Author Topic: would you bring back house , pj brown and offer posey something better??  (Read 30637 times)

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
At Posey's age, I'd give him a 2 year contract at $10 million a year, with a team option for a 3rd. Plus, I'd offer a no trade clause.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Why should Posey opt out? Can't we just extend him for another 2 seasons?
Posey could likely make more money on the FA market this season. At least he could earn more guarenteed money on a longer contract.

I don't think it's a done deal that he opts out but I do think it's likely he does opt out.
I have a hard time believing that Posey (and House for that matter), who took pay cuts to come to the Celtics will opt out for money.

For one, Posey didn't need to have the second year if he planned to opt out and look for cash. Then, bith of them strike me as the type of folks that value having a role in a winning system.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
PJ:  Not a chance in hell.  We're winning in spite of this guy, not because of him.  We're deep with big men time and never needed him to begin with.  Time to let Powe shine and give Davis more of a role, too.

I can't believe no one else caught this!!!

I think we can all agree P.J. has been a huge help to our team in these playoffs. He's consistent on defense, knows when and how to foul the other team hard, can (and did in Game 7 vs. Cleveland) make big shots, and is apparently an excellent mentor to the younger guys on the team. Originally, I thought of this as more of an insurance move, but over the course of the playoffs P.J. has proven that we did in fact need another big. We wouldn't be where we are now if we went into the playoffs with only Powe, Baby, and Scal off the bench.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
Posey:  3.4 million a year is not too shabby.  I don't think Posey can get much more than that from the market.  He might want an extension though.  If so, something reasonable like 3 years at 3.5 mill per year is reasonable.

House:  Only if he's willing to accept his current salary.  I would not give more.  It's not hard to find good, veterans shooters who wants to win a championship.

PJ:  He'll retire with a ring.  But if he wants to come back for one more year at the minimum, sure.

Powe:  He's a keeper.  Let's see what he can do for one more year.

I would not bring back the following, (I would buy out their contracts if needed): Big Baby, Pollard, Sam, Tony Allen, Scalabrine.  

Here's a question:  Our #30 pick will be guaranteed a contract, right?  First round draft choices are guaranteed big money, right?  If so, I might consider trading the #30 pick and avoid the extra expense.  This is a veteran team, we only want to give decent money to those who can make an immediate impact.  We don't need "projects" making big money on a veteran team.

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Baby has talent and upside we should keep him and see what develops.  A #30 does not command big money that is the bottom of the first round only lottery picks command large salaries. A number 30 pick may not play out of the NBDL the first season.  I do think it makes sense to trade the pick though.

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Posey and House you have to keep. PJ at the right price.

Bye bye to Sam, TA, Pollard and Scal if you can.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Posey could likely make more money on the FA market this season. At least he could earn more guarenteed money on a longer contract.

I don't think it's a done deal that he opts out but I do think it's likely he does opt out.

I have a hard time believing that Posey (and House for that matter), who took pay cuts to come to the Celtics will opt out for money.

For one, Posey didn't need to have the second year if he planned to opt out and look for cash. Then, bith of them strike me as the type of folks that value having a role in a winning system.
Players get player options in their contracts so that they can opt out and make money if the opportunity is there. If it was only about being in Boston he would have just signed a two year deal without any options.

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

Players get player options in their contracts so that they can opt out and make money if the opportunity is there. If it was only about being in Boston he would have just signed a two year deal without any options.

Possibly, or he wanted flexibility to move on if it didn't work out. One of the big three gets a career ending injury, he doesn't get along with the coach, the team doesn't mesh well with each other... It's hard to say, but he doesn't strike me as the type to be after the dollar or else he would have likely signed elsewhere.

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
PJ:  Not a chance in hell.  We're winning in spite of this guy, not because of him.  We're deep with big men time and never needed him to begin with.  Time to let Powe shine and give Davis more of a role, too.

I can't believe no one else caught this!!!

I think we can all agree P.J. has been a huge help to our team in these playoffs. He's consistent on defense, knows when and how to foul the other team hard, can (and did in Game 7 vs. Cleveland) make big shots, and is apparently an excellent mentor to the younger guys on the team. Originally, I thought of this as more of an insurance move, but over the course of the playoffs P.J. has proven that we did in fact need another big. We wouldn't be where we are now if we went into the playoffs with only Powe, Baby, and Scal off the bench.

Well said.

If PJ wants to come back, it'd be great for us. Size, defense and experience win playoff games.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Possibly, or he wanted flexibility to move on if it didn't work out. One of the big three gets a career ending injury, he doesn't get along with the coach, the team doesn't mesh well with each other... It's hard to say, but he doesn't strike me as the type to be after the dollar or else he would have likely signed elsewhere.
Posey signed with Boston in large part because the market had dried up and he wasn't getting MLE type offers. Boston was a media darling and a contender, a great chance for him to showcase his talents and play for the type of team he enjoys.

I do agree with both of you about Posey being the type who will sacrifice some money to play on both or either: (1) A contender (2) A team he enjoys. Which is great news for the Celtics hopes of hanging on to him but I'm not sure that's enough to stop him from opting out. He's 31 years old, his next contract is likely to be his last. Getting guarenteed money and years on the table is very valuable to players in his position.

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I want Posey back, definitely. We might be able to get someone better than House but I wouldn't mind having him back. PJ is too old but wouldn't mind having him back either.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Hard to find skilled players who accept their roles and are proud of the uniform they are wearing...

Yes I would

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Keep this team together by paying Poze the maximum and find a way to retain House, you don't break up what isn't broke,ie a 66 regular season win team and soon to be crowned Champion!
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
Keep this team together by paying Poze the maximum and find a way to retain House, you don't break up what isn't broke,ie a 66 regular season win team and soon to be crowned Champion!

There is good sense in what you're saying.  However, other teams will make personell changes to improve themselves.  Detroit, Cleveland, San Antonio, NO, Houston are all capable of making the Finals with a few moderate tweaks in personell.  The Lakers will be better next year, even if all they do is bring back a healthy Bynum!  So, we cannot stand pat.  We have to improve. 

Our main weakness is that our PG is not a good shooter.  Since Ainge is committed to Rondo, then the next best thing to do is make sure we've got someone on the bench who can take his place when there is a need for more spacing.  Eddie is far from an ideal PG.  Witness the fact that Pierce and Ray had to bring up the ball last night!  It would be nice to have a back up PG who can bring up the ball and who is also a good shooter.  That's why I'm hoping Danny Ainge can acquire Sasha Vujacic.  Who knows, Phil might decide he needs more seasoned experience on his bench and go for a Lindsay Hunter.  They may let guys like Sasha and Farmar go.  Of the two, I much prefer Sasha V.  He's the modern day Danny Ainge, even in demeanor and attitude!

Offline westupcali

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
If it ain't broke don't fix it. But of course we have to check out the stats of any inconstitancies here and there. But the group we have now is cool. But lets just try and focus on getting one more double U before we jump into any conclusions. peace