Author Topic: Why Did FG%'s Used To Be So Low?  (Read 2078 times)

Why Did FG%'s Used To Be So Low?
« on: June 14, 2008, 03:09:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
nickagneta said this in another thread:

6. Bill Sharman - the forgotten great often. the best pure shooter of his time who averaged 43-45% FG% in a time when the average FG% was probably in the mid 30's. And those were mostly outside shots.

Having looked at the stats from way back when I've always wondered why the FG% were always so low.  I didn't want to start a tangent in that thread.  But Nick, anyone, why?

Were players just worse shooters?  Was the D better?  Fewer dunks? Some combo.  What?
Yup

Re: Why Did FG%'s Used To Be So Low?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 03:18:25 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
nickagneta said this in another thread:

6. Bill Sharman - the forgotten great often. the best pure shooter of his time who averaged 43-45% FG% in a time when the average FG% was probably in the mid 30's. And those were mostly outside shots.

Having looked at the stats from way back when I've always wondered why the FG% were always so low.  I didn't want to start a tangent in that thread.  But Nick, anyone, why?

Were players just worse shooters?  Was the D better?  Fewer dunks? Some combo.  What?

Too many slow white guys :o

Don't know if this is correct or not, but I would guess that they called the game according to the rules more than today. I don't think you would have been able to plam the ball and studder step which makes it harder to defend your guy  back then. But I think the advent of the dunk has something to do with it and the fact that the athletes today are quicker and can jump higher.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Players weren't as skilled back then. The level of commitment and training at a young age these days is ridiculous.

Watch old film. Players back then look incredibly awkward. Ray Allen would look like an alien playing in a game in the 50s or 60s due to both his beautiful jumper form and his smoothness going to the hoop.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
Players weren't as skilled back then. The level of commitment and training at a young age these days is ridiculous.

Watch old film. Players back then look incredibly awkward. Ray Allen would look like an alien playing in a game in the 50s or 60s due to both his beautiful jumper form and his smoothness going to the hoop.

I'd give my left arm to see that. Just imagine 9 other guys watching in disbelief
Still don't believe in Joe.