Author Topic: would you bring back house , pj brown and offer posey something better??  (Read 30635 times)

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Am I the only one who dislikes Mourning? He mailed it in on Nets franchise that stuck with him through tough times, also refused to play for Toronto.

Our 13th man once summed it up nicely. "Man, he didn't play like that when he played for us," Scalabrine said on the Nets' way to going down 3-0 in the first-round to the Miami Heat.

Mourning is anyway no Fred Hoiberg.

"I made intelligent business decisions that benefited Alonzo Mourning,"

That was terrible but it's not enough to overlook how fantastic a player he has been. One of my favourite defensive players of the past 20 years. I could sit down and watch clips of Zo in his prime playing defense for days at a time. Him and PJ Brown were an incredible combination. PJ was one of the best defensive players in the league at the time and the difference in defensive ability between him and Alonzo was huge, he was that good. Excellent shot blocker.

Perkins should be learning from Alonzo Mourning game tape.

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
David Harrison isn't an angel but he's fine. He might run into some very mild trouble off the court but he's fine in the locker room. When he's in practices or on the court he plays hard on both ends. Very competitve. Likes to muscle people in the paint. If he ever learned to control himself on the basketball court he'd be a starter in this league because he has the skills, just not the mentality. Veteran laden team like the C's are with good leadership from the top players, minimum contract with a small role in the team, good place to take a risk on him developing. Injury concerns are what would keep me away from him, that and I think Elson is better.

I don't agree. His per36 stats have declined over his four years with the Pacers, he plays defense with his hands, picks up cheap fouls and loses focus faster than Gerald Green.

Off the court: he's been suspended for violating the league's drug policy (which required him failing three drug tests), though I'll agree and call that mild trouble.

But on the court: he was suspended as recently as this season for "conduct detrimental to the team" for telling an official he was going to kill Matt Bonner, this after already being substituted out. (And he ended up needing a couple of stitches in his head, continuing his fit in the visitors locker room.) He also punched a fan in the infamous '04 Auburn Hills brawl.

And since his name so rarely comes up, here is my least? favorite - admittedly outdated - anecdote, written by one of his former CU teammates (via freedarko via deadlyhippos):

During a visit to Taco Bell very early one morning in Boulder, David initiated an altercation with another vehicle by cutting them off and skipping them in the drive-thru window. He then encouraged and challenged current deadlyhippos writer, JT that he wouldn’t “slap the guy that we just cut off behind us.” Please take into consideration that the only characteristic that JT has consistently shown during my 6 years of knowing him is that when he is “dared” to do something, he ALWAYS obliges, especially when the action has a disrespectful tone to it. JT exited the vehicle and it was not 10 seconds before he was coming back toward our vehicle. He got in and he was followed a few seconds later by an enraged man carrying a knife, who apparently had just been slapped. David exited the vehicle and the man continued his incensed attitude and said to David, “I don’t have to take this **** man; that **** was uncalled for.” David meanwhile was staring at the man and just had this to say to him; “You are right, you shouldn’t have to take that, but what else can you do. I will give you two options, one, you can hand me the knife and get back in your car and drive away; this is the option I suggest you take. Two, I will take your knife and use it on you.” The man handed the knife to David and angrily returned to his vehicle.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 06:20:09 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

Offline keith

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Everyone seems to think PJ is going to retire after we win.I see it a little different.I think that there is more likelyhood that he will be back if we win.Also if we draft a center,I think he will be an excellent mentor.He also play,s a very controlled concise and smart game.I would like to see House back but there are so many players that have his type of game.That he could end up being a victim of numbers.Sam will find a home some where just not in Boston.Posey i hope they find a way to keep him here for the next 2/3 years but i have a funny feeling teams will be overpaying for his services.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
ok, in enormous fit of arrogance powered by excellent beer, i will ignore the previous 5 pages of posts. i have moved to a new city (pittsburgh) for a new job (which i like) and am just now emerging from a "move coma."

i have no doubt whatsoever that ainge will keep posey in boston. in fact, i think posey would love to be part of a mini "celtics-dynasty" and would like to stay if the celtics show their appreciation for him. and lets face it, he has been very good in the playoffs.

house? i like him and think he adds depth to the bench. but he can be replaced and is not all that important to championship number 18. (my gosh, isnt it absolutely fantastic to begin talking about number 18?))

pj? i doubt he wants to come back all that much. he will finish his career with a ring. good for him and thank you very much.

so... by no later than tuesday, let the threads open on who should occupy the celtics bench next year. now back to some more westmalle dubble.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline 35Reggie

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
It would be great to have all three back next year but the only one who is absolutely vital to their success is Posey.  Pollard has played important minutes for other teams, so as long as he's healthy I don't mind having him, BBD, and Powe taking the minutes of Brown.  House has provided shooting off the bench all year and I'd love to see him back as well.  However, if he comes back I would like him to take the role of Ray Allen's primary backup.  That would give him more minutes and keep an aging Ray Allen fresh for the entire season.  Ultimately, it all depends on how valuable these guys think they are and who else is going to be available.  We are in the unique position of being considered a desirable place to play, so there is a chance that a fresh crop of hungry vets replaces at least 2 of those 3.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
David Harrison isn't an angel but he's fine. He might run into some very mild trouble off the court but he's fine in the locker room. When he's in practices or on the court he plays hard on both ends. Very competitve. Likes to muscle people in the paint. If he ever learned to control himself on the basketball court he'd be a starter in this league because he has the skills, just not the mentality. Veteran laden team like the C's are with good leadership from the top players, minimum contract with a small role in the team, good place to take a risk on him developing. Injury concerns are what would keep me away from him, that and I think Elson is better.

I don't agree. His per36 stats have declined over his four years with the Pacers, he plays defense with his hands, picks up cheap fouls and loses focus faster than Gerald Green.

Off the court: he's been suspended for violating the league's drug policy (which required him failing three drug tests), though I'll agree and call that mild trouble.

But on the court: he was suspended as recently as this season for "conduct detrimental to the team" for telling an official he was going to kill Matt Bonner, this after already being substituted out. (And he ended up needing a couple of stitches in his head, continuing his fit in the visitors locker room.) He also punched a fan in the infamous '04 Auburn Hills brawl.

Yeah minor stuff

Offline CavemanDoctor

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I would love Najera on this team.  He's like a Posey in that you hate him when he's on someone else's team but learn to love his hustle and general pest-like nature when he's on your team.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I saw this thread and it had to do with free agents so I decided I'd leave my list. I know a lot of these people aren't a possibility but they are just guys I like.
2008 Free Agent Wish List

Restricted: Josh Childress, Josh Smith, Emeka Okafor, Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Delonte West, Jamaal Magloire, Eduardo Najera, Andris Biedrins, Monta Ellis, Carl Landry, David Harrison, Shaun Livingston, Juan Carlos Navarro, Ryan Gomes, Craig Smith, Robert Swift, Jose Calderon, Carlos Delfino

Player: Melvin Ely

Team: Paul Millsap

Opt Out: Baron Davis, Jermaine O'Neal, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Gilbert Arenas

Unrestricted: Chris Duhon, Matt Barnes, Patrick O'Bryant, Mickael Pietrus, Kwame Brown, DeSagana Diop, Chris Andersen, Carlos Arroyo, Lorenzen Wright, Kurt Thomas, Francisco Elson, Antawn Jamison
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
Everyone seems to think PJ is going to retire after we win.I see it a little different.I think that there is more likelyhood that he will be back if we win.Also if we draft a center,I think he will be an excellent mentor.He also play,s a very controlled concise and smart game.I would like to see House back but there are so many players that have his type of game.That he could end up being a victim of numbers.Sam will find a home some where just not in Boston.Posey i hope they find a way to keep him here for the next 2/3 years but i have a funny feeling teams will be overpaying for his services.

will no one ever learn?  PJ has played about as awful as someone can play this postseason. Need proof? Check out the "Ray Allen for MVP" post linked today and see the Wins Contribution chart:  http://bucksdiary.blogspot.com/2008/06/ray-allen-is-runaway-mvp-of-these.html

He's washed up. He's done.  Removing him so Doc can't have an "experience hunch" is a huge positive for this team.

I guarantee that if we had PJ all year and he played ~17mpg like he has been, taking Powe's minutes, we would have won about 4 less games. 

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I was listening to ESPN/LA and they were talking about the Lakers going after Posey.  >:(
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I was listening to ESPN/LA and they were talking about the Lakers going after Posey.  >:(

Nooooooooo!
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Nooooooooo!

That was my thought as well.  I think DA will give him an extension.  I think he's worth the MLE.  I think he's that important to the team's success.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Offline thedawg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Posey and House should be the definite players we need to keep for the next 2 seasons as their energy which they bring to this team has been of high importance.  I think PJ Brown will quit after this season and will call it a day for good having a ring to his name.  Sam Cassell can do whatever he wants but please get rid of him!  He is not a team player the way he plays this game.  I also would like to see Pollard leave and somehow try to get him traded along with Scalabrine too.  We definitely need Posey and House and get a PG and a PF (if not two) for next season.  Executive of the year, D. Ainge will give us something to think about.
In Danny Ainge I Trust!

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I would suspect Posey wants nothing to do with LA.  Doesn't seem like his kind of team IMO.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
The situation of who comes back is extremely complicated for a number of reasons. First the Celtics are going to be WAY over the luxury cap. Secondly this has all the earmarks of an unusual draft for getting a backup center with upside and the possiblity of trading up is always there. There are also a couple of SG and SF that are intriguing. I don't remember seeing so many potential players (not superstars as there have been many "star" drafts) coming out in one draft.
That being said, getting Posey to stay is a given. However if the Celtics were able to get R.Lopez or Koufos and Walker, CDR, by doing a sign and trade with T. Allen, that might change who you would keep. i.e. If you trade T. Allen, then you want to keep House. If you get R.Lopez, you might want to keep PJ as an insurance policy. However if you don't get those guys, you might want to spend the money for Diop for instance. Or Kwame Brown if you think that Clifford Ray can "fix" him.
I think this could be a "nothing" offseason or one of great suspense depending on what other teams want to do. If you work the spreadsheets with a sign and trade for tony you get a lot of possible very interesting trades.