Author Topic: Kevin Love  (Read 11837 times)

Kevin Love
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:17:50 PM »

Offline Spoon

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Obviously not for the Celtics, but I am curious what people think of him.

His draft measurements were 6'7" 3/4 without shoes and 6'9" with shoes. A 6'11" wingspan which is less than you would like for an interior player. Particularity one with a poor vertical leap. And not surprisingly, he wasn't in best of shape and really needs to turn that fat into leaner muscle.

You can't argue with the guy's production. Statistically, the 2nd best prospect in the draft production wise after Beasley. He played very well in the tournament and showed a knack for getting to the line. A skill that usually doesn't leave you when you hit the pros. And he is probably one of the better passing big men to come into the league in the past couple of years.

But will his athletic and physical shortcomings kill him in the NBA? You can see how he will have a tough time defending NBA players. And there are huge questions since he can't overpower people like he did in college. He lacks the quickness, length, or athleticism to post up or establish position for rebounds against NBA players. He'll have to rely on physical strength, technique, and his intelligence.

Re: Kevin Love
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 11:22:37 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
any team that picks him will be in big trouble. He has the second coming of raef lafrentz written all over him.

He is a smart player, has alot of skills like passing understanding plays etc, its just the guy will get dominated on both ends of the court with the lack of any quickness nor athletism

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 11:22:43 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
 I don't think he'll ever be a star in this league because he is simply not athletic enough or tall enough. I do think he could be a Starting PF on a team that has a legit center already(la clippers come to mind wih Chris Kaman) and be pretty productive. He is a great outlet passer, probably the best I've ever seen as a freshmen in college.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 11:52:56 PM »

Offline OtherRedHead

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
Please do your homework...

If Love is "unathletic" then why is Beasley (who is equal to Love in ALL of the following categories) a good pick.  on paper they seem of equal athelticism.  Maybe your "eyes" are seeing something mine aren't 

Player       No Step   Maximum    Bench Press (185 lbs) (Repetitions)  Lane Agility Drill 3/4 court
         Vertical  Vertical                                                             sprint
               Jump      Jump

Michael Beasley 30.0       35.0     19                                   11.06           3.24
Kevin Love   29.5      35.0            18                                  11.17          3.22

Player   Height w/o Shoes   Height with Shoes      Weight  Wingspan  Standing Reach  Body Fat
                                                                                  Percentage
Michael Beasley  6' 7"     6' 8.25"      239.0    7' 0.25"     8' 11"     7.7

Kevin Love   6' 7.75"    6' 9.5"      255.0   6' 11 .25"    8' 10"            12.9

http://nbadraft.net/2008nbapredraftcamp007.asp
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 12:08:08 AM by Edgar »

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 12:03:03 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
any team that picks him will be in big trouble. He has the second coming of raef lafrentz written all over him.

He is a smart player, has alot of skills like passing understanding plays etc, its just the guy will get dominated on both ends of the court with the lack of any quickness nor athletism

before you go with a statement like this, just remember that at the age of 25 in his 51 game stint in Denver Raef averaged: 14.9 pts, 7.4 rbs, 1.2 asts, and 3.0 blks on .466 shooting with .434 from downtown. These were not fluke numbers, as the season before in his 78 games for denver he averaged 12.9 pts, 7.8 rbs, 1.4 asts and 2.2 blks. but then he got injured. But if you could draft the second coming of Raef at the 15th pick, you'd happily take that. 

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 12:07:07 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
I rank Kevin Love as the third best player in this draft. Very talented basketball player that's going to have a very good career. Whoever lands him is going to be delighted.

Unlikely to be a franchise type player but I do see him becoming a borderline All-Star and perhaps even a bonafide All-Star. Very gifted player.

His athleticism or lack of is completely overblown. He has more than enough athleticism to compete in the NBA, it's not going to be a problem for him.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 12:24:50 AM »

Offline pjob23

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
I don't know about that... did you see how out of shape and tired he looked playing against the athletic team in college basketball Memphis. He couldn't even get up and down the court. He needs to drop 10-15 lbs before he steps foot in an NBA game or he is going to look like the Fat Perk out of High School.

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 12:29:28 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I don't know about that... did you see how out of shape and tired he looked playing against the athletic team in college basketball Memphis. He couldn't even get up and down the court. He needs to drop 10-15 lbs before he steps foot in an NBA game or he is going to look like the Fat Perk out of High School.
He's already lost that weight since the season ended.

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 12:29:45 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I would not touch him inside the top 10.  Just don't like him that much.  Pretty funny actually, I had a debate with a friend at work - I don't like Love or B. Lopez or Mayo, he loves all three.

My main gripes with Love was that he may be slightly undersized at PF (although the position seems to be gravitating back to the burly 6'7"-6'9" guys, and away from the trend KG started... Duncan, Dirk, JO, Gasol, etc...) and too slow for SF.  I also questioned his work ethic/conditioning, and really didn't like his attitude in college - the kid is extremely cocky and I really don't like that from a player who hasn't done anything.

Then the report came out about Love and the workouts he started immediately after UCLA was eliminated.  Lost something like 13 points, been working a ton on his endurance and lateral quickness... but I don't know.  Just don't think he has the right head on his shoulders.

Career role player, maybe sniffs an all star game or two.  I figure a smaller, but better, Brad Miller.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 12:50:52 AM »

Offline CelticFanInLA

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
hey everyone, I have been reading this site and forums for almost two years and I haven't had motivation to post until reading this topic. I go to UCLA and have had the pleasure of meeting Kevin Love and watching him play for a year. I understand the criticism of his athleticism, but he has great character and drive. He went out of his way to create a personal relationship with John Wooden, who he speaks with every week, Bill Walton and many other alumni. My friend saw him working on post moves with KG in the gym. His heart and head are in the right place and he lead our team in the NCAA tournament. HIS UNCLE IS THE LEAD SINGER OF THE BEACH BOYS

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 01:01:38 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
I don't like love enough to draft him top 20. After that if he was there for the celts to pick, sure mite

Look at for example adam morrison. Suppose to be like larry bird in the nba. Same with jj reddick, suppose to be like the  next ray allen.

Both players can't do their thing cuz they aren't athletic nor quick enough to seperate themselves from more athletic and quick players to get their shot off

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 01:13:14 AM »

Offline OtherRedHead

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I don't like love enough to draft him top 20. After that if he was there for the celts to pick, sure mite

Look at for example adam morrison. Suppose to be like larry bird in the nba. Same with jj reddick, suppose to be like the  next ray allen.

Both players can't do their thing cuz they aren't athletic nor quick enough to seperate themselves from more athletic and quick players to get their shot off

Translation: "Love will suck cause he is white.  White people suck at basketball (except Larry Bird)"

READ MY POST UP TOP.  Love has NBA athleticism.  He will be a top 5 pick.  Hoopshype compares him to David West (illegal I know to compare a white and black player) and I think that is waaaaaay more accurate than a Brad Miller.  Kid's got post moves.  Plus lineage with the Beach Boys.  Attitudes like that are killing the "white athlete".  Let's look objectively at a player for once.

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 01:18:04 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Translation: "Love will suck cause he is white.  White people suck at basketball (except Larry Bird)"

READ MY POST UP TOP.  Love has NBA athleticism.  He will be a top 5 pick.  Hoopshype compares him to David West (illegal I know to compare a white and black player) and I think that is waaaaaay more accurate than a Brad Miller.  Kid's got post moves.  Plus lineage with the Beach Boys.  Attitudes like that are killing the "white athlete".  Let's look objectively at a player for once.

Sorry, but any discussions involving race are not allowed ... it might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the CelticsBlog rules again. Just a friendly reminder ... please try to stay away from race, religion, and politics ... thanks.  :)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 01:20:12 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

as far as white players go I would take Joe Alexander before Love. Alxander has a chance to be an all star in this league, his game reminds me of Dirk Nowitzki except Alexander is way more athletic but isn't as consistent with his jump shot as Nowitzki, but is still a very good jump shooter in his own right.

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 01:23:57 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Early in his career I expect Love to be a lot like Memo Okur except Love is naturally a better rebounder, passer, ballhandler, more willing to play in the post and is smarter overall. That's a nice start to building yourself a very good career.