their only game of the series.

2000, Knicks-Heat, Game 7 ... Knicks advance to the conference finals ... falling out of bounds, Latrell Sprewell awarded a timeout by referee Bennett Salvatore with 2.1 seconds left even though none of the Knicks called for one ... Sprewell admits after the game that he hadn't called a timeout ... the Miami players chase the referees off the court after the game, yelling that they had been robbed ... after the game, Jamal Mashburn tells reporters, "They had three officials in their pocket" and Tim Hardaway refers to referee Dick Bavetta as "Knick Bavetta."

2000, Lakers-Blazers, Game 7 ... LA shoots 21 more free throws and rallies back from a 17-point deficit in the final seven minutes ... Shaq plays an illegal defense down the stretch, undaunted ... Rasheed Wallace absolutely gets manhandled down the stretch, yet doesn't get a single call ... up by four with 25 seconds left, Shaq body-blocks Steve Smith out of bounds and the refs don't make the call (the most egregious non-call in recent memory).

2002, Celtics-Nets, Game 4 ... Celts up 2-1 ... the Nets are inexplicably allowed to push and shove Kenny Anderson and Pierce while they dribble the ball ... a number of head-scratchers go against Boston, including three offensive charges down the stretch ... four different "bull-(bleep)" chants during the game.

2002, Lakers-Kings, Game 6 ... LA needs a win to stay alive ... from an officiating standpoint, the most one-sided game of the past decade ... at least six dubious calls against the Kings in the fourth quarter alone ... LA averaged 22 free throws a game during the first five games of the series, then attempted 27 freebies in the fourth quarter alone of Game 6 ... rumors that David Stern wanted to pull a Vince McMahon and declare himself "The special guest referee" for this game prove unfounded.

(By the way, I would feel remiss if I didn't share this information: Dick Bavetta was assigned to every one of the above games. That's an absolute fact. You can look it up. Doesn't mean anything ... I just felt the need to pass that along. It sure looks bad, doesn't it? Maybe the league could do a favor for Bavetta and not assign him to Game 3 of the Finals, especially if the Lakers jump to a 2-0 lead over New Jersey. You wouldn't want to rile up those conspiracy theorists or anything. Ummmm ...)

Re: Dick Bavetta to referee Game 5?... Hope not. -Simmons archive
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 05:25:51 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
This is from an article that Bill Simmons wrote way back in 2002 right before the NBA Playoffs. It's written right after the infamous Lakers comeback in game 6 against the Kings. Pretty interesting stuff, especially the last paragraph on Bavetta. I dont want to believe that the NBA is rigged but sometimes I have a hard time believing otherwise...

(....)

(By the way, I would feel remiss if I didn't share this information: Dick Bavetta was assigned to every one of the above games. That's an absolute fact. You can look it up. Doesn't mean anything ... I just felt the need to pass that along. It sure looks bad, doesn't it? Maybe the league could do a favor for Bavetta and not assign him to Game 3 of the Finals, especially if the Lakers jump to a 2-0 lead over New Jersey. You wouldn't want to rile up those conspiracy theorists or anything. Ummmm ...)

Funny thing (just to add some fuel to the conspiracy theories): Dick Bavetta was assigned to Game 3 of the finals. Lakers won by 3 points with a 35-14 FTA differential in their favor, in spite of the Nets outscoring them 52-38 in points in the paint.

http://www.nba.com/games/20020609/LALNJN/boxscore.html

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
My fear is that it will be Bavetta, Palmer and Washington. Conversely it could also be Jack Nicholson, Flea and Dyan Cannon.  :-\

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 05:34:56 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
My fear is that it will be Bavetta, Palmer and Washington. Conversely it could also be Jack Nicholson, Flea and Dyan Cannon.  :-\

Somewhere, Kenny Mauer is sulking and feeling left out, Rebus.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 05:41:08 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

Somewhere, Kenny Mauer is sulking and feeling left out, Rebus.

-sw

True enough. Maybe Stern will introduce a 4 ref team.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:35:34 AM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500
Garnett- 5 fouls
Pierce- 5 fouls
Allen- 6 fouls
Brown- 5 fouls

I brought up this point before it was announced that Bavetta was refereeing this game. A lot of cheap foul calls and touch fouls in this game. When in the playoffs has Pierce Garnett or Allen ever had 5 fouls? I cant even remember a time. You cant win if the referees are going to continuously call fouls on everything you do. They took Garnett out of the game in the second quarter.

Down the stretch I thought there were a few over the back fouls that could have been called on the Lakers but weren't and then Kobe's "steal" that was actually a reach in foul...

More of the same from the NBA... $80 million more though, thats what they care about.